I need to lose 20 pounds

by Heartbreaker 88 Replies latest jw friends

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

I don`t know if it`s available in the USA, but here in the UK they are prescribing a drug called Orlistat, it stops your body absobing fats in your diet. I tried it and it does work, but the downside is that you will spend a lot of time in the rest room! if you know what I mean.

It`s now an over the counter drug in the UK, but it is quite expensive.

Obviously, diet and exercise are the real solutions, but it is very hard to get into, epecially if you have any medical conditions that restrict your mobility.

Vodka and grapefruit?, never tried that, but it`s not as fattening as Beer, or my favourite Guinness, I think, although all alcohol is really empty calories. But whatever gets you through the day.

As for pictures of youself, just do what I have with my picture here, its me when I was a dub, 25 years ago!

I don`t mean to advertise or anything, so if I`ve broke any rules could the Mods please delete this post, as I don`t want to get into trouble.

All the best

Paul UK

• StAnn
    StAnn

My doctor has recommended the South Beach Diet for me and my husband. However, I can't afford all of the fresh things and best meats for my family of five. So I'm following the American Diabetes Association Diet, which is portion control and calorie control. It goes back to counting carbs, counting calories, extra fiber and low fat.

I have to do a menu every week and put portion sizes on my menu, based upon how many calories we're allowed to have. (My husband is allowed more calories than I am.)

Weight loss is very boring work.

StAnn

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Obviously, diet and exercise are the real solutions, but it is very hard to get into, epecially if you have any medical conditions that restrict your mobility.

99% of the time the medical condition is "i'm fat and lazy".

Vodka and grapefruit?, never tried that, but it`s not as fattening as Beer, or my favourite Guinness, I think, although all alcohol is really empty calories. But whatever gets you through the day

Acohol is metabolized as sugar in the body, be it guiness (hey, I did have 5 of those at lunch yesterday) or vodka or scotch.

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

99% of the time the medical condition is "i'm fat and lazy"

Agreed, but some people have such things as Ischeamic Heart diease, Arthritis, Angina, Asthma, Diabetes and as the first poster said Thyroid problems.

Some people are lucky, or have strong willpower and can stay thin all their lives.

Many, many of us can`t.

If I`d had six kids (now that would be something, my wife had one, and I didn`t gain a pound, it has cost me many £££s though over the last 17 years), I`d not really expect to look like Kate Moss.

Regards

Paul Uk

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Agreed, but some people have such things as Ischeamic Heart diease, Arthritis, Angina, Asthma, Diabetes and as the first poster said Thyroid problems.

Yeah, some people. Some. Very very very few. A lot of those are secondary conditions brought on by "fat and lazy". Diabetes (adult onset, at least) is caused by fat lazy poor diet. I have asthma, a prescribed inhaler, everything. I ran a 5K last night with one section a half a mile uphill.

And 4 years ago I was 31 and almost 300 lbs. I have 100% become disdainful of people that use medical excuses or claim that they can't lose weight. Won't is more like it.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Me too..

• zzaphod
    zzaphod

Yeah, some people. Some. Very very very few. A lot of those are secondary conditions brought on by "fat and lazy". Diabetes (adult onset, at least) is caused by fat lazy poor diet. I have asthma, a prescribed inhaler, everything. I ran a 5K last night with one section a half a mile uphill.

And 4 years ago I was 31 and almost 300 lbs. I have 100% become disdainful of people that use medical excuses or claim that they can't lose weight. Won't is more like it.

I`m sure everything you say is true, although I have no idea what causes Thyroid problems, I don`t have the condition.

In my case the heart problems were cause by cocaine abuse, the arthritis is septic arthritis caused by eczma, and the asthma is a result of smoking 30 cigarettes a day on and off since I was 13.

Non of it big or clever I know. But not a fat or lazy in there.

But 100% disdain? I reserve that for terrorists, murderers, rapists and the like.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with Jehovah`s Witnesses, unless they are now selling a book on losing weight. Then again I wouldn`t put it past them.

Paul Uk

• lola28
    lola28

First things first. If you do have a thyroid problem, go to your doctor and sit down with him/her and have them explain your medical condition to you so that you understand it, it's silly to say "I have a medical condition and know nothing about it", it is you job to ask questions and be as informed as possible!

If you think working out is hard stop and think about how hard things will be when you end up with type two diabetes and have to give your self a shot of insulin any time you sit down to eat. Thinking about that has really helped me, my little sister has type 2 diabetes caused by another medical problem, the poor kid has to count carbs before she sits down to eat and I've started myself on the "diabetic diet", for example if I want a cookie I'll stop and ask myself, "If I had diabetes how much insulin would I have to give myself to cover this?", thinking like that has a way of making you put the cookie down,lol.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    4 years ago I was 31 and almost 300 lbs. I have 100% become disdainful of people that use medical excuses or claim that they can't lose weight.

Ah, yes, the "reformed whore" syndrome. I must say, you DO wear it well, dear NVL (peace to you!).

I was skinny ALL of my life. UNDER-weight. To this day I marvel that boots, no, SOCKS... even stay up on my legs. I grew up having to wear RUBBER BANDS to keep my knee-highs up at school! I weighed 117 when I had my first child. She weighed 8.7 of that. I weighed 124 when I had my second. He weighed 7.2 of that. My "normal" weight was 103 from the time I was 16 until I was 38 (although, besides pregnancy, I got up to 106 one summer when I virtually lived on Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream pops... after getting tired of everyone telling me I needed to "gain some weight". And it all went right away as soon as I let the pops go (I went down to 98!). But... we're talking a pop a DAY for close to 3 months... and I only gained 3 pounds!).

Now, at age 50... I am overweight, "mildly obese" some would say. Although, everyone SAYS "you don't LOOK overweight" (how can that be, when the "charts" say...??). But I am, if the "charts" are anything to go by. My weight is NOT the result of being "fat and lazy" however (those who know me say I am anything BUT lazy - in fact, I am often asked to sit down!). Mine is the result of a VERY common... but SERIOUSLY overlooked causation: medication. Which I personally believe is the LEADING cause of weight gain and obesity in this country (and all of the other "side effects"... which require even MORE medication!! Is anyone really LISTENING to the disclaimers on the drug commercials... I mean REALLY listening? "May cause..." and now they're up to "lymphoma, carcinoma... even death"...).

What medication resulted in MY weight gain? Glucocosteroids. Taken topically... in the form of a clear lotion. Starting slowly from age 24 (after I had my son)... then ramped up at age 35... continuing to age 45. A drug that wasn't SUPPOSED to be taken for more than ONE year... and certainly not more than 5 years! And EACH time I would tell my doctor(s) my "symptoms" (severe and SUPER fast weight gain (60 lbs the year I turned 39!), severe hair loss, severe pain in my abdomen, breathing problems, gargantuan fibroids... and, finally, DIA-FRIKKIN-BETES)... I would be told "Oh, that doesn't happen if you take them TOPICALLY; it only happens when you take them ORALLY, like Predisone."

And yet, Barry Bonds took HIS steroids... topically. Yep, through a "clear lotion." I ask you, dear NVL... did HE gain any weight? You BET he did. And it was finding out that he took his TOPICALLY... that made me quit. I mean, for YEARS I ask about it... and fought with by doctors about it. For years. To be told, "Oh, no, you REALLY need to use this; nothing else will work for you. So here's another prescription. And do NOT stop taking it because serious harm (including death!) could result if you do."

And I tried... and TRIED... to wean myself off over those years. But that was a NIGHTMARE. Finally, about 4 years ago... I did it. After hearing about Barry Bonds and how he went from a skinny pip-squeek to Iron Man... by taking steroids TOPICALLY... I just stop taking it.

By this time, however, I was taking diabetes pills. I cannot describe to you the PAIN my body went through... oh... my... God. My internal organs... ALL of them... literally screamed. Crunched. Over... and over... and over. And to this day I don't know if it was one (the steroids) or the other (the diabetes pills... which, BTW, cause... you guessed it... weight gain... legs cramps... and chest pains!)... or both.

TODAY, though, although I am overweight... I am steroid... and diabetes pills.. FREE! The pain in my body finally "calmed down"... and, having now been diagnosed as a Type I Diabetic (vs. a Type II - "Adult Onset")... I take insulin (NO side effects, other than coma if you take too much - I know - can't "win" - LOLOLOLOL!)... and aspirin/Tylenol. Nothing else. And I walk, fairly regularly... but the weight has not come off. But... I don't hurt anymore. My chest doesn't hurt. My guts don't hurt (omg, praise JAH!). My legs don't hurt. I am virtually PAIN free!!

And so if my choice is pain... or weight... I'm going with weight. Because I can live with that a little easier.

I hope that helps "enlighten" you a little better... and perhaps even help you dial down your disdain just a tad. Because, just like alcoholism, drug addiction, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and other "physical" ailments... obesity, too, can have it's origins in causations, onsets, and malfunctions of the physical body... vs. merely absence of will.

I bid you peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    I have 100% become disdainful of people that use medical excuses or claim that they can't lose weight.

I have become distainful of arrogant pieces of shit that yap a lot and know almost nothing. I prefer to get my facts from reputable sources.

Just because you couldn't control your eating in the past don't assume that everyone is a fucking swine like you.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit