I need to lose 20 pounds

by Heartbreaker 88 Replies latest jw friends

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Or so.

I hate to exercise, therefore I haven't really ever done it, and stuck with it. I'm 37.

I've had 6 children, and am quite sedentary. I get really bad migraines when my blood pressure rises, hence hating excercise.

I've had to go back and correct the spelling of excersice three or more times because I'm so unfamiliar with that word.

I don't believe in cutting out entire food groups, doing crazy "eat only this" diets, or pills.

I like to drink, mostly vodka in grapefruit juice. Is this really that bad?

I like to cook, and I like food...but mostly grilled, baked, hardly EVER fried, and lots of veggies and salad. I think my portions are OK.

I was in the past diagnosed with a slow thyroid, and haven't been taking my medication.

Oh, and I hate excercise.

So....with all that info, ADVISE PLEASE WHAT YOU WOULD DO!!?? I see pictures of myself on Facebook or whatever and I really think I don't look like that, until it's proven otherwise. I don't like that feeling.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

For me, if I cut my head off that would roughly be the 20 lbs. I need to lose! So, I think I'll stay the weight I'm at for awhile yet.

Outaservice

• Peaches1978
    Peaches1978

hmmmm that's the problem there dude,, low thyroid, i should know i have it also, no matter what you will do exericese eat right or not, you will always have trouble losing the weight and you will gain even if you do the right things. its crazy... thanks to the lil butterfly that sits on our throat. and that'a a NO, NO, if you not taking your meds for it, you can lil by lil make it way worse for you or even go into a coma. it almost happend to me. I've been battling this for 2 years now... you'll be sirprised of the other sytoms this carry's you should do reach search on the internet.... wish you luck.

Peaches 78

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Ask your Dr for a reference to a dietician (if you need a reference, that is).

Speak to the dietician who will take into consideration your age, weight, lifestyle factors.

Good luck!

• donny
    donny

I lost about 80 lbs 3 years ago. It comes down to changing old habits. I often found myself eating when I was not even hungry, especially when plopped on the couch watching television. I knew from past experience that no "diet" was going to work for me. I asked a gut at work how he has lost his weight and he said it was from changing his daily habits on a permannet basis. He quit indulging in bad foods like candies and sugar based sodas and he started walking everday. First for 30 minutes and then and hour. He also bought a few small dumbells and did some weight training. He absolutley hated it at first but after he began seeing results, he began to like it more.

It's all about calories injested versus calories expended. Some of us are more fuel efficient than others and we have to put forth more effort to keep those punds at bay. Everyday I put on my IPod and go for a jog or walk and I try to get in at least an hour a day. In fact the picture I use for my ICON here was one I took of myself while out on one of those walks here in Nothern Calirfornia.

Just start light and easy and s-l-o-w-l-y begin. Then add a little each week.

Donny

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

in 90 days I'll have insurance, and then will likely do that BP...thanks!

Peaches, what do you use to treat yours? I am starting (today) to use Armour Thyroid again. It's worked in the past, and I just go by how I feel, as it's more important than blood levels, especially since I also have Hashimotos Thyroiditis. It sucks.

OOS - I've lost my head before, I still looked like I needed to lose weight, and I also looked like an asshole. Not good times.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Well I recently lost about 15 pounds in just about three months. I'm like you, love food, love to cook etc...........I was a size 8 when I started and am down to a loose size 6. I had been a size 8 for 10 years which means I had some pretty good maintance habits but still knew for my heighth dropping 20 would be ok. So I absolutely, with the help of a friend at the time, got dedicated to loosing the weight finally. I started writing down what I ate and kept to a strict 1100 cals a day but of GOOD food so I felt full, like veggies, fruit, grains and did not feel hungry. I never cut out even one food, I don't believe in that either. On the weekends I allowed myself one day of indulgence which is usually pizza! And I started going to a trail over here and walk/jogging three miles EVERY day. That was the key. And on the days I hated it, I just said I HAD to do it to reach my goal.

My hang up in the past was always making excuses for not just doing what I had to do. This time I was absolutely dedicated and the weight has just come off. I've been so happy to have to buy a whole new summer wordrobe including buying a red bikini that I plan on wearing to the beach this summer! I haven't warn a bikini since I was a kid! So if your really serious, it's about counting calories and absolutely exercising everyday. Or at least 5 days a week. As I got to a goal I added more calories which is a good sign. I went up to 1200 and the more I loose the less I have to exercise (three days a week for maintance) and the more I get to eat! Sounds weird but it's true because you change your matabolism. I have not stopped cooking or eating the things I love, but I was very strict on keeping to that certain amount. The biggest motivator for me now is going shopping and buying anything I want. I bought all size 6 recently and plan on being a healthy 4 by summer. It will work if you are dedicated.

And wow, SIX kids?? Your so young? I'm 39 and have two!

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Thanks Wildflower! I'm gathering by your response that I need to direct my desire to lose a specified amount of weight to perhaps a desire to reach an activity goal and feel good about that, and follow it up by good food choices. I believe that. And yes, 6 kids. It's insane. Had the first 2 months before I turned 20. Thanks JW early marraige and kids right away! If you have facebook, PM me, I'd love to add you on that side of life, then you can see all my crazy kids and 20 extra pounds (at least)

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Thank you Donny! I think I will start TOMORROW with your advice about walking a bit every day....I know, I know...just tomorrow because it's raining AGAIN all day with thunder and lightening. I miss the sun. Dang Midwest.

And way to go on the 80#!!

• awildflower
    awildflower

That's another thing: I told myself lets just go for 10 by a certain date, then I passed that up and said ok another 10. And also, don't always go by the scale. I really go by my clothes because there are so many things that can make us weigh more in numbers. Check your pm:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit