I need to lose 20 pounds

by Heartbreaker 88 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

oh, the old low thyroid excuse again.

Fact, a low thyroid means that it's HARDER to lose weight, but your body won't magically put calories in your body.

You don't get migraines when you exercise, you get exertion headaches. different animal that wll go away as your body gets used to exercise.

Eat better, move more. It's not that complicated.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Wow thanks notverylikely. I didn't know what sort of headache I get, or what my thyroid health means. Thanks for clearing that up. Since it's not that complicated, I'm sure I'll just drop the pounds immediately.

• snowbird
    snowbird

The best to you, Heartbreaker.

Sylvia

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Thanks Sylvia...I appreciate it. Note that I said I need to lose 20 pds. I should have titled it "I'd like to lose 20 pounds". It's by no means a health issue, a life or death situation, and I know people suffer from far bigger things than a little pudge on the waist and arms (where I carry it). I have a lot to be grateful for in life, and don't mean to sound pathetic. I think I just started getting comfortable enjoying life, and letting my hair down, and realize that if I don't get a control on it now, the older I get the harder it will be. I'm actually looking into a Zumba class...they look fun!

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

In about a month and a half I have lost nearly 30 pounds, begining March 27th. I've not cut out entire food groups, just large portions. I still have pizza here and there and the occasional ice cream cone (though the last one I had made my stomach ache so bad I shall seriouly think twice before having another one in the near future). I eat a lot of stir fry now. Mostly vegetables, lots and lots of those, some chicken, BROWN rice, and some pine apple to sweeten it up a bit. I eat a TON of that just about every day. I still use dip on veggies, just not as much. Most importantly, I drink a LOT of water. Sometimes around a couple gallons throughout the day. Fills ya up. I eat a little chocolate every day too. Coffee might help, with the caffine kicking up the metabolism a notch. I'm no pro, but these things have worked well for me.

• awildflower
    awildflower

30 lbs in a month! Wow, it took me three to loose 15. That's like over 5lbs a week?

• journey-on
    journey-on

All you really have to remember is "if it tastes good, don't eat it." ;-)

Start off by just eliminating anything containing simple sugar, white flour, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oil.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

Furthermore, since you like veggies anyway, I'd suggest celery and broccoli, which, I understand, are negative calorie foods, meaning they take up more energy to process than they deposit. So you can pretty much eat to your hearts content with stuff like that. Also, though I understand you didn't say liver problems, but thyroid, get out in the sun for a bit every day, which should help with liver function. This is never bad. I hate being out in the sun, and when I say that I really mean that I detest it passionatly, BUT, it helps. Besides, if you're going to cut down on food and increase exercise, which ya hate, you might as well go for the entire miserable package right?

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

yeah wildflower, about a month and a half. And it has been hellish. I was miserable and had to resort to driving in the lane farthest away from any food joints for a while, or even taking back roads to avoid seeing the damn places in the first place. Now it isn't too bad at all, as I've no idea what some of that fast food garbage would do to me now. The pain would far outweigh the pleasure I imagine. In any case, I also exercised a lot. We have this incredibly large and steep sand hill about twenty minutes from where I live that I make ten round trips on couple or three times a week. Kills the knees at first, but it's relatively low impact. Works up a good sweat. Between changing habits, cutting back on caloric intake, exercise, and tons of water, it's working well.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Wow thanks notverylikely. I didn't know what sort of headache I get, or what my thyroid health means. Thanks for clearing that up. Since it's not that complicated, I'm sure I'll just drop the pounds immediately.

Well, if you change your diet and start moving you will. You can easily lose 5 lbs in a month by walking a mile 3-4 times a week, dropping 1000 (basically 1 piece of cake or one meal from McD's) calories a week from your diet and drinking mostly water. A mile walk should burn around 120 calories for the average in shape person on level ground (usually you will get closer to 200), times 4/week that's 480 calories/week, minus the 1000 calories for a 1700 calorie total difference in your caloric intake. Times 4 weeks, you are looking 6800 calories just in that alone, or 2 lbs of fat. Add in the muscle you are building will burn mor calories and you can get to lbs of fat easy easy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit