I need to lose 20 pounds

by Heartbreaker 88 Replies latest jw friends

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I could easily dispute a number of things you said. You have cited no reputable or verifiable sources of information, only your opinion. If I want opinion I'll go to someone capable of earning my respect. That could never be you.

Ok. So? Oh wait, you didn't check on anything I wrote and just threw some bullshit out there and thought anyone cared about your uninformed respect? Right, I'll get right on that. Wait, I already didn't care. Sorry, it's all taken care of.

Proclaiming your distain in this way indicates an unwillingness to engage in meaningful dialogue. You shouldn't be surprised when people respond with an equal distain for you. In short, don't dish it out if you can't take it, bitchboy.

I'm not surprised at all. In fact, it's usually the response when people post something with the theme of "I'm unhappy and I have a reason why nothing will ever work to change that because all of those involve me putting in some effort."

Guess what? If you don't put in the effort to make a change, nothing ever will. At least, not for the good. I'm very sorry my delivery method made you all butthurt and call names, but it is what it is. You can throw tantrums all day and call me names, but at least I was offering solid advice.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Wait till you have to give yourself insulin injections because you have diabetes!

And that's a problem, dear lola (peace to you)... because??

Again, peace.

A slave of Christ,

SA, who gives herself insulin injections

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Secondly, I DO know about my condition with my thyroid

Sure. OK, so your first post made it seem as if you have a problem you knew about but weren't doing anything about. If you are, then I stand corrected.

See? Now you can play along nicely and be helpful! This helps.

Fine, I'll be nicer.

Get a journal and write down everything you eat every day for a week. I mean EVERYTHING. Figure out how many calories that is and do NOT try to make it seem less. This ONLY works if you are brutally honest. Every bite of everything that goes in, salad dressing, that one peice of cookie from the tray, the glass of milk, everything.

You will likely be shocked at how many times you are eating food and how many calories they are. If nothing else, it will make you more conscious everytime you eat. A pound of fat is roughly 3600 calories. Walking a mile on level ground burns roughly 120.

Do ANYTHING you can to start building muscle. Muscle is denser and maintaining it burns more calories than muscle. Use a 5lb weight and lift it when you are watching TV or something.

Aerobic evercise (cardio) is amazing. Brisk walking for 30 minutes helps. A brisk walk you should be able to cover a mile and half in 30 minutes.

Cut out 1000 calories a week an that's over a 1lb a month. Add in the other stuff and without doing any hard work you can drop 5 lbs a month.

Oh, and cut out soft drinks, even diet, and jack your water intake through the roof.

• lola28
    lola28

Aguest,

You can't say that giving yourself shots and counting carbs is a pleasant thing! Financially having diabetes is costly! You pay higher heath insurance premiums (if you can even get coverage), highere auto insurance payments, the cost of the insulin itself is high (Novoloc costs a cool 400.00 for one pen!), I'm only touching on the financials of having something like diabetes, I'm not even going into the possibility of someone with it passing out while driving or having complications because of it.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    highere auto insurance payments

Really? My auto insurance company never asked me if I have diabetes. Maybe the policies vary depending on location.

W

• lola28
    lola28

Uhhu (auto insurance agent here) all companies have a section on the insurance application where they ask if you have any medical conditions and the first two listed are always diabetes, followed closly by mental disorders. My boyfriend was told he has it and he informed his insurance company and tada higher rates.

• bsmart
    bsmart

Something I have been doing is recording my intake and excersize on Fitday dot com. It has a free membership (also a fancy one for $). The free version is plenty good for me.

I have been counting carbs and doing water excersize (my knees are shot) 4 times a week. It really does help to be accountable to yourself. I try to keep my carb count under 100 grams or so and that means virtually no desserts, bread or potatoes and rice. Most of those foods may not be high cal in themselves but seem to always have fat componants i.e. bread & butter, potatoes and gravy etc. (At least that is the way I like to eat them) My carb splurge is oatmeal cause it really holds me all morning.

I eat plenty of veggies, berries, between 6-8 ounces of protein a day. Its coming off slowly I have lost 12 lbs since february.

Edit. Nuts are a little high calory wise, but low in carbs. I love almonds, the wasabi version or cocoa coated ones are really helpful. I eat 30 to 40 a day.. Soooo good!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Crap, join the club... [Not to denigrate your comments or dilemma, but...]

I could stand to lose 20 - 30 pounds myself...

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Aguest, You can't say that giving yourself shots and counting carbs is a pleasant thing!

Well, no, dear lola (peace to you!), it's not pleasant, but it doesn't seem to be any more unpleasant than, say, hiking a trail, running a 5k, sweating, bad knees, shin splints... and counting calories. I mean, since I've got to "count" something. I'm just sayin'...

Financially having diabetes is costly! You pay higher heath insurance premiums (if you can even get coverage)

Hmmm... that really hasn't been my experience. Usually, my employer covers my premium 100%. Right now, my husband pays $128.00/month for me (his employer covers him 100%), but my employer gives me $625/month toward insurance, which I don't use (because my husband uses his), so I put all of it in my 401(k))...

higher auto insurance payments...

Again, hmmmm... because it has never affected my auto insurance. I've never even been asked (we have CSAA - and, yes, I would have told them). To DOES cost me more in life insurance ($56/month vs. $35/month for a $250k term life policy), so I can see your point there...

the cost of the insulin itself is high (Novoloc costs a cool 400.00 for one pen!)

When I had Cigna, my pharmacy coverage was $10/prescription. That covered 3 boxes... 5 pens/box... so I got 15 pens for $10. Now I have Kaiser and I pay $10/vial for Novolog (fast acting)... which lasts a little over a month... and I get 3 months' supply at a time... and $30/month for Levimir (slow acting) because that doesn't give me leg cramps like the Novolin (which is the same cost as Novolog)... so I pay about $40/month.

Now, I totally get how that might be expensive for some people (my daughter, for example, who doesn't have insurance coverage)... but we can handle it right now. BTW, my gym subscription is $40/month, too...

I'm only touching on the financials of having something like diabetes, I'm not even going into the possibility of someone with it passing out while driving or having complications because of it.

Yes, again, I can understand the concern. Praise JAH that's never happened to me. I don't take my insulin before I drive, but before I eat (and if I am going to drive, I take, say, 1/2 before and the rest when I get where I'm going)... and when I go to bed. Do I "crash"? Very infrequently, yes. But it doesn't come on like you don't know it's coming (at least, not for me). The risk of passing out doesn't come from having the diabetes (unless you SO high, well, you really should be in the hospital)... but from taking insulin (very low blood glucose can result). But the remedy for that is don't shoot up and drive. Like drugs. Like alcohol. Like cough medicine.

I mean, I'm just sayin'. While some people may be able to control their diabetes (i.e., some Type II's, not all; otherwise, many MANY more would BE in control - duh!)... Type I's don't make any insulin and so HAVE to take it. We don't have to stop living as a result, though.

I hope you understand and, again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

A few points I have gathered on my own journey:

1) Losing weight is "80% nutrition and 20% exercise," meaning that seemingly, about 80% of the effort in losing weight is just eating right. You can exercise like a madman (or madwoman) and still look fat if you don't get your diet under control.

2) Make a lot of small changes that are habit-forming. This is because permanently losing weight hinges on life style, not 10-week diets, "Master Cleanses," or overly-ambitious work-out regimens. Permanent change requires a new life style, nothing less. No one can make this kind of change without preparing themselves mentally for what that entails.

3) You want quick change, but bear in mind it is in the interests of almost the entire diet and exercise industry to offer you that, falsely. The best change is long-lasting and permanent. Therefore, you should think in terms of months and years, not days and weeks, and only choose diet and exercise routines that encourage you to establish a new life style.

4) There is no secret to losing weight. In fact, it is one of the simplest things, ever: You either consume fewer calories than you burn, or burn more calories than you consume. Energy in, energy out.

5) Never let discouragement stop you. Your body is a habit-loving machine. Change WILL happen.

6) Throw your scales away and never step on them again.

7) Focus on real foods and whole foods, and don't get side-tracked by organic culture. Organic foods are great, but there is a lot of "nutrition advice" that comes from the hippie quarters that is just plain wrong (e.g. that people don't need much protein).

8) Re-train your tastebuds. Less sodium, less starch, less sugar, more protein, more greens, more whole grains. Make as much of your food from scratch as you can. It will be healthier and will taste better and be cheaper.

9) For a few days at least, log everything you consume, just so you can take an objective look at what you eat. This can be the very first thing you do to change your life.

10) Finally, don't obsess over anything! Don't obsess over your image, and rise above the guilt the media wants you to feel about it! It's okay to go out and eat a cheeseburger once in a while. It's okay to eat chocolate, candy, soda, etc., just in moderation. Moderation is a boring word no one likes, because it means that we make long-term, life style choices, and those are the ONLY choices that can permanently change your life and body.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit