Lies, lies, lies being fed to the to American public.... ie: Gulf Spill

by restrangled 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Beks, perhaps I am behind in my current affairs. I thought you were referring to the bank bailouts, TARP, and all that. Is there something more recent going on?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Beks asked the following:

Restrangled, I ask you please to do your homework, and do not say "the Senate" or "Congress". Look in to who is decent (shouldn't take long). We need to reward them while we punish the others. The unknown is not going to be better than the good guys that are there. It's our responsibility to know who they are.

Since I generalized so much just wanted to give an update on C Span coverage today May 19.

The House Transportation and Infrastructure committee has been asking some great questions of BP and Transocean.

So far there are two on the committee who have been kissing the oil company's hind ends. John Duncan of Tennessee, Republican and John Mica, Republican. There were others but the above 2 were especially bad.

Mica was so bad as to suggest this was all the Obama Administrations fault but.....he was not going to point fingers! Thankfully, the Chairman quickly called him to task and said the people involved were all still in place for the Bush admin. making the decisions.

Strangely, in the middle of Mica being called to task....C Span was cut off both on Cable and the internet. It was back up after that exchange was over.

One interesting fact came to light. All parts of the rig were built in Korea.

r.

• restrangled
    restrangled

More important information that has come out!

Everything goes back to a Foreign company owned by the Swiss. But the works is operating under a Marshall Island Flag. Please read here for some eye opening info.

http://www.salon.com/technology/how_the_world_works/2010/05/13/gulf_oil_spill_flag_of_convenience

• restrangled
    restrangled

Mad dawg replied:

All your ranting about greed reminds me of the joke about the Puritan that couldn’t sleep at night because someone, somewhere was having fun.

What is your solution? I see you constantly complaining about everyone that makes a profit, but you are silent regarding solutions. Be specific.

Answer:

Here is a short term solution to off shore drilling that I agree probably has to continue to maintain our way of life....just a start:
    All oil rigs, ships etc., operating in the waters surrounding the U.S. have to operate under our own flag. If you are raping our minerals for your own benefit, you have to employ our companies, people, etc. from start to finish. You have to employ our steel mills, our experts, scientests, chemical companies......everything has to come from the U.S. Everything has to be built and assembled here by U.S. citizens. You must file corporate papers, and pay taxes.
    You may not hide under a foreign Flag.
    All oil and minerals taken from the United States and surrounding oceans must stay in the United States and cannot be sold for a better price to some other country because you might make more of a profit somewhere else.
    Just a start.
    r.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Shale oil. Oil sands. Coal. Those things already exist, and could negate the need for drilling off shore with some money and greater technology put into them.

sammieswife.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Restrangled, thank you for the thoughtful reply. I have a question: I understand that having the rigs built in the US enables us to control the quality. How does requiring the sale of the oil to the US prevent oil spills?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Shale oil. Oil sands. Coal. Those things already exist, and could negate the need for drilling off shore with some money and greater technology put into them.

Heh.

There is a reason why we drill for oil, it is cheap.

These are exploitable resources, sure. But they are nonconventional. They are not profitable beneath a certain price point. Why go for shale oil that costs, lets say, $75 a barrel to extract, when you could go for regular crude that you can pull out of deep ocean for $20? The price for oil on the world market is in the high $60's right now. Think about it. Let me add, it takes a lot more energy to extract from these nonconv sources. Think of energy like money. Accounting. There is an energy returned on energy invested. Conventional oil, that comes out of a well, has a far better energy account balance than the stuff you cite.

Also, these nonconventional sources have issues also, including environmental footprint. The Canadians are working their tails off trying to ramp up production in the Athabascan tar sands, and it will have a huge impact on the local ecology. Plus, it is water-intensive. Water isn't exactly the most common resources in many places, and runoff from these operations needs to be dealt with.

BTS

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Sammie, I wholly agree that we should be using those resources, the problem is that they are officially off limits. When the barrel of oil hit $140 a year or so back, sand and shale oil would have been profitable. Yes, there are issues to be dealt with, but we will never solve the issues if the environuts keep these off limits.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Mad Dawg, as I mentioned it was a start. The other problem is our own government employees being influenced by the Oil companies run-amok in the various govt.departments, which apparently there is a huge problem.

The MMS was notorious during the Bush Admin for crossing boundries, and the OBama admin is just now addressing the problem. I understand that there were priorities to deal with, but what I don't understand is why there isn't accross the board firings.

These are things that have to be handled quickly.....not months or years through hearings.

It makes me dizzy. I have sent some research to Senator Nelson from the Swiss from 10 years ago which explains our exact situation.

I have not seen it quoted anywhere, yet the these Companies are based out of Switzerland.

Stopping leaks......there needs to be a firm hault in deep sea drilling until all this gets straightened out.

Just my take. Sorry for any mispelled words....

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Emerging reports are raising the question of just how much of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill journalists are able to document.

When CBS tried to film a beach with heavy oil on the shore in South Pass, Louisiana, a boat of BP contractors, and two Coast Guard officers, told them to turn around, or be arrested.

"This is BP's rules, it's not ours," someone aboard the boat said. Coast Guard officials told CBS that they're looking into it.

As the Coast Guard is a branch of the Armed Forces, it brings into question how closely the government and BP are working together to keep details of the disaster in the dark.

Furthermore, this may not be the sole incident of its kind. According to Mother Nature Network's Karl Burkhart, his contacts in Louisiana have given him unconfirmed reports of equipment being turned away or confiscated.

WATCH the CBS report:

Watch CBS News Videos Online

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit