No Shorts and T-Shirts After Convention - Remember?

by mentallyfree31 42 Replies latest social humour

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Mad Sweeney - you know what, i have seena newspaper clippings of just that. Advertising that JW's were so serious about their worship that they endured the hot sun for all day and people were passing out. I think I have that saved somewhere. I will look.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think that rule was only given in 2007. I think it was dropped after that. Unless I'm mistaken.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thankfully when I was growing up and still attending district assemblies we didn't live far from where the DA were usually held and could go home every night. You better believe we changed into more casual attire as soon as we got home.

• Room 215
    Room 215

The solution is simple: NEVER wear a JW badge; then nobody can attribute what you're wearing -- or not wearing, as the case may be -- to your religion! In this instance, as in so many others, JWs, especially the young, are tuning them out in droves.

• Think About It
    Think About It

The Borg is so disconnected from normalcy it is pathetic.

Think About It

• cantleave
    cantleave

I haven't seen the rules for year's convention - are they still expected to wear their badges whilst out in the evening?

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember being lectured by my self-righteous dub siblings when I would simply take my tie off, cuz' you know, it was like 100 degrees and all. Forget changing into shorts and a t-shirt.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The Borg is so disconnected from normalcy it is pathetic.

The incredible thing to me is that this "assembly rules control" seems to have grown up completely since the 1980s - I remember NOTHING of the kind back in the 1970s. No attempt to tell you what to wear, where to sit, where to eat, where to stay, etc. No rules on badges - I don't think we even had badges unless you were a volunteer in some particular job.

I would have expected them to grow more toward normalcy - especially after the failed 1975 prophecy - but NOOOOO: Normalcy is just not the JW way.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

When I heard this a while back, I just could not believe it!! When we were still in we were always assigned to go to the Distric convention in a city where it was 102-105 in the summer time. It was WAY to hot to sit outside and even have lunch! And when my husband would volunteer (bless his soul) for parking, the soles of his shoes would get so stinking hot on the pavement that the bottoms of his shoes would start to melt!!! I WILL NEVER forget that!! He would come in from outside EXHAUSTED!! Nothing seemed more looked forward to then getting out of that suit, necktie and those hot shoes, and then hitting the pool!!! I just cannot believe they would be SO controlling (ah..second thought.. yes I guess I actually can believe it) that they would try and prevent children and adults who just stood out in the grueling heat volunteering for them, from enjoying the pool each evening!!

I remember when we were kids, the summer convention was like our mini vacation! We LOVED the fact that we could go swimming in the pool!! Can you imagine how these little ones feel now...walking by the pool after the convention, having left their swimming suits at home...no longer being able to enjoy this wholesome activity, giving them a chance to get out all that pent up energy after a LONG BORING day sitting for hours and hours??

I thought that this new no shorts rule was if your out to dinner, and I thought that was bad enough...did anyone even really heed this council??? UNSTINKIN BELIEVABLE!!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty (Of the Thank GOD I am out class!!)

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

yeah, when i came back in the religion in the mid 90's it wasent like this. if i would have read or been told something like that, i would never of came back in. its crazy what this organization has become. its always been strict, but now its out of control.

i personally think that it went from high control group to cult after 2000-01.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Oh yeah, I remember. The DC was always in my backyard, so whenever I got the chance, I'd get home and change out of my suit (drenched with sweat thanks to the heat) and into something more comfortable. The nasty looks would never be far behind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit