No Shorts and T-Shirts After Convention - Remember?

by mentallyfree31 42 Replies latest social humour

• yknot
    yknot

From April 2010 KM: Highlights regarding clothing, conduct:

6 Dress and Grooming: Foreign merchants traveling on the road could easily recognize Jesus' family and other Jewish worshippers who were traveling to and from the festivals because of the fringed edges on their garments and the blue string above the fringe. (Num. 15:37-41) Though Christians do not wear distinctive garb, we are known for dressing modestly and being neat and clean. We should give particular attention to our appearance when traveling to and from the convention and while in the convention city. Even if we change clothes after the program, we should maintain a dignified appearance and wear our convention badge. In this way we will stand out from non-Witnesses and make a good impression on observers.

8 Opportunities to Witness: Many in the convention city will notice well-dressed, clean-cut visitors wearing convention badges, and this may arouse their curiosity, providing opportunities for us to tell them about the convention. One four-year-old brought his copy of a newly released publication to a restaurant after the program and showed it to the waitress. This opened the way for the boy's parents to invite the woman to the convention.

• Footwear: Each year a number of injuries occur that are related to footwear. It is best to choose modest, well-fitting shoes that will allow one to walk safely on stairs, gratings, and so forth

• Fragrances: Most conventions take place in enclosed areas with mechanical ventilation. Therefore, it would be loving on our part to limit the use of strong fragrances, colognes, and perfumes that may cause reactions in persons with respiratory or related problems.—1 Cor. 10:24.

• Restaurants: Honor Jehovah's name by your fine conduct at restaurants. It is customary to leave a 15 to 20 percent tip.

• dinah
  • JWoods
    JWoods

Well, not to give the Nazi JW high command any ideas - BUT:

If shorts and T-shirts are verboten "after convention", why would they be OK for the good JW at any time at all?

• dinah
    dinah

I'm surprised they haven't mandated ties for men and dresses for women 24/7. Reminds me of those crazy Mormon or whatevah's who had all their children confiscated.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Actually, I gave up on wearing the badges several years ago for the most part. At the convention and after the convention.

When I grew up, our family never took vacations - so the DC was a huge thing. It was the one chance that year to stay at a hotel and eat out a lot.

Over the past few years, our DC's have had some pretty exciting stuff happen. Two tennage girls got into a fight in the corridor one year over some guy. LOL

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Over the past few years, our DC's have had some pretty exciting stuff happen. Two tennage girls got into a fight in the corridor one year over some guy. LOL

I will hazard a guess that this was the ONLY exciting thing to happen during that DC...?

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

JWoods - haha, that year I believe it was.

• dissed
    dissed

April 2010 KM- District Convention reminders:

9 Is it proper for Witnesses to swim in Motel pools after the convention has let out? Although we understand some feel the need to have 'fun' after a heartwarming convention day, we really can't condone excessive entertainment. Swimming in moderation could be good (1Tim 4:8) but is it really necessary for ones salvation? If Christian Witnesses permit they're children to swim (perhaps an unbelieving mates insists, etc..) they should still be conscious of 'good convention manners'. (1 Co 10:31) Wearing proper modest attire, for young brothers, long sleeve shirts, full length pants, and shoes, and for young sisters, full robes, head covering, and veils would be chaste. Children should also set the example, by not running, yelling loudly so as not to disturb others relaxing, and should never be seen to be having fun. And of course, at all times, keeping their Convention Badges on for all to see.

10 Remember, the witness you give through your children's actions could help someone to see the Watchtower in a positive, not the usual negative way. (Rev 18:4) As one hotel worker noticed after seeing such well-behaved Witness children in the pool, "Who are you people? Is this normal?" The proud parents promptly invited the worker to the convention to learn for himself more about Jehovah's people. No doubt he came and is probably baptized now. (Mt 24:14)

11 Is it proper for Christian Witnesses to have sex privately in their hotel rooms after the Convention?.............

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

Sylvia

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well, I believe a lot of parents let their kids swim in the pool after dinner. But, I think it's just stupid to expect everyone to go out and eat in their dress clothes, especially children. Are they going to pay for everyone's dry cleaning? I think not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit