No Shorts and T-Shirts After Convention - Remember?

by mentallyfree31 42 Replies latest social humour

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Does everyone remember a few years back, when the KM directed that nobody should wear shorts after the convention while out and about? I don't have the reference, but I remember a brother in our hall made a comment that night at the meeting while it was being discussed. He was a very poor brother, with 3 children. His family never could afford to go anywhere or do anything. And as this part was considered, he commented that this would rule out swimming at the hotel at night, since shorts are required for swimming.

I remember feeling so sorry for those kids. The one chance that year to get away for a weekend at a motel with a pool, and they can't even swim.

Sad.

• yknot
    yknot

*** km 4/07 p. 4 par. 5 Follow the Christ by Manifesting Dignity ***
    5 Should we manifest a dignified appearance only when attending the program? Remember that many will observe us wearing our convention badges while in the convention city. Our appearance should make us stand out from the general public. Therefore, even during leisure time, such as when going out to eat after the program, we should dress as befits ministers who are in the city for the purpose of attending a Christian convention and should not wear such clothing as jeans, shorts, or T-shirts. What a witness this will give to the community! Jehovah is pleased when our appearance bespeaks our role as ministers.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks yknot. I couldn't remember exactly when that was. I am happy to say I went straight to the motel and changed into my jeans and went to eat that weekend.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

The Society is so out of touch that they don't even realize that if the teenagers wore jeans and t-shirts around after the sessions with their badges on it would actually give a positive appearance that there is some level of normalcy in the org.

• hereiam!
    hereiam!

I always changed in the car as we were pulling out of the parking lot! lol I couldn't stand to be in a dress and longer. I had it down to a system. It felt great.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

I was born into the

Jehovah's Witnesses

And all I got was this

Lousy T-Shirt!

• metatron
    metatron

This 'command' again reveals the greediness of the Governing Body. Even in the off hours at an assembly, they demand this lust for control, this greedy inclination to direct Witless lives down to fine detail.

metatron

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

And the control works on both those who obey and those who don't. It's ingenious.

Those who obey feel like crap because they're downtrodden by rules.

Those who disobey feel like crap because they're guilty of disobedience to the rules.

Rank and file dubs feel like crap. Borg wins.

BTW, is there a website database listing references to all the idiotic rules such as this one from the KM, the "don't record talks" KM, etc.? I think a compilation would be eye-opening in its sheer size.

• Heaven
    Heaven

If it's over 20 degrees Celcius, I wear shorts and a t-shirt. The higher the temperature, the less clothing I wear. Period. Or I pass out.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They would LOVE for you to pass out "while serving Jehovah." You'd end up as an experience in the next year's convention! Of course, they would change the story and add in so much crap that you probably wouldn't even recognize it as your own experience anymore but they'd hold you up as someone "willing to suffer for the sake of the good news."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit