Newbie: Roll Call ---- Oldies Returning: Roll Call

by cameo-d 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Read, read, read. Research, research, research. Write, write, write. Working knowlege of Hebrew and Greek. And here I am. I am part of a small congregation, and doing the work of a MS. Not good enough to be officially appointed. Low hours. Only good enough for Bible reading. Too wayward for any other part. I'm a "free-thinker." Slowly but surely scaling down operations. Only on this board can I have in depth discussions without people shouting "wolf" or is it "Apostate!" I have family in the Truth, so it'll have to be a fade, gradually, slowly, carefully. I had to work things out, also my understanding of the Scriptures. I think one grows, and then outgrows certain things. I cannot stomach hypocrisy and narrow-mindedness. Was it The Joker (Jack Nicholson) in one of the Batmans that told his gang: Go! Broaden your minds. Then they trash the art gallery with sprayguns. So yes, I do have a bit of a rebellious streak too.

• Quandry
    Quandry

bttt

• mouthy
    mouthy

Guess I a really oldie ,but welcome all newbies

• take me higher
    take me higher

Hi everyone, another newbie here. I was raised a witness, my parents got baptized when I was 3. I got baptized when I was 17 cause I felt it was the thing to do, like something is wrong with you if you don't get baptized by the time you're 18. I faded away over the years, never DF'd (although I should have been at times hehe). I'm 38 now married to a wonderful husband and have 2 beautiful young boys. My parents have always tried to get me to go back to the meetings but never in a pushy way thankfully, but one day over this past summer when I was giving my dad a ride to the district convention he said 'I wish you would become a witness again'. So I guess something inside of me just went off. After I dropped him off at the assembly I went home and started to get on the internet and start researching the witnesses history and reading a lot of other experiences from ex-witnesses. It's been a real eye opener to say the least. It has really helped me to get over a lot of the guilt I had about not going anymore. And now I definately know I don't want to be raising my sons that way. So it's been great reading the posts here, it took me a while to finally decide to get on here.

I do seem to be having trouble trying to get into my acct settings to change my picture and stuff, I don't see anywhere to go to do that. Am I missing it?

Thank you!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

welcome take me higher...

Love your story

• flipper
    flipper

TAKE ME HIGHER- WElcome to the board ! Nice to have you here. I know how it feels having JW relatives still in the organization. It's a challenge to say the least. I'm glad you've benefitted from the board here ! Look forward to hearing more from you ! Take care , I'm glad you have a great husband who is supportive of you as well as two young sons , and that you are happy. Good for you. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• take me higher
    take me higher

Thank you Found Sheep and flipper for the welcome. It is indeed a challenge having family that are still witnesses, I think I have been one of the fortunate ones though where they never crammed it down my throat or anything, but I still get the occassional 'you should know better than that' from my mother sometimes on issues. I have not told them how I really feel, I'm not ready to rock that boat and don't know if I ever will be. I think they know by now that I'm not interested anymore. My husband was never a witness, he supported me the few times I went to the meetings but didn't really understand why I was doing it, he said I was doing it to please my parents and now I realize he was probably right. I still have fear about the tribulation and armageddon though, guess from it being ingrained in me all those years. I'm still trying to work through that.

Thank you again for the welcome!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Oh no Fear!

have you read Crisis of conscience by Raymond Franz and Combating mind control by Steve Hasen? do it!!!! oh and mad sweeny is doing an interview with steve hasen tonight at 10

• mouthy
    mouthy

bump

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, take me higher.

I don't know how to change a picture, etc. I am sure some on this forum can tell you.

Sounds like you've been able to successfully navigate through life without shunning from your parents. Good for you! So glad, also, that you did the research on the history of the JWs, and are able to let the guilt go. I so wish I had done that over thirty years ago. I have no more guilt either, but want my thirty years back!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit