IT'S OFFICIAL - New Elder's Manual by end of 2010

by sir82 79 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

My source for that comment: "I think it's absolutely hilarious that the WTBTS no longer 'allows' people to tape-record talks!!!..."

It was a direct source; I'd heard that comment from a few posters on this board, but I didn't think much of it until I drifted into "JW C@fe" on FaceBook and read the comments of an [apparently] active, faithful JW on there - her comments went something like, "too bad we can't tape talks anymore, but the [I can't remember whether she said "Faithful and Discreet Slave" or "Governing Body"...] has stated that we cannot, and we must obey them - for they know so much more than we do as to what Jehovah's will is for his people..."

And now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go throw up...

I'll see if my computer will co-operate with me opening another window, getting into FaceBook, and getting more specific details as to where to find that comment - since I think Simon has banned us actually 'cut-and-paste' the quote, but I can DIRECT you to it... I think...

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Whoops. Just realized - the words of an active JW isn't exactly a DIRECT source - not like finding it in the magazines - but this may be one of those "regulations by implication" wherein the WTBTS issues a VERBAL edict but doesn't put anything in print...

"Weasel" behavior, in other words...

• ziddina
    ziddina

O-kay, let's see if this 'translates' - copies and pastes...

It did!!! This is on the "Wall", OLDER topics, dated February 24 at 11:37 am, under "Behold! God's Kingdom"... Posts #8 & #9 down from the initial subject post - you may have to 'expand' the comments section to see it...

[comment by JW C@fe... a moderator, apparently...] "I know, I love the site! Very useful. But, it appears the April KM question box (which I haven't seen yet) has a request not to post audio talks, so they may have been affected by this, as we know they have an entire section of just audio talks...we'll see...JWN will remove also, but not until we see the KM..."

[And another JW replies... ] February 24 at 6:33pm ยท ReportOlive Fabian Movida "i love the site too! but as we have learned, we need to obey what the faithful and discreet slave ask us to do.....For our own good!!! may Jah bless every1 of us so that we can endure the trials and challenges of life as well to cope w/world's demands but w/our integrity intact!!!! our publications are really a refreshment on this arid world!!!"

Definitely double-bleeeaaaahhhh...

• ziddina
    ziddina

So I got over-enthusiastic and mis-read "a request not to post audio talks" as "a request not to tape talks"...

Boy, is my face red... But, does that 'request' basically render audio taping of talks off-limits??? Another "regulation by implication" moment???

Zid

• sir82
    sir82
    But, does that 'request' basically render audio taping of talks off-limits??? Another "regulation by implication" moment???

The same KM article says recording talks "for personal use" is still permitted. The idea is, don't e-mail a talk to 5000 of your closest friends.

I suspect it is due to recordings of old and/or uber-weird talks that have survived and make JWs look loony (as if that is hard to do)...stuff like "Stay alive until '75!" and "Muslims or Chinese might be the next King of the North" or "getting a college education can reasonably be compared to shooting yourself in the head and surviving".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

On posting talks on the Internet.

I also think the society were perhaps not pleased that some brothers who are good speakers were developing somewhat of a personal following online. I was struck by this a few months ago when I found a site that had lots of talks by a local brother. The organization doesn't like to share the limelight. Plus there is always the risk that if someone's talks are popular online that he has a ready made audience should he ever wish to spread unorthodox ideas about anything, or shock horror if he goes apostate altogether. I don't know how likely that scenario is but I can imagine the Governing Body being concerned that it may be a possibility.

Unless they issue injunctions against posting talks online frequently though, I can imagine it being quickly forgotten and brothers doing it again before too long.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Any guesses as to the changes in this edition?

Yes. The book will contain nothing but blank pages which are to be filled in with notes at the Elder School. Elders will sign a document swearing never to reveal the contents of the notes or what was discussed at the school. The document will be signed in the Elder's blood fractions, because whole blood is forbidden to be used.

Farkel

• ziddina
    ziddina

Good points, Sir82 and SlimBoyFat...

Farkel!!! LOLOL!!!

I will attempt to stay on-topic this time... I am really looking forward to hearing the 'inside scoop' on the new "Elders book" - that is, if/when we eventually get the 'dish' from some dissatisfied elder...

Hmmm.... Wonder if the WTBTS' legal department will be able to rig it - regulate it - so that any 'leak' will result in a personal lawsuit against the elder who leaked it... That is, if they can figure out who leaked it...

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Ziddina - thanks for the clarification. I guess maybe OK to tape for personal use - but as SBF speculated, they don't want to let the popular speakers get a bigger following.

And just think of what would happen if those damned apostates got a hold of the tapes...~~!

• dozy
    dozy

New "Kingdom Ministry" school for all elders and ministerial servants, to be held (in the US anyway) between November 2010 and January 2011.

UK as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit