Health Care Reform Bill Passes - Now What?

by BizzyBee 118 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    We are already required to buy auto insurance.

Only if you drive a motor vehicle.

The 'individual mandate' requires you to buy health insurance from a private company (not health care) for simply being alive.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    The question of constintionality is a mute point. We are already required to buy auto insurance.

What about the homeless and the poor that cannot afford the mandatory health insurance? Will they all be fined and sent to jail for not complying with the law?

I'm unemployed and am trying to find a part time job so I can have some income coming in and at the same time trying to take care of my sick and bedridden wife. Nursing care at this moment is limited to 60 hrs a month, so I spend more time caring for my wife than they do. My wife also draws SSD and currently has Medicare and Medicaid.

Me, I have nothing, so if I can't afford the insurance premium that is required for me to pay, they will fine me and take me to jail, so who's gonna take care of my wife? The nurses can't be there 24/7 with the medicare/medicaid rules that is already in place to care for her at 60 hrs a month.

So you can see the dilemma that we are currently dealing with.

Yiz

• garyneal
    garyneal

All this talk about raising taxes to pay for this plan, SCARY!

The tax boogie monster is going to eat half my pay in taxes for this 'entitlement' program.

Hmmmm, considering that half my pay already goes out to things like health insurance, 401k, HSA savings, and dependent care flex, I don't really see where it is going to make a difference.

But I do see where it may be beneficial though.

If the government takes the money I am already putting out for health insurance and HSA savings in the form of a tax and I know I can now go to the doctor without having to fork over even more money to pay for medical coverage. SIGN ME UP!!!!

• recovering
    recovering

Yizman you are one of the "lucky ones" who would receive expanded medicaide benifits. The problem is how long will you need to wait to be seen?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

How long does it take anyone to see a doctor now? When I had private medical/dental insurance I had to make appointments 1 to 2 months out. Now that I'm on the state medical plan it's the same length of time. No one can just walk into a doctor's office unless they've call beforehand - like for an emergency appointment. If 35 million more folks are extended state/federal medical coverage give me some facts as to how long my wait will be, not fear tactics.

• garyneal
    garyneal
    Yizman you are one of the "lucky ones" who would receive expanded medicaide benifits. The problem is how long will you need to wait to be seen?

How long does he wait to be seen now? Without health insurance, he can't just go to any private doctor without sufficient cash up front. So without the cash, the wait there is indefinite. How about the emergency room? In my hometown, where unemployment is high, there are a lot of people there waiting for minimal services. Even hospitals shutting down or changing hands. Looking for a reason not to treat people.

How long is the wait now?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

You misunderstand, I have nothing, no SSD, no Medicare/Medicaid. My wife does. Her insurance only covers her, not me. It used to be for her kids, but that ended when they all turned 21.

So where does that leave me?

Yiz

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Me, I have nothing, so if I can't afford the insurance premium that is required for me to pay, they will fine me and take me to jail, so who's gonna take care of my wife?

Where did you get this idea? Those who can't afford insurance will receive proportional assistance with it. Sounds to me like you qualify for some kind of Medicaidor a stipend for caring for your disabled wife. A close relative of mine cared for her invalid husband for many years and received a stipend (since otherwise he would have been in a nursing home) plus SS.

• sir82
    sir82
    What about the homeless and the poor that cannot afford the mandatory health insurance? Will they all be fined and sent to jail for not complying with the law?

Subsidies:

• Individuals and families who make between 100 percent - 400 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) and want to purchase their own health insurance on an exchange are eligible for subsidies. They cannot be eligible for Medicare, Medicaid and cannot be covered by an employer. Eligible buyers receive premium credits and there is a cap for how much they have to contribute to their premiums on a sliding scale.

Federal Poverty Level for family of four is $22,050

Individual Mandate:

• In 2014, everyone must purchase health insurance or face a $695 annual fine. There are some exceptions for low-income people.

Medicaid:

• Expands Medicaid to include 133 percent of federal poverty level which is $29,327 for a family of four.
    • Requires states to expand Medicaid to include childless adults starting in 2014.
    • Federal Government pays 100 percent of costs for covering newly eligible individuals through 2016.
    • Illegal immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

For someone who spends 100 or so hours a week online, sending out stories of your monetary woes, it's surprising that you don't know that "Google is your friend".

Thank God for socialized medicine, eh, Yizuman?

• recovering
    recovering
    How long is the wait now?

If you read my earlier post you will see in the example of massachusetts the wait has significantly increased

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit