An Explanation of why TIME TRAVEL does not work

by Terry 110 Replies latest jw friends

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Time travel, or perhaps more accurately time dilation is possible and must be accounted for in measurements. The GPS sattelites used to triangulate one's position must account for time dilation or the accuracy would be much less than it is. One can travel forward in time when travelling at high speed relative to those not, because time moves slower for someone moving at relativistic (really fast) speeds. So let's say you're travelling at a fraction of the speed of light, for every one second that passes by for you two seconds will have passed by for someone not moving that fast.

Here's a good bit by Carl Sagan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp5gHev8JuQ

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

My intelligent contribution to the topic of time travel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqo37eH-Vjc

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

There is only the present, and it just left.

Judge Dread

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

time is a dimension

• JeffT
    JeffT

Direct quote from a physics professor at Washington State University (the class was "Physics and Society" - it was very interesting):

"The more we find out about the physical universe the more we find out the Buddhists are right - it is all an illusion."

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass
    (Remember, energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed....only changed).

I will have to disagree with this statement.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Cantleave: thanks for the answer :-) ... now how the hell did you become a JW? (where you a physicist?)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I think Terry's original post was very clear. The components for the physical environment that we inhabit right now were salvaged from previous physical realities. They can only be used at one time.

Even if it were possible to return them to their original forms it would mean dismantling our present physical reality. To do that we would have to die. More importantly, who would arrange all this?

If we make a list of the things we don't know and add them up we cannot simply shout: THIS MUST MEAN GOD!

There are plenty here that will! At that point anything is possible. We can achieve anything we want in our imagination but the physical universe is bound by reality.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Cyberjesus - no I did Chemistry focussing on Organic Chemistry specifically acrylic polmers and free radical polymerisation systems, I used to be in the adhesives industry.

I was brought up in the Cult, so I never reallt questioned anything even when studying - I learn't stuff text book fashion and did just enough to pass. I moved into process management and eventually sales and did an MBA.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Until we figure out what time is, personally I don't think we can rule out time travel. Given our current understanding of it, I would tend to agree but really we have no clue.

Close to the atomic level there are several items that seem to defy conventional science and remain unexplained.

I don't rule it out, though lacking the ability to travel at faster than light speeds, time travel would be completely worthless. The problem with most people is that their minds are firmly rooted on Earth.

Consider you had a magical time machine that would transport you back in time. Where would you end up if you did? Essentially it would be reducing your personal speed to absolute zero. To walk you backwards through the concept.

1. The earth is rotating, you would not be in the same spot on earth
    2. The Earth is rotating around the sun, you would not be in same path of the planet
    3. The Solar System is moving within our galaxy, you would run the risk of not being in the same solar system
    4. The galaxy is moving as well...

This pattern likely carries out as you continue to step back.

So for me, I would state that time travel is unlikely but science seems to have a way of solving previously "impossible" tasks the more we learn and understand them. For me, the first hurdle would be to reduce the effect of gravity on a body without impacting the effect of gravity on matter around it. Fun to think about, for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit