An Explanation of why TIME TRAVEL does not work

by Terry 110 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed.

Consequently, the building blocks of existence are actually finite parts.

To create things in "tomorrow" which are new, something has to be dismantled to leave spare parts for tomorrow's new thing.

The old thing deteriorates, (dies/disintegrates) and the parts become available to make the new thing.

Time travel requires going to a place where TODAY'S parts are available to be rearranged.

Some of today's things persist as they are, of course. They only travel through time by persisting as they are. (Mountains, for example.)

Try a thought experiment. (Remember, energy and matter can neither be created nor destroyed....only changed). Imagine the total content of all energy/matter as a finite box of dominoes. These dominoes are the building blocks for whatever exists. Soooooo........

You go into a room.

On the table is a box of dominoes.

You take the dominoes out of the box and build a little house.

The next day you tear down the domino house and build a domino car.

The next day you tear down the domino car and build a domino dinosaur..

At no time can the dinosaur exist along with the house or the car. Do you see why?

Each of us contains atoms that once belonged to Julius Caesar or a dinosaur or a lady bug.

Things which today ARE........which EXIST......do so at the cost of things that WERE and are no more.

Do you realize that who you were at age 12 was a different set of cells than who you are today?

You have been replaced....one domino at a time...........

Think about how you....travel......through.....time.................and your (constituency of atoms) ultimate form and destiny (parts-wise.)

What will McGyver build?

• snowbird
    snowbird

Soooooo, theoretically, there is no such thing as nothing?

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry

Soooooo, theoretically, there is no such thing as nothing?

Sylvia

Sure. All that SPACE between something and something else is nothing!

Nothing is nothing.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

It will be interesting to see where this thread goes. I don't believe in traveling backwards in time, either, but there seems to be something missing in your explanation. I haven't put my finger on it yet, though.

Time travel forward is a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Terry, even so, we do not know what science will discover that will make time travel possible. When I read about the history of man's discoveries throughout human existence, great leaps have been made in all the disciplines from A to Z.

While at this time what you have given as a good explanation of why time travel does not work, I would of also stated, as far as we know now.

Blueblades

• Terry
    Terry

Terry, even so, we do not know what science will discover that will make time travel possible. When I read about the history of man's discoveries throughout human existence, great leaps have been made in all the disciplines from A to Z.

While at this time what you have given as a good explanation of why time travel does not work, I would of also stated, as far as we know now.

Blueblades

I understand what you are saying.

I ask myself these questions.

1. What is the something that travels through time?

2.What is that something made of?

3.What is time?

I answer myself.

1. Something is something. Things are made of parts. To exist as a thing the parts must be assembled. Once disassembled the thing is no more.

2. We are made of matter and energy. This is finite. So our parts are limited. That limit of parts limits what can be made.

3.Time is the distance between events. Time itself does not actually "exist" because time has no parts. Time is a place holder like zero.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    All that SPACE between something and something else is nothing!

So, SPACE is nothing?

Sylvia

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Sylvia, space is indeed mostly nothing. There are particles and things out there undiscovered certainly but most of it is void. (Unless you believe the voids are full of Eldilia.)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hmmm ...

Sylvia

• Terry
    Terry
    All that SPACE between something and something else is nothing!

So, SPACE is nothing?

Sylvia

At one time it was thought (yes, pesky scientists!) that space was a medium of some sort which they termed the aether.

Then, the aether was done away with and all we had was a void....a vacuum....a space from which all material substance was absent.

But, Lo and Behold! Sciene experiences New Light!

Currently, science is postulating the aether all over again by another term (so we won't get wise they are right back where they started.)

Here is what I believe the problem is.

Science cannot use language and be accurate about the physical constituency of our universe.

Science must use math as an exact description.

The problem is when they translate that math back into language!

Science must resort to rather awkward metaphor. The public easily misunderstand.

Mankind has had a genuine problem throughout history with the distinction between TWO completely different modes of thinking about reality.

PLATO and ARISTOTLE.

When PLATO was used as the model the universe was split into a better-than-real IDEAL (forms) and the shadowy inferior (the world).

When ARISTOTLE was used the model was logic and no bifurcation existed between our ideas and reality if correct terminology and rigorous connectives were used (math.)

So--if you are a Mystic you resort to Plato and if you are a Logician you resort to Aristotle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit