An Explanation of why TIME TRAVEL does not work

by Terry 110 Replies latest jw friends

• recovering
    recovering
    Recovering at some point that must have happened.

Actually according to current scientific theory no, matter is finite and has never been created. If you accept the big bang theory , all the matter in the universe started out congealed in one incredibly dense point . This matter for some unknown reason exploded into the universe that we know today. It postulates that all matter originates from this.

Energy cannot only be the motion of particles. That would be just one form energy

You are correct energy is not only concerned with motion (kinetic energy) There are other forms for example electromagnetic energy.

Are photons truly particulate in nature?

Ah you have touched on a very complex subject . Photons exhibit the behaviors of both waves and particles of matter .The division of physics that tries to explain this is quantum physics. The specific theory is wave particle duality principle It is a complex topic, but among the most intriguing in physics.

Thank you Terry for providing me with the intellectual stimulation that I have been lacking, it is nice to deal with theoretic science rather than applied science for a change.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Been a long time for me too Recovering. 20 years since I finished my first degree.

• Terry
    Terry
    Heisenberg's principle results in the concept of wave particle duality which addresses concepts such as particles behaving like waves.

Here is what happens:

1.The physicist wants to determine the momentum of a light beam.

2.In an effort to measure the beam, the physicist uses an instrument which directs (say) gamma rays (like bullets) at the beam.

3.When the path or position of the beam is "struck" by the gamma ray the beam either collapses into a particle or wave (depending on conditions.)

4.The "duality" is unpredictable because the physicist is interfering by his method of measuring. (disturbing the momentum, for example)

There is nothing inherently UNCERTAIN about an electron. A thing is what it is. A=A.

Theoretical physicists (depending on whether they are Plato or Aristotle in philosophy) will either want there to be a DUALITY or not.

The philosophy is the presupposition operating in their mental equation. The framing of the uncertainty is the mcguffin.

Just as it is nonsensical to discuss the precise location of a wave on a string, particles do not have perfectly precise positions; likewise, just as it is nonsensical to discuss the wavelength of a "pulse" wave traveling down a string, particles do not have perfectly precise momenta (which corresponds to the inverse of wavelength). Moreover, when position is relatively well defined, the wave is pulse-like and has a very ill-defined wavelength (and thus momentum). And conversely, when momentum (and thus wavelength) is relatively well defined, the wave looks long and sinusoidal, and therefore it has a very ill-defined position. (wiki)

• recovering
    recovering

I have a question to further the debate. How is it determined how much energy is in a given photon of energy? (there is a specific formula but once you answer the question I will demonstrate a parodox )

The formula can be found in Selman's book " The Fundamentals of X-ray and Radium Physics"

• Terry
    Terry

Did anybody manage to DEFINE ENERGY???

Let us start with "Force"

In physics, the concept of force is used to describe an influence that causes a free body to undergo an acceleration.

In physics, energy is a scalarphysical quantity that describes the amount of work that can be performed by a force,

What does this really mean, then?

For my money, it means energy is particles in motion.

• recovering
    recovering

That is the parodox

• TD
    TD
    Energy and matter are neither created nor destroyed.

If by "matter" you mean "mass" I would agree. Modern physics has pretty much abandoned matter conservation.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Okay, but what about "outside of time"? And if we are all made up of matter or a different set of atoms from the time we were 12 for instance, then what is our mind? If it is part of our brain then how do we have memory when each cell and atom dies or becomes something else? How does our memory stay in tact if it is made up of entirely new cells and atoms? So what if outside of time, our memories do exist as a soul?

This is what makes me believe in God and the soul. I'm not dogmatic about my belief but I DO believe it because I haven't experienced an alternative explanation that makes sense to me.

• Terry
    Terry

In logic there are Fallacies.

One of the fallacies is called the Argument from Ignorance.

What it addresses is coming to conclusions based...not on what we do know, but, on what we do not know.

If something is unknown or ill-defined ti is automatically mysterious.

This, however, is not a very good basis for inserting God into the empty hole.

Using our mind to understand our mind is like trying to lift ourselves up by pulling hard on our bootstraps.

If we make a list of the things we don't know and add them up we cannot simply shout: THIS MUST MEAN GOD!

what is our mind?
  • cheerios
    cheerios

dude ... time travel is so possible ... christopher lloyd proved it ... all you need is a flux capacitor!

/rolleyes @ amateurs ...

:D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit