Ex-Atheists: What Changed Your Mind?

by leavingwt 84 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Balsam -- Thank you.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Many thanks LWT :)

The interesting thing is my story is not dissimilar in some respects. I was 6 and I was talking to my mum at home. She said something like, "so do you want Jesus to be your Saviour?" I said "yes" so she led me in a prayer. Jesus didn't appear or anything supernatural either.

By my teens I had decided following Jesus did look like such a good option because getting drunk, girls and drugs looked more where the party was at. I still used to go to church on Sunday mornings with my mum and dad till 16, at which point I left the church.

20 years later I found I had had enough, the party wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The Lord had called me many times over the years but I always resisted.

I am sure the Lord honoured my commitment far more than I did myself.

Anyhow, this comes to mind.

Romans 8:28 (English Standard Version)

28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, [a] for those who are called according to his purpose.

Footnotes:
    1. Romans 8:28 Some manuscripts God works all things together for good, or God works in all things for the good

Blessings,

Stephen

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Everyone is born an atheist.

Belief in a god or religion is not inherent... it is learned.

• streets76
    streets76

Becoming an atheist is like going black, etc.

• shamus100
    shamus100

There's not a lot of atheists that go back - especially ones who are ex-dubs, due to obvious reasons.

Let's ask Perry's bird why.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It's probably safe to say that more theists become atheists than vice-versa.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've never been an atheist, I have been agnostic.

Reading Richard Dawkins and Charles Darwin has convinced me there is a God.

Dawkins explains the universe as if it is inside a shoe box and only the things in the

shoe box can effect the universe. Thats called naturalism.

My understanding of God or a designer is he is outside the shoebox of the universe

and he can do things to the substances in the shoe box that are called miricles.

I have read the bible cover to cover numerous times. I also read it daily.

When I read the bible I feel uplifted.

When I read things that say there is no God this life is all there is. I feel depressed and

sad.

I take that as the begining of the seperation from God.

Which i take to be hell.

Believing in God takes faith. And believing in no God takes faith.

There is no absolute proof either way.

So I see its a choice. And I feel better choosing God.

If I'm wrong and there is no God. I dont see where I have lost anything believing in God.

I dont belong to a cult anymore. I no longer live for a date when the world is going to end.

Believing in God and having faith can be as calming and as therepuetic as taking paxil

or prozac.

• tec
    tec

I don't think I could have spoken of faith any more eloquently than you just did, Jaguarbass. If I could send roses, I would send them to you now.

Tammy

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would like to be an ex-atheist (or ex-agnostic, whatever), but sometimes the "answers" feel more empty than what I have now, which is a searching. For now, a life of searching is more fulfilling than a life of having answers.

I agree with Daniel P. I read everything I can looking for answers regarding our existence and

destiny.

This life is a jouney, and we are pilgrims searching for our home.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass
    I was first saved in a Baptist Church, during my youth.

That's good, because now you're always saved. You can do whatever you want now.

6 of nine, I took out that insurance policy also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit