Ex-Atheists: What Changed Your Mind?

by leavingwt 84 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I was first saved in a Baptist Church, during my youth.

That's good, because now you're always saved. You can do whatever you want now.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi LWT,

A highly recommended read regarding this subject!

The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief

LOG\

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Collins, a pioneering medical geneticist who once headed the Human Genome Project, adapts his title from President Clinton's remarks announcing completion of the first phase of the project in 2000: "Today we are learning the language in which God created life." Collins explains that as a Christian believer, "the experience of sequencing the human genome, and uncovering this most remarkable of all texts, was both a stunning scientific achievement and an occasion of worship." This marvelous book combines a personal account of Collins's faith and experiences as a genetics researcher with discussions of more general topics of science and spirituality, especially centering around evolution. Following the lead of C.S. Lewis, whose Mere Christianity was influential in Collins's conversion from atheism, the book argues that belief in a transcendent, personal God—and even the possibility of an occasional miracle—can and should coexist with a scientific picture of the world that includes evolution. Addressing in turn fellow scientists and fellow believers, Collins insists that "science is not threatened by God; it is enhanced" and "God is most certainly not threatened by science; He made it all possible." Collins's credibility as a scientist and his sincerity as a believer make for an engaging combination, especially for those who, like him, resist being forced to choose between science and God. (July 17)
    Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.

From Scientific American

A devoutly Christian geneticist such as Francis S. Collins, author of The Language of God and leader of the Human Genome Project, can comfortably accept that "a common ancestor for humans and mice is virtually inescapable" or that it may have been a mutation in the FOXP2 gene that led to the flowering of human language. The genetic code is, after all, "God’s instruction book." But what sounds like a harmless metaphor can restrict the intellectual bravado that is essential to science. "In my view," Collins goes on to say, "DNA sequence alone, even if accompanied by a vast trove of data on biological function, will never explain certain special human attributes, such as the knowledge of the Moral Law and the universal search for God." Evolutionary explanations have been proffered for both these phenomena. Whether they are right or wrong is not a matter of belief but a question to be approached scientifically. The idea of an apartheid of two separate but equal metaphysics may work as a psychological coping mechanism, a way for a believer to get through a day at the lab. But theism and materialism don’t stand on equal footings. The assumption of materialism is fundamental to science.

George Johnson is author of Fire in the Mind: Science, Faith, and the Search for Order and six other books. He resides on the Web at talaya.net --This text refers to theHardcover edition.

See all Editorial Reviews

Blessings,

Stephen

• bohm
    bohm

One day i woke up with this insane crawing for spaghetti and meat balls!

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I felt the Holy Spirit speak to my heart. I fought it for some time ...

Same here.

But, guess Who won!

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Same here.

More emotional based diatribe. I grow weary of the intellectually dishonest.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    More emotional based diatribe. I grow weary of the intellectually dishonest.

Then join Belial on his dung heap!

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

John Doe,

Please be nice. I would like this thread to be very believer-friendly. Thank you.

-LWT

• Chalam
    Chalam

SixofNine That's good, because now you're always saved. You can do whatever you want now.

As Jesus would say

Matthew 22:29 (New International Version)

29 Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.

So here's some scriptures to get to know :)

Hebrews 10:38-39 (New International Version)

38 But my righteous one will live by faith.
    And if he shrinks back,
    I will not be pleased with him." 39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

Romans 6:1-2 (New International Version)

Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ
    1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?

2 Timothy 4:7-8 (New International Version)

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Philippians 2:12-13 (New International Version)

Shining as Stars
    12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Personally I had reoccurring dreams for years of failing exam tests at school and college having not done any work or revision for the exam. These stopped a few years ago when I came back to faith and I haven't have another.

2 Corinthians 13:5-7 (New International Version)

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong. Not that people will see that we have stood the test but that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed.

Blessings,

Stephen

• John Doe
    John Doe
    John Doe,
    Please be nice. I would like this thread to be very believer-friendly. Thank you.

I am being nice!

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Six:

That's good, because now you're always saved. You can do whatever you want now.

Some of the Southern Baptists do have a little Calvinistic flavor ala 'Once Saved, Always Saved'. However, I think that a vast majority of Baptists still adhere to some idea of 'minimum requirement' for salvation. Others do use it as an excuse to do anything, evidently.

Stephen -- Thank you for the book recommendation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit