Ex-Atheists: What Changed Your Mind?

by leavingwt 84 Replies latest jw friends

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here's the account of an atheist who turned to Christ.

A Land Unknown: Hell's Dominion Part 1 of 7

Blessings,

Stephen

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

And I feel better choosing God.

That is a position that I can respect. It makes sense, to me.

• TastingFreedom
    TastingFreedom

I think I have a need for spirituality! I don't know if I'm a convinced Atheist, I'm more agnostic than anything. I feel a need to congregate, sing, and talk about the concept of a god, which is higher consciouness. Still doing my free and responsible search for truth and meaning which is personal to me.

To me the concept of god is helpful in my personal spiritual journey. I would call it an open source religion without creeds and dogmas.

I think each person is free to search for his or her own personal truth on issues, such as the existence, nature, and meaning of life, deities, creation, and afterlife.

This sort identifies what I believe in:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
    • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
    • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
    • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
    • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
    • The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
    • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

I would define myself mostly as humanist. Partially a Buddhist.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

TastingFreedom -- Thank you. In Sam Harris' book, 'The End of Faith', he candidly talks about how many humans have a need for 'spiritual' things. He says that religion is one way of satisfying that need. I thought it was interesting.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome TastingFreedom!

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

Mild mannered man preaching the boogey man belief to a room full of adults willing to lap it up. Boy does it do a disservice to the Supreme Being.

Retire the Dantesque along with Armageddon scare tactics.....we are post Age of Reason by two centuries.

'Do a little good each day'

• wobble
    wobble

I am an agnostic/atheist/humanist, and part time drunk. How I define those labels is not as most would.

The bottom line is I am sixty years old, not in tip-top health, and do not have time to waste on religion or a "God who hides" See Jeff's excellent thread on that.

I am willing to believe if someone will show me some proof, anything that stands up to scrutiny.

It is pointless quoting the Bible, I along with Terry and many others cannot put trust in something that exists as a translation from copies of many copies.

My present position is : There is no God, so relax, enjoy life.

Love

Wobble

• bohm
    bohm

favorite quote from the video: "No wonder you are going to be punished forever, look at how eeeeviiiiil you are".

• bohm
    bohm

Perhaps a slip by the guy in the video (video 6, 4 minutes in): "when i YEARS LATER read ephisians".

If i had been to hell, i think reading the bible would have been on top of my to-do list.

• designs
    designs

At least a person is being informed on what to expect if they go to an Evangelical Church. Actually going is recommended....for the cure

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit