Do You Personally Know Of Anyone That Committed Suicide?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

I knew both JW's and non-JW's who committed suicide. The most sad was a guy married to a JW who killed himself after finding out his wife was sleeping with a young JW.

The most interesting experience was a guy I dealt with who threatened to kill his family, my family, and then himself. This guys' secret sins were becoming manifest and as an elder some things came to my attention, including wife abuse and according to her, allegations of possible misconduct with the young daughter. I brought it to the attention of his elders and the CO, but nothing was done because he had too much secret dirt on all of them. Since no one would help her and we had been friends with the family, the wife ask if we would help her get out of the abusive situation. We agreed to help and house her & the children until her father could arrange to come move them. We got death threats and was stalked at night by this guy. The elders or police would not nothing. I was friends with him before and knew he had guns and was a nut job enough to be the type to kill his family, then himself. The wife inadvertently comes into possession of secret letters & tapes of an inappropriate relationship with the CO that made the CO look very bad. The situation was so bad that at night I barricaded the doors and nailed scrap wood across the doors to keep him from breaking the glass and unlocking the door to enter and kill us all. I finally got tired of it and got a 12 gauge shotgun. That very night my intuition woke me up at 3AM to find this guy slowly driving by my house. He stopped at the end of my driveway and I stepped out on the porch to shoot him. When he seen me he took off and never did stalk us anymore. The wife's father came and moved them away from him. I kept pushing the issue about this guy and the CO, until finally the CO formed a "Special Judicial Committee" of elders of his choosing to look into it. At the hearing I told the things I knew and the wife told what she knew, including the suspected misconduct with the young daughter. We offer to let them read the letters and hear the tape recordings, but they refused.

The end result......nothing was done to the brother or the CO. I however, was called into a meeting with my elders and was forced to listen to a letter where Brooklyn, the CO, and the "Special Committee" elders gave me a REPRIMAND!

That was the beginning of the end for me in this org. It wasn't long after that I was completely out.

Think About It

• cantleave
    cantleave

A school friend of mine. She was Bipolar, I saw her in a psychiatric ward once when I was visiting a witness friend of mine. Her parents were with her and told me that she she had episodes of severe depression. A few months later I heard she jumped off a bridge. The son of a sister in our current/last congregation killed himself, he was DF'd but I think he was bi-polar too.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

My children and I played tennis with a really nice middle-aged man.

Came to find out that he lost his drivers license because of a health condition. Sadly it turned out to be a terminal disease. He therefore committed suicide.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I knew one JW who killed himself. A beautiful man. It still pains me to think about it.

tall penguin

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Last week a young man killed himself, he is inbetween the ages of my sons.

We were talking about the young man, came from a nice family, no money problems, beautiful wife and just had a healthy baby.

My kids are like WHY? His life seemed so great.

You just never know what's going on.

• dandingus
    dandingus

Wow, Think About It. That's one messed up situation. Can't really imagine what THAT was like.

• besty
    besty

yep - an MTS grad from perth, scotland Paul Sneddon killed himself about 5 years ago - depression and chronic ME combined with 5-star JW family aspirations - not a good mixture - his parents are good people - I don't blame them at all.

another Scottish lad - Andrew Scott from Mount Florida or Cathcart Cong - probably about 10 years ago - left behind a young wife IIRC - Scotsman prolly knows more.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is a very sad thread, but one that I am glad to have read. To anyone who has been so desperate as to seriously consider it, or have sufferred the terrible loss of a loved one in this way, my heart goes out to you ...

I would like to comment on the thoughts of those who say that Jehovah's Witnesses condemn suicide victims. That is definitely not the case in recent years. (Of course there will always the batty old 'sister' who may say it, but she would be an anachronism) ..Like other religions of Christianity, J W's used to condemn them. According to Wiki, it is still technically the case with mainstream churches although not, I believe, in practice.

There is no condemnation these days and if an elder wishes to conduct a K Hall funeral, then usually this is done..

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

What is really sad is that the high school near me has a real bad suicide problem; five kids killed themselves in the past year by throwing themselves in front of the train a few blocks from my house. I almost witnessed one of the suicides; we were about 30 seconds away driving on the street and I saw the train immediately before the incident (when it passed us by) and then immediately after it happened. It has shaken up the community very much, volunteers and security guards now keep a vigil at the train crossings. I still haven't heard anything about what is going on socially at the school that is feeding this problem.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Yes, my best friend growing up, 2 family members and my Grandfather who I didn't know.

One of these suicides was a beautiful 17 year old girl on anti depressants....(One of the kind that is now known to cause strong suicidal thoughts in people under 18).

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit