Do You Personally Know Of Anyone That Committed Suicide?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I knew of a young teenager who was raised as a JW by his parents. No one seemed to know why.

My aunt had bi-polar and we didn’t know it. She was in her 60s when she took her own life. She had been a JW but was inactive, I believe. The funeral service was held in the funeral home.

I’ve had depression since I don’t know when. I remember having depression when I was about 10 but I didn’t realise it. I didn’t know any different. I’ve often been suicidal but have never done anything. Ironically, the more depressed I get the more lethargic I get, and when I’ve wanted to commit suicide most, is when I’ve hadn’t the energy to go through with it.

I’m on anti-depressants and am undergoing therapy, but I have no doubt I am stuck with this for life.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Yes

1. My (at the time) to be wife's uncle (non JW but family was) hung himself, found by his 10 year old son.

2. Six months later son of a friend (unbaptised) hung himself, he had been asking how #1 did it a couple of days earlier.

3. A JW brother killed himself with a rifle, after being falsly accused of a number of indessances by his wife, and was leaving him "never to see his children again" sort of thing. He had previously been a MS.

First 3 were all associated one way or another with the same congregation.

4. I knew of this person when he was very young in my congregation before I left home, as a young adult and a baptised brother he gassed himself in his car, I believe it was bcoz his girlfriend broke off engagement.

5. Wife of an elder who was once a CO, I remember them doing the rounds when I was young, I believe she had alot of mental problems, left behind a young son.

• lingno2
    lingno2

Ya, i know one was an elder who hang himself. My stepsister tried to attempt also and so with my father who attempt also but they survived.

• smiddy
    smiddy

What a sad topic

But then that`s life???I have known personaly a couple of jw`s who have tossed themselves,but also I have known a few ,again personally of non witnesses who have committed suicide,a brother in law was one, Suicide today is a phenomenon beyond beleif,check out the statistics in your area.

smiddy

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I feel so sorry for those of you who lost loved ones and friends.

one of my regular RV's boys was one of the typical unexpected ones. shot himself.

I am a bit stunned... very surpised at the number who were JW's... but that should not surprise me for i too one night made a feeble attempt at suicide. I taped a plastic bag over my head... before i could pass out i thought of my children and tore it open. The organization made me believe that i was a dispicable person, worthy only of death. scum, gutter trash, devil, evil. i am sure many of you also know the feeling...

i know the feeling well of beleiving that everyone is better off without you. It is truly a dark dark sad place to be in while pretending that all is well.

oz

• lingno2
    lingno2

Aussie, that's so true i felt that once also.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Two Dubbies, both young, and two Worldlies, not so young. One of the worldlies had a JW BIL who committed suicide.

Considering most of the people I know are Worldly, JWs are over-represented in my suicide statistics.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The organization made me believe that i was a dispicable person, worthy only of death. scum, gutter trash, devil, evil. i am sure many of you also know the feeling...

The WTS is not being directed by any benevolent, loving, higher power. Your statement above is exactly what I have observed in my life as I watch the various JW family members struggle with major league depression. This organization does not embrace anything to do with building and nurturing the human spirit. It actually does the opposite.

(((( Aussie Oz )))) (((( lingno2 )))) I am so glad you decided not to go through with taking your own life. I do understand how one can get to that point. You are here today helping others. This is a wonderful thing! Thank you.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

yes, this jw friend of mine shot himself 2 years after a divorce. don't know if ex-wife is still a witless.

battled 2 years of painful depression and then could not take it any more

• minimus
    minimus

It's interesting that I remember only a few people that were JWs that killed themselves. 2 of the 3, as I recall did so when I was a kid. The other guy was clearly mentally ill and df'd. You folks know a lot of Witnesses that committed suicide. A lot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit