Do You Personally Know Of Anyone That Committed Suicide?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The pressure of being a perfect JW could do it to anyone!

• agent zero
    agent zero
    The pressure of being a perfect JW could do it to anyone!

either that or the sudden realisation of the falsehood of it all and not being able to get out of it without sacrificing everything

• lumper
    lumper

My best man at my first wedding hung himself. He was just a youngster raised in the cult to be a perfect elder's child. The pressure to perform along with drugs and alcohol were more than he could bear. i believe he was also a victim ofthe widespread racism with in the cult. He was fine, young , goodlooking black guy and was given a lot of grief because the white sisters loved him to death.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am sad to say - YES

• tec
    tec

doublelife, I'm so sorry about your dad, and just as sorry that you had no one to turn to as a child. Perhaps you didn't chicken out so much as carried on. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better.

I'm sorry for everyone who has lost someone. I'm just thankful that I have a second chance.

Tammy

• roadrunner4speed
  • Purza
    Purza

Unfortunately, two years ago an individual at work was getting laid off. He was in a position where he could have found a job fairly easily, but instead, he chose to use a gun to end his life. We can't know what was going through his head, but in taking his own life, he took a little piece of everyone he knew with him.

Purza

• Quentin
    Quentin

Yes...no good comes fro it....

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

My former pioneering partner committed suicide in his early 30's...I had lost touch with him, having moved out of the area, but I can guess that his unhappy marriage, pressure to "reach out" for more congregational responsibilities and a dead-end job all contributed to his decision to take his own life...very sad.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    The despondent ones SEEMED to be happy but evidently, whatever their demons were, it got to them in a most horrible way.

Yes, that describes a friend in our residence house in college. He was really smart, friendly, one of the best card players in the house, and well-liked. Nobody saw it coming, I guess the rest of us were too young, self-absorbed and naive to recognize the depression underneath. It was just before the start of classes for sophomore year, he'd just moved into an off-campus apartment with several other escapees from dorm food. One of his room-mates found him and the pistol lying on the floor. It left us feeling partly sad, partly angry, but mostly wondering why? WHY? WHY?

How did you handle it?

Not very well, frankly. A bit of denial, a bit of whistling past the graveyard (if he of all people was suicidal, who's going to be next?), almost no serious talking about it. We needed counseling, even if we were too proud to admit it, but not much of that was available at the time.

FD, you still are missed!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit