Do You Personally Know Of Anyone That Committed Suicide?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• dissed
    dissed

One JW in particular, a young lady who was always striving for perfection. A very good friend who committed adultery with a Bible study, came home to write a note to the Elders, her husband and two year old daughter, then took sleeping pills.

Unfortunately, many take this route, but knowing her so well, it was the WTS she couldn't handle. The always striving for perfection, never feeling your actions are good enough, judging and comparing yourself to others, then not being able to handle a slip in your own life.

The JW's 'the happiest people on the planet', yeah right. What a delussional self serving lie.

• dandingus
    dandingus
    Could it be that if a person considered suicide that they would be more prone to doing it?

I imagine that would be true, min. It's a pretty drastic step to take for someone who never even thought about it before. Or maybe it's always a "snap" decision? A spur of the moment, temporary insanity, kind of thing that's always an emotional decision that the application of intellect would immediately repel?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I know you have asked this question before and I have answered it before but yes. Two in my family

My aunt (same age as me) when she was 13. Sexually abused by her father, 3 brothers and my step-father. Elders solution - send her away from home. 3 months later she committed suicide.

My sister. Sexually abuse by her/our brothers and her father. Never dealt with. Grewup and got involved with substance abuses and after many attempts eventually died of a drug overdose - death by slow suicide

When my doctor found out both my aunt and a sister had committed suicide she did a risk assessment on me. I knew what she was doing and reassured her that now that abuse was out of my life I had no reason to even consider the idea any longer.

• RebeccaChi
    RebeccaChi

This is such a sad (but necessary) topic. I'm so sorry everyone for your losses. I grew up with a large family in my congregation who's father was an abusive prick. Owned a roofing business and did pretty well. (Of course all of his JW employees made minimum wage or slightly above.) He also thought he was part of the 144,000. The oldest son left when he turned 18 I believe, and the other kids were not allowed to have contact with him. The middle and youngest son both left together. I remember hearing about the mother sneaking in visits, food and money to her sons. The father always monitored every penny she spent. The middle son was going through some depression due to trying to start his life over. Ended up committing suicide through drug overdose. I often wonder how different our lives would have been (and be now!!) without the cult past. Very sad!!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

3 people that I have know personally have killed themselves that I can recall at this moment. The most recent hung himself.

All 3 hung themselves.

I see people try to kill themselves working in a jail. I have caught 5 of them. I call a code white and go in and

go in and remove the shirt or sheet from around their neck. I haven't lost one yet.

I have a friend who works in the jail who got cut up trying to take a razor away from a suicidal inmate.

Two of the people I know personally who did kill themselves were homosexuals.

And their homosexuality was a major factor in both of their deaths.

Both of them hung themselves.

I didn't know either of the 2 suicides were homosexuals until the day they hung themselves.

One homosexual I know ended up hanging himself after I refused his sexual advances.

The very day.

That was very upsetting to me.

I'm not gay or homophobic. And I don't and never have hung around homosexuals.

You asked a question and I'm answering it.

The first suicide was very upsetting and traumatic, I was 25 years old.

The last hanging happened when I was 50.

By the time I turned 50 nothing could or would faze me any more.

I've seen and heard everything.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

So sorry Purps.... my experience pales in comparison to yours

One JW 1st cousin (18 yrs)

One 2nd cousin (19 yrs)

One JW girlfriend (32 yrs)

One elder in my last hall (35 yrs)

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

A freind of mine, who was always a little depressed, but I never thought suicidal. I thought life was on track for him. He had a job and was about to get married and one day laid on an RR track and that was it.

• nugget
    nugget

I know of 2 one who suffered years of depression and bi polar disorder who finally ended it all. I know of another who committed suicide to escape the consequences of his heinous crime. Both had very different reasons. I have heard of many others but never met them so am not able to comment on their state of mind at the time. It does seem incredibly common and deperately sad.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

April 7, 1995. My drugged up brother put a gun to his head. April 9 - taken off of life support and died. I feel sorry for the man as his parents were far from role models. I rejected their "I Love Lucy" mentality. Drinking, smoking, violence.

Didn't make it to 35. Still miss him. His name was Mark. His ashes were released into the Pacific ocean 10 years later, along with his dad.

Bill.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

First cousin- 31 years old. Shot himself in the head. Raised as a JW but had been out of the cult for about 10 years. Drugs and alcohol involved. Most of his family were still JWs at the time of the suicide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit