What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?

by paul from cleveland 69 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I've said before that when I was younger I had many issues in my life besides the WTS; an alcoholic jw mother, a non-jw pedophile father, and several siblings to protect and help. College would not have been an option at that time anyway. I would have stayed with my first job and advanced and still helped my siblings taking the university training they paid for. I probably wouldn't have met my husband but that is all a science fiction time issue.

I feel it is not a matter of wishing to change the past but learning how to better handle your present.

Past = history

Future = mystery

Present = the gift we give ourselves

Blondie

• cantleave
    cantleave

Forget Chemistry go into Banking......................................................You can retire in a few years

• designs
    designs

Education Education Education

Its ok going back to college at 60 but a young mind and all of those years ahead is a great opportunity.

One of the funny things that happens on campus is to be approached like I was one of the professors (world's oldest student )

Do not ever get married!

• Titus
    Titus

Thank you, Quilsky!

• yknot
    yknot

Looking back I was very desperate, lost and alone.

I rushed through many things because of this.....(faking it til I made it....but I lost out on the 'experiences')

Sure I survived my childhood of isolation and abuse, I had my eternal optimism, but I had no true direction that wasn't constant fodder for 'local needs' which ripped my inner-well-guarded self-esteem to shreds (read I went to college) and trusted no one to help me..... I felt it was me against th world.

I kept my head above waters but that doesn't mean I didn't slip between the cracks.

Wanting to be accepted and loved was a strong distraction.

I really would have benefitted if I had 'permission' to do great things, had a mentor to help discern paths and give encouragement/emotional support/ strenghten self-esteem, and introduced to new social networks......

In today's world I could sum it all up with needing an apostate big brother/sister who called 'bullsh*t' , showed me the 'truth about the troof' and told me to value myself, education and future! That valuing those things wasn't pleasing the WTS/JWs but by making the world a better place by keeping myself out of poverty, emotional distress, and giving/helping others to better themselves too!.....

Go forth, be bold, be kind, pray and serve the Lord in ways that make him proud!

• Heaven
    Heaven

Do what you love.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Don't get married or have children young, there's always time for that. Get an education in something that you love, something that resonates with you. Do what one poster said, "do what you love and the money will follow". If your flexible, start hitting different countries, work, play, meet people. Make your life as full as possible because there is just so much life to be had. Keep people around you who give off good energy and stay away from the rest. Don't drink and drive and always use protection!

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

Just because you have a 1 year old, doesn't mean you have to stay. It will end anyway. Listen to your nightmares, there is really something there, even though they will deny it. The world is bigger than the 35 miles radius you've always resided. When that one comes into your life, don't let him get away without at least TRYING to work it out. If it fails, I forgive you...but at least we'd know.

Go back to school. Figure out what makes you happy before you don't know how to get back to that place.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    Do not ever get married!

No, I don't agree, 144,001.

But here's the thing. DON'T EVER GET MARRIED FOR SEX.

That's the worst possible reason to get married as a 20-year-old.

Get married because you have met the person who pulls, lifewise, in the same direction as you. Get married because you have a partner who thrills you. Get married because you want to be with someone who shares the same life goals as you, a person who talks your language in every way.

Don't ever get married to have sex. (Rather just have sex if you want to.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit