What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?

by paul from cleveland 69 Replies latest jw friends

• megs
    megs

Ensure that your parents know without a doubt how much they are appreciated and loved. Learn how to save money and balance your cheque book. Take more chances, be less closed-minded. Do not put your faith in God, because he isn't really there, give back to the community and enjoy life because you only get one shot at it.

• nugget
    nugget

Don't postpone living and don't confuse drudgery for fulfilling work. Look for opportunity and believe in yourself leave the past behind and don't carry it with you.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Somehow or another I had the courage and audacity to leave the JWs at 15. I also went to college and got a degree. I already knew that nobody really cared about me except me. And I had to look out for myself.

BUT, if I could go back to when I was 20 and know what I know now I would call a meeting of my immediate family. My father, my mother and my sister and I would lead the family in a down and dirty heart to heart powwow. This would have been revolutionary in my family. I would ask, "What the hell was all this JW stuff you raised me and my sister in??????????" "Do you still believe this stuff?" "Are you still going to meetings?" "WHY???????" "What are you scared of?" " Why are you intimidated by these assholes?" "What kind of power do these jokers have over you and why do you allow that?" "Mother, are you afraid to tell your family that you are an inactive JW?" "Have some courage!!!!!!!" "Don't do this to me and Lori!!!!!" "You've already ruined our childhoods!!!!!" "Let's start NOW with being HONEST and OPEN with each other!" "We can do this if we all stick together and have each other's backs."

Wow, you have no idea how much my family needed to have that talk. No idea. And we never, ever did. And we broke into a millions pieces.

That is my regret from when I was 20 years old. But I did not have anywhere near the maturity or even the awareness of myself that I needed to do something like that. But it is my big regret.

But. I have done much better with my own children. I'm not saying I'm perfect. Not at all. But I've done much better than my parents. And I'm grateful for that.

• pirata
    pirata

Don't get baptized to an organization

Go to College/University and pursue your interests

Learn critical thinking skills

Volunteer and give back to your community in meaningful ways

Form friendships with people of all types of backgrounds and beliefs

Enjoy your life know while leaving a positive legacy for future generations

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Always use a condom, and make sure you do not slip up with that.

Don't marry her.

Your instincts about travel are spot on, keep with that, and buy as much film as you can afford.

• breathing
    breathing

i dont think i would have listened to very strong anti jw stuff at that age, i was soooooo indoctrinated,

i think that the main thing i could have said to myself would be:

love those that are very close to you as if you could lose them tomorrow, cos you will be losing them within the next 2 years, so make every second count and have fun and laugh with them and hug them and cherish them and smell them and look at them and hear them, because you cant get those moments back, and they will go and you will lose them and there will be nothing you can do about it,

make some memories with them that will etch upon your heart,

ask them important questions and try to find out their opinions on what really matters,

so in the years to come you can remember their answers, and although they will be gone you will have those words to remember

also, to the 20 year oldme, OBSERVE, look around you and REALLY notice what is going on, dont take anything as it appears, think deeper and out side the box you dont realise you are in,

• awildflower
    awildflower

buy as much film as you can afford.

You may be onto something there!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would knock myself in the head and say, "What are you thinking!! Your peace of mind is more important than 'love' or a relationship, as much as I know that means to you. Look at me, I turned out fine."

• cry
    cry

With 2 small babies it would have been hard, if not impossible, but I would have left my husband, left the org, taken the kids and then started my life anew. Oh just one thought - then I wouldn't have had my wonderful third son! No......I would have to wait another 8 years and then do the above, it would be worth it.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Sort your health out NOW!

You should listen to your gut and get out of the faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit