What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?

by paul from cleveland 69 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet
    sweet

i would have gotten baptized a long time ago around 20 years old of course...to where i would have helped out at Bethel a long time ago...

i would have stopped having sex at 20 til i got married..

i would have stayed in school and gone on to college..

i should listen to my woman's intuition a lot more...if i had i would not have gone through the last relationship i was in...and i would have warned my friends before they died just a few hours after i had the "warning" come to me.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

i would have gotten baptized a long time ago around 20 years old of course...to where i would have helped out at Bethel a long time ago...

Say again?

• zoiks
    zoiks

Hello? Hello, Zoiks? This is Future Zoiks and I have some advice for you. Hello? Hello? He hung up on me, dammit!

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Run like hell"... "Call up the NON-JW relatives and go live with them for a few years until your brain recovers from the 'brainwashing'..." "Listen to your gut instinct - you KNOW it's telling you that SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE [being "in" the WTBTS...]"

Ah, if only... At least I got out in my VERY early 30's... Zid

• Twitch
    Twitch

"Be careful what you wish for, for you just might get it"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Do not smother your misgivings about the WTS. Investigate the questions (One day there will a wonderful thing called Internet but now do not be afraid to read the books) Follow your own judgement , it is as good as anybody else's.

Do not live only for the future. Concentrate on making something of the now.

Do not rush into a marriage. Just because you both may be in the congregation it does not mean that you will be compatible, or happy. If you do make a mistake, do not be afraid to incur the displeasure of others by changing it. Your soul mate could be someone that you would not expect to meet, but you will..

BTW. Do not get rid of your Rock Music !

• Robdar
    Robdar

Live your life exactly the way you lived it.

• garyneal
    garyneal

Not sure what I would tell myself that I think would have any effect, but...

Be thankful for who you are. Just because you are 6'0" tall weighing only 140 lbs does not mean anything is wrong with you.

In spite of what some of your friends may say, you do not need to be able to bench press 200lbs or more and work out in the gym all the time to look good.

Appreciate the gifts that God gave you. There is a reason why you are as smart as you are. Don't hide it just because others think you are a bit nerdy.

Enjoy the friends that you have rather than trying to find what you think are 'the right friends.'

Go date those girls who was interested in you. Don't expect anything serious to come out of it but do enjoy the time you spend together.

Don't expect your girlfriend to look like that ideal image you have of her in your head. If you do, you will let some perfectly good chicks slip by (and I did).

Remember that girl who you were friends with who you never gave a thought to dating. Date her, I think she likes you even though she does not really show it. (My step-dad actually advised me similarly of this same chick. I ignored him thinking he was wrong. Knowing what I know now, I now think he was right.)

Don't expect anything serious out of any chick you date. Just have fun and live in the moment, the right one will come along.

Reconsider joining the military. The gulf war will not last long and there will be many years of peace before Bush JR takes the healm. If you join, consider the Navy and visit far off places and if you do, consider becoming an officer of aviation. Ignore your dad and step-dad, dad loves the army, step-dad hated the marines.

If you join the military and are not married yet, consider dating asian women, they're HOT!

Go to college, what you cannot afford it? Reread my earlier posts on considering the military.

Oh well, I'm almost 39 now and I cannot live in the past. I can only affect the present. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My 20 year old self? Get out of the Tower and go to college.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Don't go to Texas, it's carcinogenic. You don't have to go *that* far away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit