What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?

by paul from cleveland 69 Replies latest jw friends

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

The end DOES NOT come

in 1975.............................

or even 35 years later

Oh yeah....................

Go ahead and bang 'er

Stay single

It IS all a snare and racket

• LockedChaos
  • Quentin
    Quentin

Education,education, education...education... do NOT marry or make major life changing decsions till your 40. Use that 20 year window wisley...settle in, get comfortable with yourself and put aside,or save LOTS of money...above all concentrate on education(or a solid trade). A good one takes about 15 to 20 years to obtain.

By the time your 40 you are ready to live well, raise a family and enjoy life.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Just because we are at the height of the Cold War, it odes not mean Armageddon is imminent

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

God loves you even if you masturbate

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I was baptized at 18 and "drinking koolaid" by the quart. I wouldn't have listened to my present-day, magic-working, pot-smoking, gonzo-liberal self.

Now, my 17-year-old self was in sore need of reassurance about the state of the world, but didn't have the courage or practical imagination to appreciate the proactive, inventive folks who were trying to teach her to think outside the box.

So, yeah, I was a goner. But maybe I could have convinced myself to hang out with the Unitarians, at least.

gently feral

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Wait, I take part of that back. I would have told myself: "Listen: in your lifetime, you will see:

• a black president whose agenda is even more liberal than yours (remember, ca. 1970, I was barely aware that gay folks existed, let alone that their rights were being tromped on by the gummint – just to give one example. We can talk about O's actual action or lack thereof in another thread, mmmkay?)
    • the beginnings of entire industries dedicated to undoing ecological destruction
    • a "ProFood" movement that puts today's health food movement in the dust – but without today's health food cranks, it wouldn't even exist
    • indigenous women's rights movements in the most oppressive cultures of the world
    • indigenous peoples of the world suing multinational corporations that destroy their homelands (in other words, Avatar, but with lawyers)

What you will not see is: anything remotely resembling the prophecies laid out in Watchtower literature."

gently feral

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

iknowall558, please think twice before giving a blaming retrospective of your life's mistakes on a thread called "What advice would you give to your 20 year old self?" And please think hard about what advice you would give to your young self. Take blame out of it, see what is left, and use that going forward.

• goldensky
    goldensky

Dear Iknowall558, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that... But so happy you seem to enjoy life nowadays.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

work hard, save money, buy real estate.

oh, and if ya horny get laid not married...

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit