Immortal Soul? Impossible!

by wannabe 114 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mary
    Mary

Terry, it sounds like to need to readjust your thinking. You have a very bad attitude.

While I appreciate what you're saying, there are many people who do believe in a "soul/spirit". This particular thread isn't about 'evolution vs. creation', but rather, does the bible itself support the idea of a life after death. While I have serious doubts about the bible itself, the point of this particular thread isn't to debate the 'uselessness' of such a debate as many people do not view it that way. We were all religious people at one time, this is a discussion board for ex-Witnesses, so I think it's only natural that biblical discussions are going to come up.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    No it doesn't because Jesus makes it clear throughout the New Testament that the Jews of the first century beliefs were perverted and they didn't follow the teaches that have been passed down from Moses.

No, he condemned them for being hypocrites. He nonetheless recognized their halakhic authority ("They sit on Moses' seat") and told his disciples to DO what the Pharisees tell them to do (hence, the Pharisees were authoritative — not perverted — interpreters of the Law), but not do what the Pharisees actually do themselves.

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach" (Matthew 23:2-3).

The notion of a postmortem intermediate state is not foreign to the NT; it is found in the gospels, in Paul, in Revelation, etc.

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

You hear that Robdar? You're not really a Jew according to shit-for-brains Blue Grass. Why? Because he says so.

It's not because I say so but because that genological records were used to establish if someone was a Jew or not:

Ezekiel 13:9 My hand will be against the prophets who see false visions and utter lying divinations. They will not belong to the council of my people or be listed in the records of the house of Israel, nor will they enter the land of Israel.

Nehemiah 7:63 And from among the priests: the descendants of Hobaiah, Hakkoz and Barzillai (a man who had married a daughter of Barzillai the Gileadite and was called by that name). 64 These searched for their family records, but they could not find them and so were excluded from the priesthood as unclean.

Ezra 2:61 And from among the priests:The descendants of Hobaiah, Hakkoz and Barzillai (a man who had married a daughter of Barzillai the Gileadite and was called by that name).62These searched for their family records, but they could not find them and so were excluded from the priesthood as unclean.

2 Chronicles 31: 16 In addition, they distributed to the males three years old or more whose names were in the genealogical records—all who would enter the temple of the LORD to perform the daily duties of their various tasks, according to their responsibilities and their divisions. 17 And they distributed to the priests enrolled by their families in the genealogical records and likewise to the Levites twenty years old or more, according to their responsibilities and their divisions. 18 They included all the little ones, the wives, and the sons and daughters of the whole community listed in these genealogical records. For they were faithful in consecrating themselves.

Also see Numbers 1:20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38,40,42; Exodus 6:16 & 19

• Robdar
    Robdar

BlueGrass, have you ever heard of Yitro, the gentile priest and father in law of Moses?

And Yitro said, ‘Blessed is the Lord who has saved you from the hand of Egypt and from the hand of Pharaoh…’” (Exodus 18:9-11)

How about Abraham, a convert; or Ruth, the Moabite convert who was the grandmother of King David?

I appreciate your concern over my Jewishness, but you shouldn't let it bother your darling little head. All that matters to me is I have a certificate signed by 3 rabbis stating for the entire world that I am Jewish; I am entitled for citizenship in Israel if I want it; and I will die as a Jew and with other Jews-- if the need be.

Now then, instead of getting distracted over who is Jewish or not, why not get back to the topic at hand, the immortal soul?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Well said Robdar. Nice little red herring thrown in there. Back to the topic at hand.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Well said Robdar. Nice little red herring thrown in there. Back to the topic at hand.

Now, now, all.

Let us be kind and tenderly compassionate toward Blue Grass.

To quote another's post, Blue Grass, highlight the text, right click and select "Copy."

Place your cursor where you want text to appear, right click again and select "Paste."

Go to "Styles" right below Title bar and click the drop down arrow - "Quote" should appear.

Select "Quote."

Hope that works!

Peace.

Sylvia

PS: I quoted Isaac's remarks as a test - simply a test.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Let us be kind and tenderly compassionate toward Blue Grass.

Why Sylvia, I am surprised at you. As long as you have known me, surely you realize I am being kind and tenderly compassionate towards BlueGrass? And I haven't even puked yet.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

You guys are a hot mess!

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Most theologians and serious Bible student agree that the book of revelation isn't inspired but even assuming that it is one would just say it's using symbolic language there.

The WT based the core of their theology, the 144K, on Revelation.

Don't go telling them that, LOL !

• Mary
    Mary

I just thought of another scripture that Witnesses like to avoid:

Hebrews 4:12 that says: "...For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;

If our 'spirit' is nothing more than "breath" or "wind", this scripture would make no sense. It only makes sense if man is comprised of a dual nature. So Blue Grass-----do you have a rebuttal for any of the scriptures we've presented to you? Or are you simply going to continue to ignore them and worry about Robdar's Jewishness?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit