Immortal Soul? Impossible!

by wannabe 114 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

From the first century AD:

"If you have any means of torture, apply it to my body, for my soul you cannot touch even if you would...Let us with all our hearts consecrate ourselves to God, who gave us our lives, and let us use our bodies as a bulwark for the Law. Let us not fear him who thinks he is killing us, for great is the struggle of the soul and the danger of eternal torment lying before those who transgress the commandment of God. Therefore let us put on the full armor of self-control, which is divine reason. For if we so die, Abraham and Isaac and Jacob will welcome us, and all the fathers will praise us" (4 Maccabees 10:4, 13:13-17).

• bobld
    bobld

Why do these people always take what God said about man's sin a fact."sin=death=dust".If that is true than when God said to the "serpent you will eat dust all the days of your life" should be fact.Do you see serpents eating dust today.Duh

B

• Blue Grass
    Blue Grass

Leolaia those are some horrible examples. Overlooking the fact that you just posted a bunch of isolated verses unrelated to each other, the verses you posted have nothing to say about an afterlife:

Judges 2:10 "After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the LORD nor what he had done for Israel."

This verse is speaking of a burial not of a conscious afterlife. This is exactly what we saw with Jacob when he lived in Egypt.

Genesis 47: 28 Jacob lived in Egypt seventeen years, and the years of his life were a hundred and forty-seven. 29 When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called for his son Joseph and said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise that you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt, 30 but when I rest with my fathers, carry me out of Egypt and bury me where they are buried."

As you can see Judges is saying when one generation died off and was buried with their fathers. This same principle also applies to 1 Kings 2:10 11:43, 13:22, 14:31, and 15:8.

Psalm 30:2-3, 49:14-19, 22:28-29, and 86:13 are references to a resurrection which is very different from an afterlife.

Do the Jews of the Bible include the first-century Pharisees?

No it doesn't because Jesus makes it clear throughout the New Testament that the Jews of the first century beliefs were perverted and they didn't follow the teaches that have been passed down from Moses.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Mary and Leolaia, I appreciate your erudite and articulate posts. Cheers.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Even though you may praticed a form of modern Judaism you don't have any relation to the Jews in the Bible hence you have no special knowledge of the topic at hand as you tried to imply.

You really are ignorant about who is Jewish and who is not, but that isn't surprising. Instead of attacking me, please address the issues at hand.

BTW, I am certain I have more knowledge than you on the subject considering I have received my instruction straight from the source. You on the other hand, haven't a clue.

No it doesn't because Jesus makes it clear throughout the New Testament that the Jews of the first century beliefs were perverted and they didn't follow the teaches that have been passed down from Moses.

Please stop. You are embarrassing yourself.

• Mary
    Mary

You hear that Robdar? You're not really a Jew according to shit-for-brains Blue Grass. Why? Because he says so. My god, not only is he the most arrogant poster I've run across in a long time, he's also the most ridiculous one. Now we find out after 2,000 years that not even the Pharisees were really Jews! Oh the humanity!!

I was going to post a rebuttal to Blue Grass' moronic post, but since he obviously has no real interest in looking at anything other than through he own warped view, I see little point.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    P.S How do I quote people with that yellow box?

Figure it out for yourself, Mr. Smarty Pants.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    You hear that Robdar? You're not really a Jew according to shit-for-brains Blue Grass. Why? Because he says so. My god, not only is he the most arrogant poster I've run across in a long time, he's also the most ridiculous one. Now we find out after 2,000 years that not even the Pharisees were really Jews! Oh the humanity!!

LOL!

I was going to post a rebuttal to Blue Grass' moronic post, but since he obviously has no real interest in looking at anything other than through he own warped view, I see little point.

Mary, you have already handed him his ass. Your posts have been splendid and spot on.

I believe Old Boy cannot take a real interest in anything other than his own warped view because if he did, his world will come crashing down. Hopefully one day he will free his mind and his ass will follow.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Blue grass said:

Isaacaustin says "It goes back to God, while the soul goes to hell or heaven, awaiting a reuniting with body and spirit...or to the final destination of gehenna with the spirit remaining with Gid."

Wow! Where did you read all of that? Can you show what part of the Quran you got that from?

My reply: I have never read the Quran. Is that your rulebook? Mary is right, you sure are braindead.

• Mary
    Mary

I'm just waiting to hear BlueGrass use the phrase "celebrated WT scholars..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit