My Republican Friends

by JimmyPage 86 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hemp I luv ya! Next time you're in Cali........

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

*sigh*

No one's opinion here should either be underrated or overrated.

As a voter, you can both express your opinion and also vote!

At the same time, the absolutely brilliant political commentary that we former JW's display truly shows why both the GOP and Dems are breaking down our doors trying to get us to work for them.

Well Gregor, maybe you can get on Fux News.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Jeffrey I luv ya! Next time you're in Cali....................

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Now don't start throwing that "intelligence" word around, you elitist!

Yeah, Hemp. Don'tcha know! I thought many here would be familiar with the concept of 'anti-intellectualism' which has been around for a hundred years and beyond (1642: "The more learned and witty you bee, the more fit to act for Satan will you bee" ) but has really hit its stride in the last 50 years with the rise of evangelical fundamentalist conservatism.

As I've said here before, just because one recognizes the phenomenon of anti-intellectualism in no way means they lay claim to being an "intellectual" - mercy! - any more than remarking on the rain makes one a meteorologist.

However, I may be an elitist - I do prefer discourse with intelligent people.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Squeal! SQUEAL! Too late to back off the elitist hubris.

Get in line with the weeny congressmen who are looking to getting re-elected in November!

"Dear President Obama,

Thanks for the offer to come out and help me with the campaign but actually we are doing fine and I know how busy you are what with your public speaking and golf schedule.

Regards,

_____________( pick a name)"

• Balsam
    Balsam

Oddly enough I signed up to vote for the first time in my life with the presidental elections in 2005, as an independent so I would be able to open minded enough to evauate both sides and in the middle. I voted in 2005, then I voted in 2009. Sad thing is I've tried to have rational conversations with Republicans and it has always gone south quickly and it always turned ugly on their part which totally boggles my mind.

Needless to say the polictical system is so devisive that there is no meeting in the middle so I dropped all my republican friends. The feeling was mutual in the end and they were more than glad to have no more contact with me and replaced them with folks that still have the ability to think and reason without wanting to kill me.

My parents when I was growing up became Republicans back before I was born, then became so disgusted they quit voting entirely by the time I hit jr. high school. My Dad used to say there is no such thing as good politics.

I thought it would be so wonderful to vote and try to understand it all but that didn't happen, it is disappointing to say the least. I very much wanted Universal Health care, my son is uninsured because he out of school and working. His company insurance is so high it he literally would have his entire wages to pay the insurance. My sister died at 65 as a result of temporary jobs and no insurance in California. By the time she was given insurance through Social securty she died because of no health care for years and years and her health was so bad. I've seen poor poor republicans who have no insurance fight this chance at having univeral healthcare for all Americans. It is just boggles my mind how they could feel like they do. They stand to die without healthcare but still they want no part of it. Social Security medicare is a very good program but has a lot of waste and it is reasonably priced compared to other insurance companies and it is a product of the federal government.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

Behold the return of the inbred buggering Sodomite. How'd your 401K do last year, Gregor?

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

I hear you, Balsam. It's especially scary when it starts to affect our children. My daughter has never been insured, because it's cheaper to pay cash than what it would cost to add her to my plan. We just have to keep our fingers crossed against catastrophe. And like you, it blows me away how so many Republicans vote against their own best interests.

I'm so sorry about your sister.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    My sister died at 65 as a result of temporary jobs and no insurance. By the time she was given insurance through Social securty she died because of no health care for years and years. I've seen poor poor republicans who have no insurance fight this chance at having univeral healthcare for all Americans and it just boggles my mind how they could feel like they do. They stand to die without healthcare but still they want no part of it.

Balsam,

I have posted here previously about friends in the same position - no health care, but they would fight to the death against reforms that would benefit them.

Some have health insurance through their work (or their spouse's work) and feel no concern for the millions who don't have that advantage. There is a smug lack of compassion (or comprehension) that is staggering.

This is the richest country in the world but we've argued for over a hundred years something that all other civilized countries in the world accept - we are in this boat together and our civilization is better for providing the basic necessities of life to all.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Behold the return of the inbred buggering Sodomite. How'd your 401K do last year, Gregor?

HMSL! Holding My Stomach Laughing! (Just made it up.)

Perhaps we could just say IBS - ? Would that be confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, d'you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit