Where is God when the Haitians needed him?

by AK - Jeff 73 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

This is where we have to disagree.

Thanks for the name calling by the way. You are in top form.

BTS

• Simon
    Simon
    Thanks for the name calling by the way. You are in top form.

Thank you.

Oh, and I expect you to find a suitable graph to copy showing illumination and god-derived benefits to mankind since 1AD and how it has not had any effect on the climate.

• moshe
    moshe

All this is nothing new to most Jews who went through the Holocaust. They analyzed what happened and have ever since relied upon themselves, not miraculous intervention, to build a Jewish community, seek healing and protection for their families and for Israel.

• cofty
    cofty

BTS you know that I hold very different views from you but having said that, I respect your honest agnosticism on the problem of evil. Lame attempts to excuse god or avoid the reality of suffering pains all of us but you avoid that.

Faith gives us the certainty that God would not permit an evil if he did not cause a good to come from that very evil, by ways that we shall fully know only in eternal life.

This is difficult to understand. Is god reacting to evil that is outside his control and making positive things come out of it; or is he causing the pain because it is in some unkonwn way for the best in the long run?

Maybe its a distinction without a difference?

Either way the world just seems more explicable to me when you take god out of the equation.

After the tsunami when I was a believer I was sad and angry, this time I am just sad for the victims. No anger, no angst or wondering "WHY?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    After the tsunami when I was a believer I was sad and angry, this time I am just sad for the victims. No anger, no angst or wondering "WHY?

I don't feel angst or anger either. Just sad for the people.

BTS

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Often times, God appears in the middle of the storm, and faith and hope are what carry a people through hard times.

This is the real crux. You have but to believe, to take advantage of that hope. It's the act of believing that gives people strength, not god.

A people without faith are a people without hope. I have faith that eventually a prosperous Haiti will emerge from the rubble, and I pray.

Faith in what? I have faith in the basic goodness of man. I also believe that eventually Haiti will right itself. With the help of decent people everywhere.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

My goodness what whiners. Where was the Haitian government? Where was the U.S. government? Where were the South American governments? Where was the U.N.? Where were the international corporations? When Haiti was being raped and left to die long before the earthquake?

It's so much easier to blame God rather than ourselves. These people were eating clay recently to survive.

Nope the buck stops with God! What God? He doesn't exist remember?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I have faith in the basic goodness of man.

Which must be why you desire the shelter of an autocratic state to protect you from excessive goodness. I have more faith in man than you do.

BTS

• Twitch
    Twitch

He'll make it all right, one day

• snowbird
    snowbird
    snowblind:
    Let me make sure I understand this. God could not do anything to PREVENT the earthquake. Or to WARN pepole to flee the area prior to the earthquake. But AFTER the earthquake this same god can use his spirit or his power or whatever it is to direct people to go and help the survivors fo the earthquake. Is that what you are expecting us to believe?
    Because if that is what you are expecting us to believe I have a big problem with that. Here is my problem. If God's spirit, or power or whatever it is could move people to rush to Haiti's assistance then why did "God" not use that same spirit or power or whatever it is to move the people of Haiti to leave the areas that were about to be hit with an earthquake?

Unhappy Guy:

My advice to you is to save your histrionics and remonstrations for the time when such disasters befall us.

Our time is coming, you know!

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit