NEW GENERATION DEFINED -- April 15, 2010 Watchtower

by Ultimate Reality 385 Replies latest watchtower bible

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Sorry, I'm late to this thread and don't feel like reading all twelve pages. Does this mean that the WT has completely abandoned the teaching that the 144,000 were sealed in 1935? I know they'd slightly altered the doctrine some years ago to allow for some replacements in case some of the original chosen died unfaithful, but this new "overlap" teaching would seem to completely nullify the 1935 doctrine. Is this the case?

tall penguin

• acolytes
    acolytes

How can any continue to think the governing body are sincere?

Acolytes

• snowbird
    snowbird

[Is this the case?]

I believe that it is.

Is 1935 even mentioned any more?

Tee hee hee hee.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Does this mean that the WT has completely abandoned the teaching that the 144,000 were sealed in 1935?

Yes, although that abandonment was done in a completely different article 2 years ago. April or May of 2008, don't recall exactly, there's a bunch of threads on it here some place.

Of course, that article paved the way for this article about the "overlapping generations".

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Again with this teaching?? The GB really are pathetic. They need to just admit they are wrong and leave it alone. But they can't..

This new teaching is supposed to inspire fear in the newer JW's, that 'the end' really is close (uh, this time around).

For example, my sister (still a JW) tells me that in her congo there are plenty of those who believe the end is close because the anointed won't all pass away and that they're all getting old. This teaching will only reinforce that fear. But the ones who think this way are newer JW's. Most of these people weren't JW's during the 60s and 70s, so they weren't around for 1975. And they also weren't around when the WT started talking fear about 'apostates' and the 'generation not passing away'. They weren't around for the first cold chill in 1995, when the WT changed the generation teaching.

The other reason I think they started teaching this is because the GB is trying to make itself look as if it knew all along that this is what Jesus meant, and that they weren't really wrong in 1995.

In the end, it's all prophetic fluff.

• rocketman
    rocketman

As already mentioned, keeping the application of Jesus' words to the generation of people in the first century (among them those who actually heard his words) is the only way (or at least the easiest way) to make it work.

The only other way is to abandon the link to 1914.

Who knows, that could "evidently" be next; but I think they've dug themselves into too deep a hole in regard to 1914.

• LennyinBluemont
    LennyinBluemont

Well, I haven't been around for many months, but I just couldn't resist this one. I think someone on an earlier page said it best.

Let's see. . . . I really want to understand this. . . . .because. . .I want to keep up with Jehovah's chariot. I think I get it. . . .but. . . .what's that terrible smell?

Oh yeah, it's just more crap they pulled out of their ass.

What a rush it must be for the arrogant bastards on the GB to realize they can explain ANYTHING in ANY WAY, print it with their imprimatur, and millions of human beings will ingest it, lick their chops and say, "Thank you!" What a banquet they're dishing out. But all processed food. Very processed.

• mutinyinheaven
    mutinyinheaven

i hope this little kick in the pants nails the wtbts with a decent decrease this year, and we can welcome a flood of membership increase to our little discussions here. :)

-tony

Confessions of a Teenage Jesus Jerk
    Available this month through Soft Skull Press

• undertheradar
    undertheradar

Hi tall penguin

There is a box in the April 15th 2010 Watchtower entitled "ARE YOU KEEPING UP WITH INCREASED LIGHT" where it mentions the ceasing of the heavenly hope calling. It refers to the May 1st 2007 Watchtower pages 30 - 31 that says they do not know when the calling will cease.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Re the 1935 date :

Wt May 1st 2007 p 31

Question From Readers - "When Does the Calling of Christians to a Heavenly Hope Cease?" [extract]

"In 1935 the “great crowd” of Revelation 7:9-15 was understood to be made up of “other sheep,” Christians with an earthly hope, who would appear on the world scene in “the last days” and who as a group would survive Armageddon. (John 10:16; 2 Timothy 3:1; Revelation 21:3, 4) After that year, the thrust of the disciple-making work turned to the gathering in of the great crowd. Hence, especially after 1966 it was believed that the heavenly call ceased in 1935. This seemed to be confirmed when almost all who were baptized after 1935 felt that they had the earthly hope. Thereafter, any called to the heavenly hope were believed to be replacements for anointed Christians who had proved unfaithful.

Without a doubt, if one of the anointed unrepentantly falls away, Jehovah does call another individual to take his place. (Romans 11:17-22) However, the number of genuine anointed ones who have become unfaithful is likely not large. On the other hand, as time has gone by, some Christians baptized after 1935 have had witness borne to them that they have the heavenly hope. (Romans 8:16, 17) Thus, it appears that we cannot set a specific date for when the calling of Christians to the heavenly hope ends."

NB in this new Article of 15/05/2010 about the H/S in which they casually drop the bombshell of the generation that overlaps , I see that they print a box that proudly shows other "refinements" Win recent years . The question of the 1935 non date for anointed calling is one of the changes listed under the caption "Are you keeping up with increased light?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit