NEW GENERATION DEFINED -- April 15, 2010 Watchtower

by Ultimate Reality 385 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sd-7
    sd-7

You finally did it! You blew it up! Ham you! Ham you all to shell! I don't believe it. They really wiggled out of it. It's like politics, my gosh! Rather than just admit being wrong, submit to the guidance of the Bible and stop speculating about the end, they just found a new way to make it seem like they could predict it, narrow it down somehow. Perhaps, sadly, recent events are only helping solidify in people's minds the things they're being taught.

"Many will come on the basis of my name, saying, 'I am he', and, 'The due time has approached.' Do not go after them."--Luke 21:8

SD-7

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

This now marks the 6th definition of the Generation in the Society's history. Four of which have been applicable at some point over the past 15 years or so.

I love how the false premise of Proverbs 4:18 sets up this argument. Proverbs 4 talks about how a person lives their life -- it has nothing to do with 'new' truths.

For lurkers, see jwfacts.com for more details on the development of the concept of new light and the history of the Generation.

• sir82
    sir82

The first (of 3 and counting!) re-definition of "generation" in 1995 had a subtle, yet definite, effect on JW morale. That definition disconnected Armageddon from people alive in 1914, thus apparently pushing back Armageddon several years.

Since that time, the rate of baptisms has pretty steadly declined. The overall numbers keep going up, but the slope of the curve has changed.

Over the past couple of years, with a constant drumbeat of the "imminence" of Armageddon, they seemed to get a bit of their mojo back. After years of 1 or 2 % increases in the US, it's been 3 or 4 % recently. In Europe, after years of 0% or even "negative growth", rates inched up to + 1 or 2 %.

But now they come out with another article which, as I demonstrated above, clearly pushes back Armageddon even further - perhaps even decades.

What will be the effect of this article, once JWs absorb it?

I'd say, short term, not much. But as years pass, including the "100th anniversary of Christ's kingship" in 2014, I expect there will be an even more pronounced drain on morale.

By 2015 we might begin to see across-the-board negative numbers in JW year-over-year numbers (undoubtedly, to be soon followed by the cessation of publishing the reports).

• oompa
    oompa

and what about the fact that the scripture says that THE generation that sees ALL these things occur would not pass away before the end??????....the overlap people dont see jackshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!arrrrrrrhgggggghhhhhhhh.....please tell me some will walk away from this crap!!....but i swear most wont even get it....or care...or question....or want to understand.....and they will be in service still using the reasoning book telling people the gen of 1914 is getting real old now and folks better hurry in to the jw bombshelter before armageddon blasts them into brdfood....(that by the way is the new tag on my motorcycle.....lol....brdfood!!!!...............oompa

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

“Christ’s Presence—What Does It Mean to You?”
    explained that Jesus was referring, not to the wicked,
    but to his disciples, who were soon to be anointed
    with holy spirit. Jesus’ anointed followers, both
    in the first century and in our day, would be the ones
    who would not only see the sign but also discern its
    meaning—that Jesus “is near at the doors.”

GB, you scum, you all better hide under the tables with fear and trembling. Cause if Jesus is near the doors, he is going to sling those doors open like Clint Eastwood walking into a saloon.

There is gonna be a helluva bar fight when he returns.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Although
    we cannot measure the exact length of “this
    generation,” we do well to keep in mind several
    things about the word “generation”: It usually refers
    to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during
    a particular time period; it is not excessively long;
    and it has an end.

It usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap? According to who? Do twenty five year olds consider senior citizens part of their generation? Does the baby boomer generation consider teenagers a part of theirs? You have got to be kidding.....

How, then, are we to
    understand Jesus’ words about “this generation”?
    He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed
    who were on hand when the sign began to become
    evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other
    anointed ones who would see the start of the great
    tribulation.

This part makes me sick....first they ask "How are we to understand" They have tried to explain their understanding of this for 100 years, with several modifications of their "understanding" Each and every one has been 100% wrong. They they go on with one of their favorites "evidently" Absolutely laughable that they take credit for knowing exactly what Jesus was explaining.

By maintaining your sense of
    urgency and keeping on the watch, you show that
    you are keeping up with advancing light and following
    the leadings of holy spirit.

Translation: Do more, shutup and keep following us and our advancing light. Following holy spirit? Puuuuuuleeeeeeaaasssssse...

• journey-on
    journey-on
    advancing light

Have they stopped calling it "new light"? Advancing light has a better ringtone, don'cha think?

I have to wonder if these yayhoos in N.Y. actually believe they are receiving this insight from Holy Spirit, or if they sit in a board room somewhere and discuss ways to wiggle out of the corner they have backed themselves into.....how can we keep this cushy gig going another 50 years?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Sir82:

Stay alive 'til 75...2075 that is!

LMAO! Lots of gems in that article. Sadly I think we EX-dubs paymore attention to the B than the ones in. That will go right over most of the sheeple's head.

I was recently looking up info on 75 (1975 cause as Sir82 pointed there is a new one on the horizon) and I forgot how heavy they used to push the whole generation only 70-80 yrs thing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Everything isaacaustin said is correct, even the "getting muddy" part.

Oh, I imagine they will trot out some ancient anointed one who is near or past 100 years old and put his/her lifestory in the Awake (or right in the WT) soon. That way, they can stretch the 1914 generation right up until NOW.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They are trying a ninja leap out of the corner they keep painting themselves into. Careful inspection will find paint on the tennys though. WOW

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit