Let the "Tithing" begin!

by The Berean 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• The Berean
    The Berean

Last night during the Service Meeting a letter was read indicating that more money was needed by Jehovah's Witnesses in order to expand the world-wide work . It was suggested that each publisher take a piece of paper and write down the amount of money they would be willing to give and hand it to the Elders. It seems to be a cleverway to gather "seed money" by the organization while not calling it a "tithe." After all, each publisher will have named the amount ....... looks like required contributions loom ahead!

• sir82
    sir82

Not much good if the papers aren't required to be signed.

• acolytes
    acolytes

In my opinion this approach opens the eyes of newly interested ones.

Iam sure every congregation will receive a big pledge. I hope for every big pledge the other side of the coin equals a doubt in someones mind.

Acolytes

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

good thing they didn't have to sign them. I bet the legal dept would have been all over this letter.

• The Berean
    The Berean

Perhaps not ... yet "guilt" amd "obligation" remain the undocumented tools of control, and whatever the "slave" says is interpreted by the faithful as God's orders ... and in their mind the "angels" are watching and recognize their writing!

• cantleave
    cantleave

What country was the Berean?

• The Berean
    The Berean

Somewhere in the "Land of Oz" is my best guess ....

• dissed
    dissed

We used to pass out handbills for public talks that had large letters saying "Free - No collection plates....etc..."

My how things have changed.

Most JW's are cheap and only give when they think about it. With the economy, most are feeling the pressure and are giving less. This will serve to put the JW's under some obligation, at least reminding them what the quota is, causing a gulity conscience if they don't make the stated promise.

Look for more service talks on keeping your promise to JG.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Local needs are sometimes raised this way, it must be a WTS instruction to have people promise a certain amount. From what I have seen, it never pans out to actually become the same as the promise. Many really intend to give a decent monthly amount, but they don't really tabulate correctly and only give the promise for one-to-three months. Or they give the promised amount by cutting down on local contributions- out of one box and into another.

I always tended to write a very small amount because I understood that it was "ongoing" if they were asking for a monthly amount. If they were asking for one-time contributions, they might as well have just asked for the money because people "promised" as if they would win the lottery before it was collected.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Let the "Tithing" begin!'

It's an easy stretch for the GB to do this. All they have to do is to do what they've already done when they impose Judaic law on their members, while at the same time saying dubs are not under that law: "Brothers, while we all know Jesus fulfilled the law and we are no longer under the law, there are certain PRINCIPALS in the law that are important for us to heed. For example, the principal of tithing..."

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit