by Farkel 107 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

What a scam.

Bangalore

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

- "Something" momentous will happen in 1975

Yep, thousands left! the GB blamed everybody else for the egg on their faces and swept it all under some big rug in Brooklyn.

oz

• Heaven
    Heaven

Yeah, 1975... what a joke! Literally. I was 12 and if JWs want to try and deny it they'll have to erase the news stories because me and all my classmates were saying mock 'good byes' to each other in October of 1975. The stories were on the radio as the JWs were so sure Armageddon was coming.

And they're still doing it. Last summer there were JWs on the news saying the end is imminent. They never learn.

The definition of insanity: Doing the same things over and over expecting different results.

This describes JWs to a 'T'.

• Heartofaboy
  • coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was there too. I was pregnant in 1975. (my daughter was born in March of 1976) I saw so many sell all they had to serve where the "need was great". Very few of my jw generation ever had children. You were supposed to wait until after Armageddon.

Yet the wt never takes responsibility for the sacrifices they demanded. They deny being a false prophet dispite the fact that nothing they ever predicted came true. Dispite how forcefully their predictions were made, and the frenzy they caused and the disappointment that followed...they claimed all of this came from Jehovah.

For those who claim they are not a false prophet:

1894 - "We see no reason for changing the figures - nor would we change them if we could. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date of the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble." (Watchtower, July 15, 1894, p. 266)

Coffee

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

What about the Awake! Oct 8 1966? (unfortunatly i dont have a hard copy and its not on the lib cd... i got the quote somewhere on here!)

‘We are nearing the end of the first six thousand years of man’s existence.
    If the date of the creation of man (4026 B.C) is also the date of the beginning
    of the seventh creative day or sabbath, it is therefore calculated that the end of the first 6,000 years of this 7,000-year-long day will take place in the year 1975.
    Since the last thousand years of this seventh day are to be occupied entirely by the millennial reign of Christ, it follows that the year 1975 will witness the Battle of Armageddon and the ushering in of the long awaited new world under the King Jesus Christ.

I had forgotten this old post of mine... i learned since that this was NOT a quote from the awake, rather a quote of someone talking of the time.

I feel i must make this humble correction to my previous ignorant statement!

sorry

oz

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The following were the two philosophies I was raised on and I will never forgive the Borg for what they did to my education:

"Many schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. This world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! Wisely, then, let God's Word influence you in selecting a course that will result in your protection and blessing. Make pioneer service, the full-time ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future!" Watchtower1969 March 15 p.171

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the "last days" in 1914, Jesus foretold: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur."-Matt. 24:34. Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in highschool and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!" Awake!1969 May 22 p.15

(Thanks to jwfacts.com for the handy quotes: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php )

• VM44
    VM44

"you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things"

I very much would like to know who wrote that back in 1969. I want to hold the author accountable for what he wrote!!

Was it fact, or fantasy?

Time has shown it was the latter!

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I was 15 in 1969 & I truly believed what I was being told by the Jehovah's Witnesses at that time was from Jehovah.

I was influenced by them & didn't pursue higher education or a career & left school to pioneer.

Oh my lord, What a fool I was to give those old men in Brooklyn any credance.

I can never forgive them!

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

After the Governing Body elected Fred Franz to be the fourth president of the Watch Tower’s Pennsylvania Corporation following the death of Nathan H. Knorr in 1977, Harry Peloyan told us he went to Lloyd Barry’s office to make it known exactly how he felt about the appointment. His disgust knew no bounds, he said, because it was Fred Franz who developed the argument that the end of 6,000 years of man's existence would end in 1975 and then soon the thousand year rule of Christ would begin. Harry laid the following paragraph squarely in Franz’s lap:

The observation that 1975 may well mark the beginning of mankind's great Jubilee has intrigued many. According to the Bible timetable, man's history on earth has been nearly 6,000 years. Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E., which means that six thousand years of human history end about the fall of 1975 C.E. We are in the great 7,000-year rest day of God, starting at the time he rested after the creation of Adam and Eve. There are, therefore, a thousand years left to run. Without Satan and his demons to disturb mankind it will indeed be a restful time. It will be like a sabbath.
    Watchtower 7/15/67 pg.446-7

Peloyan blamed Franz for the exodus of 500,000 (the Society's figure) disenchanted Witnesses after 1975 who, he said, would die at Armageddon. I remember hearing the forcefulness in Harry’s voice when he repeated what he told Lloyd, “And you reward this man for such travesty by making him president.”

Barbara

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit