1975 For Deniers

by Farkel 107 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

1975 for Deniers

Most of today's JWs were not members in 1975 or in the 9 years prior to 1975, so they were not eyewitnesses to what really went on during that period. I was a pioneer in that period, and I was an eyewitness to what went on.

Those JWs who are still active today and who were around in that period will typically say it was the "brothers" who "ran ahead of Jehovah" and "read more into" the 1975 prediction than what was actually stated. In fact, due to help from their religious masters they have even coined a pejorative stop-think phrase about it: "serving for a date." This phrase is a masterpiece of WTS deception. It implies greediness and selfishness on the part of those members who later left the religion, but who truly believed that was to be the start of Armageddon and the gateway to the Paradise Earth.long promised by their religious leaders.

The main excuse given is that the society never stated "for sure" that Armageddon would happen then. What excuse do they have then when District Overseer Charles Sunutko in 1967 got the assembly audiences all whipped up with his "Stay Alive 'Til '75!" slogan in his speech here:

Charles Sunutko

Why did not the WTS clamp down on him or correct his "running ahead of Jehovah" comments and allow him to give several speeches on this theme to large JW audiences?

I'm not going to dwell on what the WTS did or didn't say about 1975 in this article. That's been done many times before. I'm going to present a significant piece of empirical evidence however, and let the readers draw their own conclusions.

I was at the 1968 Pomona, California District assembly and we were told something really BIG was going to happen there. It did. It was the release of the book "The Truth That Leads to Eternal Life." It was a very small book and not at all like the typical book released at conventions. It was topically arranged and designed specifically as a teaching book for our Bible studies.

Not that much later an even bigger bombshell was dropped. We were told in no uncertain terms that if our Bible studies had not progressed into going to meetings and going in field service within 6 months after the study was started we were to drop them. What was the reason? "The time is too short for dilly-dallying around." This was unprecedented in WT history.

"Six months and dump them" was our local slogan. "Go to hell in 6 months if you are not one of us, because you will die shortly at Armageddon" is what many of us thought.

I'm sure that "policy" was dumped not that long after the 1975 failure showed our massive urgency was just a pile of horse dung. It's now 35 years and a full generation later and even the 1975 date has been carefully removed from the WTS Time Lines of Significant World Events in their history and reference books.

So, this begs the question, is not the "6 month-and-drop-them" policy solid empirical evidence that the WTS wanted members to be deadly serious about 1975 and give their lives, treasures and souls to the service of the WTS to that end?

Sure it is. Those who bought into it and became disillusioned when the lie was exposed later were called evil ones who were "serving for a date." But the WTS got very rich in those years because of the huge growth in membership comprised of people who believed that what they were promised came from God.

To say that the Governing Body is a bunch of cynical old assholes is being way too kind to them, in my not so humble opinion.

Farkel

• joelingeorgia
    joelingeorgia

they are like any group who prospers by manipulating others whether it be religion, politics or business.

what is traumatizing to many, including myself is that we really really believed what they told us.

my short stint at Bethel was filled with eye opening moments of pure shock.

I remember my mom talking about the 6 month rule, but she didn't follow it. she would study with

people for years.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Good write up Farkel, yes I was one those anxious JW going door to door before and around 1975 as well.

I never quite understood how they could accurately count back 6000 years of mans existence, down to the month.

( correct me if I'm wrong on this its been awhile )

Your right, in that this marketing strategy in the years prior 1975 , created a mount of wealth and growth

for the Publishing Corporation. Unfortunately I can also recall a few suicides, people who dropped out of school, people who didn't get married,

people who intensionally held off from having children, the list goes on.

In retrospect it was all just sensationalized and embellished bullshit for book marketing purposes,

orchestrated in apathetic arrogance.

• dissed
    dissed

I can even remember we were to drop them before the 6 months if the student was not making satisfactory progress. (Example - Were they sharing in FS and planning on Baptism)

Many of us sought guidance on what to do with the student if we finished the 'truth book' and they were not progressing. Some Elders and CO's said to drop them cold to perhaps sober the student up to make WTS commitments.(sort of like DF'ing discipline, but kinder) And reasoning.......the time is too short to waste on those not really interested.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

They can say that Sinutko was rogue in his speech.

They can say that the publishers read more into the significance of 6000 since human creation.

They can say the those who left were just serving for a date (I know *I* said that exact thing for many years).

But, really, how else can they explain the new arrangement established with the release of that little blue book? The purpose was just as you said, to "Speed up the separating work because the end is imminent."

-Aude.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

People who are active JW`s now,who lived through that era..

Deny anything happened..

These are people I`ve known for decades..

And..

They believe themselves..

The first time it happened I was in Shock..

I came to realise..

The WBT$ actually does BrainWash Jehovah`s Witness`s..

The WBT$ can erase years of personal experience..

And..

Replace it with a Life,that Never Happened..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• journey-on
    journey-on

I was there. I lived through it. I watched a 50+ year old couple (very old to me at the time...lol) quit work and sell all their belongings to enter the pioneer work full-time because of the society's 1975 "prediction". Their faith was strong. I have to hand that to them. I often wonder how they faired in their old age and probable poverty. I remember the "6-month or drop 'em" policy and remember thinking "wow! we really must be getting down to the wire"!

It angers me when they say they didn't advocate 1975 as a special date. And, of course, those who weren't there believe the current cover-up about it. Shortly after that, I began my fade. The idea that this is just another fanatical end-times religion was born in my heart and mind, and I was not going to put my life and the lives of my little kids on hold for some "pie in the sky" endeavor.

Thanks, Farkel, for reminding us again that the 1975 hype was real.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

When Ted Jaracz spoke in an interview by a news journalist, he stated that the WTS does not go beyond what is written in the bible.

REALLY

If we accept that they gave false prophecies, God in Deuteronomy 18:20-22

says

However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have

not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that

prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know

the word that Jehovah has not spoken?”’ When the prophet speaks in the name

of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that

Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must

not get frightened at him.

When the head honchos gave talks at assemblies regarding 1975, they said it was spiritual food

at the proper time.

Power into mens minds can drive them into a state of perpetual mental illness and its mostly the people that they have power over are

the ones to invariably suffer the most.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I was a little girl and I remember it all like it was yesterday. The 1968 convention got everybody lathered up.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I was one that studied in that little blue book. It was quite well arranged for leading a person in deeper and deeper. The witnesses back then told me that they did not believe the end was coming in 1975. They gave me the selfish reasons you mention, running ahead and serving for a date.

Little did I know that I was coming into a crazy religion just when many were leaving. It is tribute to the level of mind control that the witnesses would deny what they had just been teaching a few months earlier.

They did that 6 month study time again later. I can't remember just what year. I do remember thinking it was rather extreme to expect a person to entirely change their life in six months and few followed the advice to drop studies after six months.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit