1975 For Deniers

by Farkel 107 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    Need I say cynical and arrogant assholes again?
    Farkel

Yes!..It fits..

And..I like it!!..

............. ...OUTLAW

• Gregor
    Gregor

The 1975 date was first brought up in a 1966 book (can't recall the name of it right now that showed a chronolgy chart from Adam to AD1975. Once the hounds got a whiff of it they ran with it for 9 years. All the WT had to do was keep refreshing the scent through innuendo, etc. Biggest growth spurt in their history.

The 6 month window to save your life and join up was unnofficialy a metaphor for Noah sealing the door on the Ark before it had even started to rain. They didn't want anyone joining up based on fear, oh no, just pure love of "The Truth".

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I was there too. I was busy learning the skills I would need in a world without the creature comforts we take for granted. When I got pregnant in 1971 my mother in anger and horror said, "How could you do this? The end will be here before the baby ever gets to school! We will have to run to the mountains to hide when the persecution starts and you will havbe to be carrying a baby around with you!"

Remember too that there was the predicted time where the nations would ban religion and would be coming after us. But I don't think anyone thought that would be a long period of time.

Well my baby went to school and graduated from high school. Her baby is now about to graduated from high school.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:The 1975 date was first brought up in a 1966 book (can't recall the name of it right now that showed a chronolgy chart from Adam to AD1975.

"Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God", yet another Fred Franz fantasy that went unrealized.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

lee,

You too, know the horrors of the lies we were fed. I'm still saddened by it all. Angry, too.

Farkel

• moshe
    moshe

RR, lots of people have went to the electric chair based on just inferences and circumstantial evidence. When a body of peers decides the evidence merits your guilt, society says you are guilty as charged. The WT can play all the tricky games they want to get out of 1975, but their weasel words fall on deaf ears.

• RR
    RR

I understand Moshe, but tell that to the die hard JW's I've witnessed too, no matter what I show them, they reject it because it doesn't specifically say "armageddon will come in 1975"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I knew a brother who put off heart surgery because the end was so close. He died needlessly. Many others put off dealing with important health problems believing it was more important to be out preaching than taking care of their health.

What sick sick games they play with people's lives!

• JeffT
    JeffT

I was baptized in the fall of 1973, along with my future wife and a couple of her aunts (some other future in laws were already in). All three of them were told that they had to be making progress toward baptism or the study would be dropped.

Farkel, I like the point you brought up about the six month studies. Here's the clincher for me: we all know that in Watchtowerland you will be counseled if you sneeze without permission. Although they harp endlessly about people running ahead on their own; I do not remember ANY counsel advising anyone not to talk about 1975, nor have our WTBS apologists here ever been able to pull up such a statement from the Society. Which means that either a lot of people were saying something not taught by the society (I find this impossible, the CO's would have had to be unaware or uncaring) or the WTBS let it happen because it suited there purposes, or most likely they openly encouraged it.

• undercover
    undercover
    The problem is, you'll NEVER find the Society's publicationd where they states, 1975 was the end of this system of things. There are inferences, but nothing solid

True, but as has been pointed out, there is empirical evidence that when compiled shows the intent of the Society. The fact that so many people from so many parts of the world and different backgrounds can look back to the late 60s and early 70s and speak of looking forward to 1975 is empirical evidence in itself.

I understand your point...that braindead dubs won't take the time to look at empirical evidence. It it's not in print, in big block letters, written for first graders, they're not going to accept that the Society ever pointed to 1975.

But...even though there's nothing in print that definitely shows them pointing to 1975 as the date of Armageddon, there is, in print, an apology (half-assed as it is) for being a contributing factor to the frenzy of the times:

Watchtower March 15, 1980

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date. (italics theirs)

While not a complete admittance of guilt for perpetrating the entire fiasco, it is enough to show that, yes, the Society was responsible for getting everyone all worked up for a date. All you have to do is show this to a 75 denier and see how they try to deny the words of the Society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit