What Are You Reading?

by zoiks 161 Replies latest jw friends

• four candles
    four candles

Hey Crapola,I love Dean Koontz books.......reading A Bad Place at the moment. Also Freebirds of Southern Rock - The story of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Rock on!!!

• zoiks
    zoiks

Now I'm working on A History of God by Karen Armstrong and The Lying Stones of Marrakech by Stephen Gould. The second one should take a while.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Just finished The Gunslinger, the first of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I just got Drawing of the Three, the second in the series, and The Associate by John Grisham. I haven't decided what I'm reading next.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Just finished The Partner and The Appeal by Grisham - lots of fun. The Partner was much more satisfying than the other, though not perfectly. But a great trip through pages.

Among the several I'm currently reading, Julie & Julia is a pleasure (though this is one of the few cases where I think the film distilled the elements of the book down to the most delicious reduction, perhaps superior to the book). It captures a zeitgeist of a piece of New York after 9/11, and while the language is at times unexpectedly harsh it's generally a lovely romp.

Blow Fly by Cornwell is rather disappointing - every character, every last one, is an extreme, stereotypical eccentric that acts against their own purposes. Everyone is grossly inconsistent within the very same paragraph, making it peopled by characters in need of immediate inpatient placement in an asylum. I fully expect every character involved to be dead by murder, suicide or inexplicable spontaneous combustion by the end.

Getting through the 8th volume in Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule series (aka Sword of Truth, if you follow the TV series - which is just such a pale travesty of the books). It's better than, say, volumes 5 and 6, not as good as the first 2 or 3. Still, recommended for the sword and sorcery crowd - much more articulate and engaging than, say, Brooks' Shannara series (though the more Terry writes the better they get). Brooks has got to be the only writer I know whose first book was his worst (a very thinly disguided rewrite of Tolkein) and goes consistently up from there.

Also just finished a tome on Dylan's Basement Tapes - good documentary, if you are curious about the music.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Also just finished a tome on Dylan's Basement Tapes - good documentary, if you are curious about the music.

If it is the book I am thinking of (Invisible Republic), I want to read it too.

BTS

• brainwashed-from-birth
    brainwashed-from-birth

Color of Water James McBride

• awildflower
    awildflower

I'm almost done with a book called In The Woods. And I'm immersed in Microsoft Word 2007! (Taking it as part of my Medical Office classes ) And I finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. I love reading!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hostile Shores by Bruce McFadgen

It studies New Zealand's volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis over the past 800 years and their impact on Maori coastal communities.

My home is in the danger zone for all of the above when they happen in the future.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

"Gods Behaving Badly" by Marie Phillips.

It's a light, funny read. About all the Greek gods: Apollo, Athena, Artemis, Eros, Aphrodite, Demeter, etc and how they are coping in the modern world.

A good book to take on vacation.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Oh, happy day! Crisis of Conscience, In Search of Christian Freedom, and The Gentile Times Reconsidered were delivered to my door yesterday! I have read CoC, and am hoping that my wife will read it now.

Just being able to have these and speak openly about their contents is a major victory!

Also... ISoCF is huge...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit