What Are You Reading?

by zoiks 161 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good Without God, Greg Epstein

How is that book? I saw it at the bookstore, but it seems a bit heavy on Humanism, which is almost a religion without God.
    The website doesn't offer much more, goodwithoutgod.com

Oh, I am currently reading THE ZEN TEACHINGS OF JESUS. It's alright.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I see two references here to Cormac McCarthy books: The Road and No Country for Old Men. Both are terrific reads and much better than the movies they spawned. McCarthy's early stuff, however, is almost unreadable, based on my futile attempts to read two of his older works.

The best book I've read in a while is U is for Undertow, the latest in the alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton. I thought is was her best book of the series, at least since J.

• trudyv
    trudyv

This Fall I began with a recommended book called The Addict, a story written by a psychologist about a drug that can help narcotic addicts. I moved from there to The End of My Addiction, written by a surgeon, a severe alcoholic, who sought a cure for alcoholism. He had found a limited amount of information on a substance that might help him but couldn't find anyone willing to participate in the experiment, so he tested it on himself. He is now sober and living a full life. Then I read The Power of No, a quick read with some good and simple things to always keep in mind before saying yes.

You may be wondering why these books... my daughter is an alcoholic, possibly an addict and definitely a manipulator. She has been in need of help for several years and it's been extremely frustrating to me that I seem to be incapable of reacting to her in a way that is helpful.

Throughout these books there were references to other writers/thinkers/resources. I followed with Wherever You Go, There You Are, a completely unexpected lead to mindfulness, compassion and an insight to meditation. This author referenced Henry David Thoreau's Walden, which I just finished. Walden was slow reading but there were some beautiful insights on nature, human nature and materialism.

What's next? I have no idea.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Trudyv- welcome!
    OnTheWayOut- Good Without God is ok. It is very very heavy on Humanism and how it can be a substitute for religion. Sort of giving the benefits of religion- community, etc.- without supernatural beliefs. I'm not sold on it, as I really don't want to jump out of one -Ism and into another, but I'll give the book a fair chance.
    Zoiks

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Lots of interesting suggestions on this thread.

At the moment I am making my way through Paul Krugman's textbook Macroeconomics after having just read Steve Keen's Debunking Economics: The Naked Emperor of the Social Sciences. I have read the chapter on growth and sustainability and I unconvinced by his reassuarance that economic growth will continue in the face of declining resources.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Hey Bonnzo and Walkins: I'm currently on The Dome as well. I was drawn to it because of how big the book is. I've never read Stephen King because after all, "he's from the devil" right. Can't put this book down. I'm on about page 400 today. Got it as an x-mas gift.

Lost in translation: I've read Ken Follets book, make sure you read the second one The Pillars of the Earth when your done with that, it's the sequel. Out of all novels I've ever read, those are the two that I could actually re-read. I don't do that often.

Tinker: I also read the Road, saw the movie. They were both pretty good but the book was better, of course.

• freewilly01
    freewilly01

The God Delusion

Richard Dawkins

• moshe
    moshe

I am reading the ARRL HF digital handbook in an attempt to set up my ham radio for psk-31 mode and sstv (slow scan TV) communications.

My wife reads 3-4 novels a week. The only fiction I read is historical fiction or science fiction, autobiographies are good, too.

next on my list is the latest Gurneys seed catalog that just came in the mail- Where I live gardening starts in January.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

World Without End is actually the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, but it apparently doesn't matter in what order you read them. I read PTE this summer, and have WWE awaiting me. (Found a hardback copy at a used bookstore for $2.)

• elder-schmelder
    elder-schmelder

I just got done reading "The Gospel of the FSM". I might be done reading now that I am a pastafarian.

elder-schmelder

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit