What Are You Reading?

by zoiks 161 Replies latest jw friends

• doublelife
    doublelife

I just finished reading the last volume of Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan.

Now I'm starting my second reading of Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

The Bible

A House of Gentlefolk by Ivan Turgenev

and Simon's Cat - that's easy cos it's all pictures LOL!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

"Man and His Symbols", by Carl Jung.

"Boston's Gun Bible", by Boston T. Party,

"My Way of Life", the pocket Summa of St. Thomas Aquinas

"Tales of Old Florida", by various,

and the Tao Te Ching

BTS

• Casper
    Casper

"Journey of Souls" ... and getting more confused by the minute

Cas

• Locutus of Borg
    Locutus of Borg

Have several going right now . .

• One Second After
    • The Martian Chronicles
    • The Diving Bell
    • American Lion
    • Undaunted Courage
  • DrJohnStMark
    DrJohnStMark

These are going now:

Paul Davies, The Mind of God (re-examining his earlier ideas)

Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita (also here)

Christopher Hitchens, God is not Great

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Funny you should ask. You won't believe what this book says about JWs. This book has nothing to do with religion. It's titled How to be Invisible by J.J. Luna.

The gist of the book is stuff like how to register your vehicle under a corporation name so you are less likely to get pulled over because cops might think your corp. has big lawyers, etc., etc. (Riiiiight. I doubt that would work for a rusty, bent fender, old Camero)

In this chapter it is talking about hiring people who can keep their mouth shut. People who are trustworthy with money, won't repeat what they overhear, and will not go through your trash.

Get this (page 81):

"My next suggestion maybe worth far more to you than the price you paid for this book. In the first edition..., I suggested you contact an active member of the Seventh-Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, or the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). Unlike with mainstream religions, you will seldomn if ever find a longtime member of these three religions in jail unless---as in some countries---they are there for their faith. These people believe their Creator is watching them, and most would rather die than steal."

Oh...but it get's better......

"Now that the feedback from this suggestion has come in, I will limit my recommendation to Jehovah's Witnesses, who received a uniformly good report."

PS. It also says 'they won't preach to you while on the job'.

• changeling
    changeling

Sepulchre, Kate Mosse :)

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The Celestine Insights James Redfield

Secrets of Street Survival- Israeli Style Eugene Sockut

• Lost-In-Translation
    Lost-In-Translation

Currently reading Ken Follet's "A World Without End"

Recently read:

Stieg Larsson - The Girl with the Dragon TatooStieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played with Fire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit