Facebook condemned

by straightshooter 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Not surprised. Bodies of elders are free to set "congregation standards" to determine who is "exemplary" enough for "privileges." Often these standards relate to dress/grooming--such as the infamous example from a few decades ago of some congregations requiring brothers to wear white shirts when giving talks.

In more recent years, I've heard of congregations not allowing JWs to serve as pioneers or Ministerial Servants if they go to nightclubs or rock concerts.

Of course, this varies from congregation to congregation. There has been no official condemnation of Facebook/Myspace/etc. from the Society. But I expect more local needs talks, mentions from the platform at circuit assemblies, etc., in the coming months and years.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This must be a local decision it isn't the case in the UK. Most of the Elder's kids still have FB accounts.

• undercover
    undercover
    There has been no official condemnation of Facebook/Myspace/etc. from the Society. But I expect more local needs talks, mentions from the platform at circuit assemblies, etc., in the coming months and years.

I don't think you'll ever see an official condemnation. Too damning. But it will be handed down orally through the traveling overseers and assembly parts. And when local elders get direction from 'mother' via the CO, they'll enforce the 'counsel' as if it was written in the Bible itself.

In more recent years, I've heard of congregations not allowing JWs to serve as pioneers or Ministerial Servants if they go to nightclubs or rock concerts.

I had not heard this. Is this a local thing? I do remember being counseled against discos....that shows how long ago I paid attention to anything they said. Going by the rock concert thing, I should've never been appointed MS. I've been to more concerts than Mick Jagger can shake a stick at...

• cantleave
    cantleave

Not true. I know Elders who still go to concerts. A friend of mine has seen Muse, U2 and Morrisey this year alone.

• sir82
    sir82

"Privileges" you can be sure won't be removed:

-- The privilege of scrubbing toilets

-- The privilege of contributing money

-- The privilege of using one's own car and gasoline in field circus

• undercover
    undercover
    Not true. I know Elders who still go to concerts. A friend of mine has seen Muse, U2 and Morrisey this year alone.

Not true in your congregation maybe. But I have seen some strange "rules" over the years. That's why I asked clarification...plus for personal reasons that only he'll understand.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I know at the current CA program there is mention of social networking sites and how they could potentially be dangerous. Not an outright condemnation but I know lots of self rightous elders that could take that and run with it.

They already have a terrible time of retaining young people and stuff like this ALWAYS backfires.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Hopefully, this move will cause at least a few individuals to have an awakening.

• Dagney
    Dagney

What about the elders who have Facebook accounts?

Edited to add:

I just check one elders FB account. You now cannot view his friends, of which he has hundreds. But it's there. And I also know a missionary who requested to be my friend. You can still she his friends.

• Stealth
    Stealth

"privileges" are way over rated.

More free time for skate boarding and social networking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit