Apostate Brainstorming Session

by AllTimeJeff 83 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

I just realized that in order for the JW's to change their policies, they would have to change their core doctrines- but it's not as though they haven't done this before

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Seriously, though. . .

I think the exposure has reached the point of saturation. Which is to say, anyone who WANTS to leave the JWs will find the information needed to convince himself that WT is not "God's Organization".

For less than twenty bucks, one can order 'Crisis of Conscience' and 'Combatting Cult Mind Control' from the privacy of their own home. Crisis as a PDF download and CCMC as a used paperback. This, after having perused the www.jwfacts.com, YouTube and FreeMinds.

As in the case of many of us, including myself, a random event triggered our critical thinking skills and then we went searching for more information. We had something to gain by finding out that WT was a big hoax. Hopefully, for some, their "random event" will be stumbling upon accurate information on the Internet (such as Wikipedia's list of JW criticisms, a fairly neutral site) or by acquaintances asking logical questions out of genuine concern. For others, it's a series of events or a gradual recognition that they're not among a loving group of people and moreover the hypocrisy and lack of love is so obvious.

But, for those who WANT to stay in, they WILL stay in. Also, as you've rightly stated, if WT closed today, numerous WT-Lite faiths would consume a sizable portion of the current WT membership.

I really appreciate Randy Watters' latest strategy: it's non-religious. Randy is a Christian and former pastor, but his current efforts to assist people out of the cult is by empowering them to think for themselves. He has been criticized for this change by some, but I think it's the right approach. There are dozens, if not hundreds of Christian faiths that one could choose to join after leaving. The exit process is MUCH more complicated than simply changing religions. Most experience some devastation at learning that WT is a joke. They've invested so much. It's not like other non-authoritarian religions. WT controls a person's way of thinking and their everyday conduct and outlook. Most have to go through some deprogamming/deconstruction, whether formally or informally.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Jeff, I think you are correct in thinking that it is based on a slow demise:

I do think that information needs to be continually put out to expose JW's. I am at a loss as to the best way. I truly don't believe, cynical as this sounds, that the public at large cares about the demise of Jehovah's Witnesses. They figured out JW's were nuts well before us. We are just catching up. So imo, to depend on the public's help in a groundswell of support, without a tsunami size scandal to help, is not realistic.

It just needs to be a quiet infiltration of information and experiences. You are correct, the public at large could give a rat's axx. As time goes on, more and more witnesses research, despite orders not to, find their way out. That's why this forum is so important. Look at the new members since it started.

r.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Need to read this tomorrow.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I think guys like Russell and Rutherford were just self marketing opportunists who were playing it out for their own personal benefit.

Just as those previous the newly placed GB are on the same path to self sufficiency and will fight their ground on that merit alone.

So do expect the doctrines to change as needed.

• besty
    besty

ready availability of high quality professional looking educational material

step forward - jwfacts.com, freeminds, jwr and a few others

just add time....they will die by a thousand cuts....

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

There is a period during our exit, between realising the WT is phony and those around us finding out that we have come to that conclusion, when we are at our most dangerous to the bOrg.

It is during this period, which may be somewhere between 5 minutes and 5 years, that we have our best chance of taking our loved ones out with us.

The vast majority of newbies on this board have already blown that chance and usually there are several family members left behind that won't talk to them any more.

Webmasters should have a good look at their sites and ask themselves if there is enough emphasis put on keeping your mouth shut until you know what you want and know how to get it. Don't ask me how to do that, I'm not a psychiatrist.

It's all very well building a site that gets Dubbies out quickly, but we could be far more effective if they didn't rush off and announce to their families that they have just realised they have been brought up in a mind control cult and that the Apostates are actually the good guys and that they have just joined them.

Cheers

Chris

• Lillith26
    Lillith26

Chris are you sugesting JW undercover agents- bringing it down/changing the 'arangements' from the inside before they leave???

• glenster
    glenster

I hope you come up with something good.

Think of it this way:

Lets say we agreed that the focus to show the methods the JWs leaders use to
    affect exclusiveness with their 12 or so rules meant to define them as the only
    rule makers of a literal 144,000

is like the focus to show the methods Popoff used--a transmitter in his ear--
    to affect exclusiveness as a healer who got messages from Jesus.

Let's say we agree that telling people on false terms to never allow the
    medical use blood and major blood fractions--God won't allow it

is like telling people on false terms to throw away their nitroglycerin and
    insulin--God healed them.

How much better a public show of it could you want than it being revealed on
    the Tonight Show with Carson? Even today, Popoff can't make the news without
    somebody showing a clip of it.

"Then in FYE 2005, Popoff received $628,732, his wife Elizabeth received
    $203,029, his son received $182,166, and daughter received $176,290 with
    $23,556,469 in revenue. These figures are from IRS documents, which 'only
    outline the millions of dollars people give Popoff's organization in the US.'"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Popoff#Financial_details

• Gayle
    Gayle

There are so many here that are sure doing their part. We've got the smart ones here, researchers, scanners, news reporters, humorous, the rightfully indignant, librarians with all the references, statisticians, the experienced at all levels from the organization, the broken hearted pouring out their hearts for their families within, victims of cruelty of some elders, CO, and the headquarters, victims of loved ones and friends dying due to blood issue, and the computer technicians, moderators, people sending letters out, people adding their comments as e-news come out pertaining to JWs, encouragers, prayers from those inclined, ones expressing how they are still stuck in the JW association because of family members and ties, and many with freedom to criticize or appreciate comments within the JWN circle. Ex-JW Meetup sites are popping up worldwide.

Then, there are so many, many other sites as they get their message out their way also. Facebook has hundreds of ex-JWs listed and will continue to grow. The young ones are coming out and they are not going away quietly. So many ex-JWs are writing books now. Maybe more movies, like "Worlds Apart" with with real stories of ex-JWs will come out. I think there is a "shouting" that is growing and getting louder.

I didn't think I would ever see the walls of Berlin go down as it did, by their own people. U.S.S.R. was hurting their own people, oppressing their own freedom of expression, affecting them financially, only taking from their own people. It caught up with them. Well, the WTS is getting exposure and will continue to. I don't expect it go down totally but it is being impacted. It has a bad spirit there and it cannot keep its horrible secrets anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit