Why do Ex-JWs start celebrating pagan Christmas?

by DubR 221 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• loosie
    loosie

Everything has a pagan origin. From wedding rings to names of the months. Even the story of Jesus has a pagan origin. So once a person realizes that it isn't a big deal, you start having fun and realizing that xmas is fun. It's fun to eat special seasonal foods, spend time with your family, give gifts, decorate. so have fun, afterall we have spent so many years in the truth not having fun.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

I'm repeating what others have said but for me:

-i'm agnostic now and don't know if I believe in any of the bible but even putting that aside its a nice time of year. People are relaxed and friendly and it makes me feel good

- i feel like it's he way that i can show (mainly to myself) i no longer consider myself a jw (i'm a fader).

• DubR
    DubR

hi guys and gals! I havent been on here since last thursday and I see were ALOT of comments added. First off I need to address some members who had smart mouth remarks; some had annoying remarks lol.

Avishai - I hope you get some rogaine foam for Christmas. They now have 3 month supplies lol. There was no reason for you to be a smart mouth first!

Outlaw - You remind me of a old person who has to have the last word and your sarcasm is NEVER funny. And its very annoying when someone feels they have to reposts portions of my previous post. By the way, most of the ridiculous justification for celebrating Christmas is what led to the rebuttal that I previous wrote!

Billy Ex - ALOT of what you posted made ALOT of sense (pants are pagan; everything is pagan). If you would have read completely read my post on page 4, I think you may have understood my point more!

Black Sheep - Yes, you are correct that Christians dont condemn us for not celebrating Christmas. At the same time, they condemn us for not believing in a silly book called the Bible!!! Also, I have yet to hear of a true Atheists that celebrates Christmas..I think you may want to reexamine where you stand!

For the rest of you that posted (in anger) answers without readin what I previously posted on page 4, I will repost it so that you can undersand the point I was trying to make. And someone who was angry said in a previous post that I didn't have a point to make. Well, for someone like you, I will gladly bold my points in my repost!!

DubR

• DubR
    DubR

Thank you all for your heartfelt answers!! On my earlier post, I should have said that when kids find out Santa isn't real they will look like . I have no idea why some people took the mad expression and turned it into, "they dont need therepy for the lie or when they find out cartoons aren't real they dont kill themselves or its better than lying and telling them they are going to paradise." Good gracious I just put a mad face there, not a commit suicide face or grave there after that statement. Which brings me to my point!! To all the atheists and agnostics (thats me!!) thank you for your straight forward answers basically saying that you celebrate Christmas because it is fun and you have the freedom to do it. Heck, thats about as honest as anyone can be and I respect that because that question had NOTHING to do with the bloodguilty Watchtower lying or killing people and what not. Now, to all of you professed Christians who love the LAWD, to me you are some of the biggest hypocrites out there. I mean come on, you know darn well that that holiday can be traced back to sun worship (worshipping a false deity) and its a lie from early churches to bring in pagans, a lie that actually involves your God or your Son of God (whatever you believe)! IF Jesus was real, there is no doubt in my mind he would be offended by this pagan holiday that makes him a part of! And I already knew how much stuff was pagan INCLUDING Christianity!!

Think about it Christians, you serve a God that will kill an innocent animal if a human forced it to have sex! You serve a God where if "his people" conquered a neiboring nation that didn't even know that God existed, he demanded for everyone to be slaughtered except for the young virgins! Then these young virgins would be gang raped and slaves by God's chosen men for the rest of their lives!! You serve a God that created day and night on the first day, created plants on the third day...THEN created the light producing objects (sun, moon; stars) on the fourth day!!!!!! Not to metion the many scriptures your God brags about being a JEALOUS God asking for exclusive devotion....or else!! So, not only is your God jealous, extremely vengeful, but he's also retarded (WTF DISTINGUISHES DAY FROM NIGHT AND WTF ALLOWS PLANTS TO LIVE???) People, if you had enough sence to WAKE THE F*CK UP to a retarded religion like the Jehovah Witnesses (yes its retarded) then why dont you have enough sence to WAKE THE F*UCK up to RELIGION and the BIBLE!! The JWs are just part of the problem.

Now personally for me to celebrate Christmas, would be like me celebrating a Zues day where Hercules plays the Santa roll!!Its just as silly (i mean). But I may eventually or even this year (my wife wants to with her family). Alot of you guys comments made it sound like Christmas is really fun!! Honestly, being agnostic, I know NO ONE will be in trouble if they celebrated Christmas. But, for all you Christians who do celebrate....the ones soo quick to tell anyone they are going to hell for not believing in God or the Trinity or other stupid bible stuff... You are the BIGGEST HYPOCRITES!! By the way, I will always think that passing the lie of Santa Claus down each generation is dumb. Take credit for how much you love your children early!! I mean from your own beliefs God hates you (God hates a lier because they originate from Satan the father of lies).

DubR

• DubR
    DubR

To each his own yo, but I was making a point to self-righteous Christians and these retarded "im anointed and part of the elect" Christians running around here that condemn atheists and agnostics but celebrate a holiday that Im sure would get them killed by their jealous retarded God!!

DubR

• DubR
    DubR

Also, I take back my statement about maybe celebrating Christmas this year or ever!! If I had (for example) a 6 year old and decided to buy him a PS3, I would not lie to him and tell him that Santa Claus was the one who payed over $300 for him (or magically conjured it up). To me that is a STUPID TRADITION!! So after reading most of these lame brain excuses of justifying why some celebrate Christmas, it reminded me of back when I told my oldest sister about the origins of the Jehovah's Witness. All she said was...."so, that was in the past. the organization doesn't do those things now anymore. the organization have changed and realized what they did was wrong. the organization only tries to help people." My sister justified the Jehovah's Witnesses and of course directing her statements to celebrating Christmas (after knowing the origins) it seems very similiar as to what some of you do to justify Christmas and Santa lol. So to sum it up, thank you all for input to help me make a choice that I wasnt sure on for a while since I left the JWs. I wont give in to the silly celebration (IMO) of Christmas. And when I say celebrating Christmas im talking about putting up a Christmas tree, saying Merry Christmas; passing down the lie about Santa Claus.

DubR

• mouthy
    mouthy

You must do what your heart leads you to do. That is why MY GOD gave you a brain

But what ever you do ,smile at folks as you waalk around because you dont know
    what a burden they are carrying in their hearts. Smiles warm others..I Know!!
    I feel better when a fellow human smiles at me as I hobble along.

I believe in Angels...I have entertained a few!!!!! Like Mary,Janet,Dan,Peter,Johanne,Betty,
    Sue,Nancy,Randy,Rick, Inez..Jason,John,Bill Stephenie ,Hugh,.. No kidding !!!they were Gods Helpers that extended their hand
    to me ....( they are the BODY of Christ,) some used their hands, some their ears, feet, heart,
    MOST their love

• DubR
    DubR

hi granny!! i must say I dont believe the Bible is God's Word, therefore I dont believe your God gave me my brain anymore. Also, I always try to smile at people ( I really am a nice guy and would give any member on here the shirt off my back). I will admit that religion has made me a bit bitter but I am still a nice and happy person throughout the year. And at the end of the day, it doesnt matter if one chooses to or not to celebrate Christmas. But, it will make it alot harder for ex-JW who celebrate Christmas to prove to family members who are still active JWs that they are RIGHT!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"But, it will make it alot harder for ex-JW who celebrate Christmas to prove to family members who are still active JWs that they are RIGHT!"

I'm passed trying to prove that I am right about the bOrg to my parents. Don't care anymore. There are none so blind as those to will not see and to each his own. I'd rather spend my time having fun with my kids decorating the tree.

Oh, and my kids did believe in Santa when they were small but amazing enough Santa never left them anything under the tree...my kids never made that connection, they just had fun with the fantasy.

• JWoods
    JWoods

I don't think it is correct to call the Santa Claus thing a total lie. There was a historical character at it's basis.

The paper had an article about this over the weekend - what it is, really, is a modern myth. Do kids think there is a real Peter Pan?

Do they think that Mary Poppins can actually fly? That Harry Potter can cast spells and banish demons? (if there were demons?) That King Arthur really ruled from around the round table? That there was a real Sherlock Holmes and that he solved all the Scotland Yard cases from about 1880 to 1910 or so? Really???

I think we should give kids a little more credit - sometimes they are smarter in a practical sense than the adults. For myself, I pretty well knew that Santa Claus was really my dad by about age 4 or 5 - and was much more interested in figuring out the wiring on my Lionel trains than worrying over the details of this mythology.

The family tradition, prior to JWism, was to have specific "from X to Y" wrapped presents on Christmas Eve, and on the Christmas morning there were unwrapped, unmarked "Santa Claus" general kids presents from everybody for everybody to share. Even adults got something on Christmas morning from "Santa Claus".

Don't you think that with all the other important issues in today's world, we as Ex - JWs could lighten up a little and let everybody else do and believe what they want to believe (provided they don't persistently troll it up here as deliberate agitation)?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit