Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Sylvia, for the bons mots!

Welcome. I wasn't feeling witty - weary is more like it.

My next installment should have special meaning for you and other bibliophiles ...

My heart is aflutter with anticipation.

Sylvia

PS Let me share this little tidbit with you before it escapes me.

I used to work in a bakery, and the owner was up there in age with very poor vision.

He used to make and decorate the most delicious and beautiful cakes.

Once, I took an order for a large sheetcake to commemorate a distinguished person's retirement.

An inscription on the cake was to read, "Though you may be older in years, you're still young in heart," or something to that effect.

Well, Mr. Bakerman wrote "you're still yong in heat" instead!!!

It was a Friday evening and we were so busy that I didn't notice it until the cake was ready for pickup.

I was mortified, but any attempt to "fix" the problem would have only added to it. The pickup man was extremely nice and understanding, and assured me that he didn't believe it would be a problem.

Well, come Monday, Mr. Pickup came in expressly to show pictures of the party and tell me that everyone got a great laugh out of the gaffe.

Whew!

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, Syl:

What a difference a letter makes! [or punctuation]:

Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia.

Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia.

As ever, thanks much for the "good words" in the purely literal sense!

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, indeed.

LOL.

Sylvia

• musky
    musky

Hello CoCo,

What a difference a letter makes! [or punctuation]:"

43 And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise.” (New World Translation)

43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (New International Version)

This verse came to my mind when I read your comment.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Musky:

That's one of the best examples. If I recall correctly, there is no punctuation in the original language; therefore, proper interpretation depends upon context ...

Well, we know where the WT goes with that one!

I appreciate your response.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

My arrest of attention upon movement upstairs was abruptly diverted by the slamming shut of the huge entry door, that accomplished with a huge sucking sound and consequent evacuation of a heavy, fetid atmosphere. More unsettled by my own annoyance at the rude interruption of the unfolding of delicious terror than I was by actual fright, I spun round and stopped dead, face-to-face with a most unexpected sight ...

What could have been only a hasty delivery by an unseen courier - so much of my account seems fraught with the unknowable, the invisible - was my scarcely determined assessment of a large wooden container's sudden arrival, landed squarely at the entrance. I saw the downward, lazy swirl of dust coming to rest whence it came, having been excited and cast upward from the box's crash to the floor's thick cushion of dust. My approach toward the mysterious carton was, needless to say, accomplished with the utmost caution, and not a little trepidation as my thoughts cast backward to the tale of Pandora. However dim the light stealing through the long unwashed glass proved to be, I was, nevertheless, able to read the name of the addressee ... Elizabeth Vincent, my long-departed mother. Any vestige of fear clutching at my heart gave way to an insatiable curiosity to discover what ill lay in wait for me from within the steep, rectangular walls of pine. In my mother's stead, I deemed it entirely suitable to take possession of her property.

Locating a crowbar amongst a heap of tools and diverse household paraphernalia in the kitchen, I hastened back to the box and began unfastening the several nails holding the broad lid in place. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to slide the tapered end of the bar between the tight seam between cover and box, I finally penetrated the seeming hermetic seal that, ironically, appeared to wish absolute denial of entry therein. The usual loud and protracted squawk of nails letting go their tenacious hold on wood did not disappoint for all its raucous clamor.

I worked my way around the carton - some three-foot-square was the lid - and at last had released each nail's fast hold to the box proper and set to pull off and lower the lid to the floor. Though I had figured the box to be pine for its light coloring and presence of characteristic knots, yet the top was exceedingly heavy. I managed it down by tugging at one corner, drawing it bit-by-bit toward me, then, likewise, the opposing end.

As I let out a sigh of relief over the unusual expenditure of time and effort, I let the lid drop, barely missing my feet.

• snowbird
    snowbird

What??? What???

Don't leave us hanging like this, CoCo!

Tell the rest, already!

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello, Syl:

Just got up, having a cuppa "with" dear Musky, then will set to work ... I do better at night, but then you're gone for the weekend....

Hmmm ... let's see. In the box, in the box ...

CC

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Hmmm ... let's see. In the box, in the box ...
    CC

Forgive my selfishness, ok?

You write the rest when you're good and ready.

Penitent Sylvia.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Goodness, that's quite all right, Sylvia!

Below are the words of Kenneth Roberts, written at the nadir of his discouragement vis-a-vis poor reception of his efforts at authorship:

I understood them to say my dialogue was inept, I was deplorably weak in delineating character, knew nothing about plot-structure, couldn't interpret history adequately and, generally speaking, would be well advised to turn to other means of livelihood. I'd worked hard on those books for [six] years without any noticeable reward or acclaim; and their reception and sales were discouraging in the extreme so much so that I was broke and on the verge of abandoning the course I'd charted for myself [six] years before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit