Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Syl and recovering, for joining in. Also, Syl, for allowing Miss Hine's nudge to your sense of grammatical decorum to undo your double negative.

Irregardless, you could of went and ignored it ...

Off for the day.

Congrats, Syl, to you and Claire!

Love,

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL.

If she knew, she would turn over in her grave.

She was a REAL teacher!

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

I Don't Believe I Would Have Made a Good Slave

Inspired by one of CoCo's entries on the Word For Today Thread, I've been mulling the thought of actually being held captive by an aristocratic, patriarchal, social order that decreed women - especially those of color - to be of inferior stock.

I think - know - that I would have rebelled against this mindset with everything in me. As so many others did, I would have learned to read and write, and would have wreaked havoc on the plantations by writing passes and forging the master's or mistress' signature.

Nothing on the Good Lord's variegated Earth would have kept me from teaching my fellow bondspeople to do the same. If I'd worked inside the Big House, I would have memorized every conversation so that I could retell it to the eager ears of the Slaves' Quarters occupants.

If I'd worked in the fields, I would have done such a good job that the Master would have gladly hired me out to surrounding plantations, thereby opening up even more opportunities for me to play my Harriet Tubman role.

Realistically, I know that sooner or later my activities would have been uncovered. If that had happened, I like to think that I would have gone to my end with my head held high, having done all that I could to right the wrongs committed against my people.

Aivlys Nedwons Slaes Nostaw

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Syl, for mentioning the inspiration come from inspiration!

I have thought frequently of Mohandas Ghandi's and Rosa Parks' contributions toward passive defiance in the face of wrongdoing in both high and low places. When my time comes to stand and be counted, I hope to do as a former Bethelite said at our meeting: 'Sometimes you have to take a stand for the truth in the Truth.'

I'm sure you get my meaning, dear Sylvia!

Love,

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

'Sometimes you have to take a stand for the truth in the Truth.'

I'm sure you get my meaning, dear Sylvia!

Love,

CoCo

Amen and amen to time indefinite!

Of course, I get your meaning.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Something Has Made Me Reconsider

As some of you may know, I've defended passionately Michael Vick's reinstatement to the NFL, and, while not condoning his dogfighting activities, have sought to point out the possible reasons for his behavior.

Well, something happened recently that has made me rethink my position.

One of my older sisters and a half-brother jointly own a plot of land way back in the woods. The brother lives in a trailer on the land and is raising pit bulls. My sister has a pig pen nearby.

Bro allowed his dogs to get into the pen, and you can imagine the gruesome results.

Sis said when she confronted Bro, he callously replied, "S--t happens."

Now, I don't know if Bro is raising those dogs for fighting purposes, but, given his uncaring attitude about the mayhem they caused, I wouldn't doubt it. It's just plain sickening what he allowed his dogs to do to those little helpless pigs.

My sister plans on filing charges against him. Witnessing her anger, grief, and disgust, I'm beginning to understand more how people feel about Michael Vick.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

My boss likes me

I mean really and truly likes me.

That fact helps a lot in making this job bearable, because, sometimes with all the stealing, slandering, and just plain old cussedness that people exhibit, I just want to pack my bags and baggage and go home.

I never knew that ordinary people could be so mean and callous toward each other.

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

Well, Syl, you have staying power.

In any aspect of daily living we experience the good, the bad, the ugly. I cringe when I think back to when I was a contributor to some of the above traits of unkind behavior. Patience and love, in the face of adversity [e.g., in the workplace] yield results, if not sooner, then later.

You realize this; I state what is obvious to me now but, perhaps, didn't register with me when I was angry or stupid or both.

It's great having the boss in your corner.

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

You realize this; I state what is obvious to me now but, perhaps, didn't register with me when I was angry or stupid or both.

I've been both, but never deliberately cruel or unkind.

I don't believe you have, either.

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Syl.

I was passionate but angry as a general rule; however, it was said that I was not malicious. I went on the defensive in the only manner I understood when being attacked.

Are we past most of the bad stuff now?

Have a good day!

Love,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit