Hope your pc isn't acting up, Syl ...

CC

• snowbird
  • snowbird
    snowbird

It has been acting weird, CoCo.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Glad, Syl, that YOU, at least, are all right!

When I was using different friends' pcs for several months, some worked here, some didn't.

Keep trying!

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am good.

I believe my g'daughter did something.

Little heifer!

• compound complex
    compound complex

I wasn't expecting anyone - not at this hour - yet there they were.

Given the location of this old house in the deepest tract of an ancient wood, it seemed unlikely that anybody had set foot inside the derelict building for decades. Flashlight in hand, I saw no evidence of tracks other than my own on the trail. When I approached what may at one time have been someone's home-sweet-home, it appeared that neither the grass had been flattened nor any twigs snapped on the tangle of bushes populating the long untended grounds.

A sense of profound loneliness engulfed me and would easily have paralyzed me, diverting me from my purpose. Purpose? Hardly an objective and meaningful one. The pull this house and property has had on me defies all logic. I can offer no adequate reason for abandoning my own safe space and venturing forth onto unhallowed ground.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The sash window I approached had relinquished much of its glazing to time and its attendant ravages. I wanted to peer inside though the predawn darkness would hinder my getting a decent look-see of the interior. Much to my surprise and dubious pleasure, however, there emanated from inside a weak yet sufficiently adequate glow that permitted me, at the very least, a tentative assessment of what lay within the decaying house.

Seeking a better idea whence the light came proved difficult at first. The crumbling window putty about the rotting muntins allowed, at best, a mere fragile hold of the squared panes in their respective places. Unthinking, I commenced wiping away at one of the panes. Instantly, it fell inward and crashed to the floor. I started as if concerned I had disturbed a sleeping tenant. Coming to my senses, I found that my inadvertent and clumsy efforts did, in fact, afford me an unhindered look at what must have been a very fine home ages ago ...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Old, abandoned houses, like the one in my avatar, will do that to you.

The peculiar thing is that if I'm visiting one, through the "aura" we humans leave behind, I can get a sense of whether the inhabitants were happy, sad, bitter, angry, etc.

The people who lived in the house in my avatar were hard-working, driven, church-going individuals who were determined to raise themselves from the vicious cycle of virtual peonage that obtained in Wilcox County after Emancipation.

My only regret is that I never got to know them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit