Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia - precious soul - has helped this tottering man stay on course.

I am touched deeply by your tribute.

May your blessings be heaped upon blessings.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

This Here Is Clare

"Sylvie, this here is Clare," said the hesitant voice on the other end.

Born in the backwoods of Alabama, with none of the modern amenities that we take for granted, it had taken a mighty effort on the part of her daughters to get her accustomed to using the telephone.

Sylvie, her baby daughter, had made good for herself. With a sterling high school academic record and two years of college, she'd acquired a coveted position with a local health care agency.

Whenever Clare had to call Sylvie's office (which was not very often), the receptionist put her through forthwith. Everybody at the agency admired and respected Sylvie.

Because she didn't want anybody looking down their nose at her dear mother, Sylvie had tried with much as tact and sweetness that she could muster to get Clare to quit saying "this here," but to no avail.

Then, with an alarming swiftness, the calls ceased. Some things would happen around the house that needed Sylvie's attention, but no call from Clare. When pressed as to why she didn't call, Clare would become defensive and defiant.

On Clare's next doctor's visit, Sylvie voiced her concern to the examining physician. He looked at Sylvie with resignation in his eyes. "Clare is 95 years old. What do you expect, honey?"

His words hit Sylvie like a fist to the gut. She'd known all along, really, but had been in denial. Their dear, dear mother was fading from this life. Time to call in the other sisters and make plans ...

There was no need, however. On a beautiful, clear Fall morning, with a deep sigh, Clare sheathed her sword and folded her arms.

Repose in peace, Clare.

This here is Sylvie.

Syl

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Sylvia:

A beautiful and touching paean to dear Clare. Thank you so much for adding these loving words to TADP.

Check pms in a bit.

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, CoCo.

Received and acknowledged.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Don't You Love This Here Place?

The hurting, walking wounded come here, seeking solace and acceptance.

They are welcomed.

Aspiring bards, journalists, politicians, and ministers congregate here and bare their respective souls.

They, too, are welcomed.

Long-time, selfless members who have put themselves out for the benefit of others, upon falling into difficult straits, are assisted without hardly a murmur from the collective.

People from all colors, stripes, and persuasions are treated with kindness and dignity. No one is made to feel worthless or undeserving, unless, unless that person persists in upholding the WT in its pernicious dealings.

If said person doesn't reconsider after repeated admonition, then, as we used to say in the backwoods, "May the Good Lord have mercy on your sorry soul, because I can't and won't."

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

He Has Returned

Once more, yet again, the word for the day thread is graced by his elegant prose.

Once more, my spirit is buoyed and lifted by his gentle attention.

Please tarry this time. We are made better persons by your presence.

Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

Clearing up, just a bit.

Syl

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, Sylvie!!!

I loved "This Here is Claire"!!!!

Glad you pulled this thread back up!!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

That is a great piece, isn't it Zid?

Sorry we haven't talked in so long. I always appreciate your thoughts and support!

I shall return....

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit