Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• musky
    musky

Hello to CoCo,Ziddina,Snowbird

just checking on the latest Darkened Pane posts.

I hope everything is going well for you all.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi, all.

Things are going well for me; I received my tax refund, and I'm spending quite a bit of it on books!

Yeah!

My g'daughter is showing me how to order them online!

I'm having a great time.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Keep buying those books, Syl! Great on your refund. I finally am working again, and I treated myself to lunch out
    today ... $4 and change! !

Hi Musky and Zid ... I'm still thinking of you and hoping for another connection. There's a local coffee shop,
    but it only accomodates wireless and I need to plug in with the ethernet cord.

Love,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

I have been reading - absorbing - the literary light from an age past, yet not one so far removed from my own.

When I am once again ready to put thoughts to paper, I shall do so, not with the puerile urgency of earlier
    days but with reserve and deliberation more characteristic of my enlightened today. I have been completely
    drained of any thought and emotion that could be lifted from my now captive spirit and gently transferred to
    the written page. Peering within my soul, I continue unable to see the means to refill the mind's reservoir, which
    currently allows only a trickle of merest scribbled mediocrity to escape from head to hand to pen to paper ...

For that reason I must away to the pages of other writers' books in hopes of discovering a light to replace my
    own failed....

• compound complex
    compound complex

This is one of my favorites and panes are involved ... picture and French:

It is getting dark.

A stiff wind is coming in off the bay and the eucalyptus trees are swaying. The two-story house next door does not block my view of the sea as it is set back a bit. What I can see is partially obscured by a stand of trees. The gentle back-and-forth motion of those graceful eucalyptus causes the light pouring through my window to cut in and out. Hypnotic. Comfortable. Warm.

Coming to, after a brief snooze, I throw a casual glance out the window and, even as I relate this, a shiver goes down my spine. I am unable to catch my breath. What is that on my neighbor's roof? Dark though the sky has become, there is no mistaking what is there. I am frozen ... its unearthly stare is fixed on me.

Its eyes - fitted into huge sockets within a gargoyle's head - are red-hot coals. My entire being is seared by what is about to become, in a matter of swiftly passing moments, an all-consuming conflagration. That considerable distance of seeming, relative safety from rooftop to bedroom affords me no consolation.

Strangely fascinated, I emerge from the initial state of shock and, by rapidly increasing degrees, find myself helplessly captive to full-blown horror. The immediate impulse in any ordinary emergency sort of situation is to reach for the telephone, punch out the requisite 3 digits and then anxiously await the arrival of the community's finest. I, locked into the creature's horrific stare, am incapable of movement. Of rational thought. Of coming to my own defense.

Terror has never been so delicious ...

Entrancement and enchantment each work their singular charm upon me as four eyes remain set in a fixed stare. Outwardly I am silently screaming, my head exploding and letting fly like shrapnel innumerable questions that have no possible answers. And inwardly? Dare I permit my glacial heart to melt at the unimaginable prospect that, perhaps, this otherworldly entity is my dubious savior?

Is he reading my mind?

I'm sinking ever further into this conflict of strange emotions, a tide of angst over which no straight-thinking could hope to prevail. My mind says run for your life, though that, of course, is a physical impossibility.

My foolish heart quietly insists that there is an unseen beauty in this being whose aspect defies all human description. Most would declare this a beast. Regardless, his presence would doubtless cause a brave man to faint. As I am really no beauty myself, I find it, in the beneficent Law of the Cosmos, unfair to consign any of the Great Spirit's creatures to the prison of human bias. Isn't it too ludicrous, that I, a captive audience of one, should render such pious judgment?

Released momentarily from my inward stirrings, I focus once again on the creature's face. His eyes ... they are no longer red but turned the color of the sea. Cool. Calm. Serene.

Is this chimera - whether real or in my brain - reading my mind?

Certainly my heart has not hardened in fear or revulsion. I know that the creature reads my heart, if not my mind. A gradual but, nevertheless, astonishing transformation occurs before me, so clearly visible despite the physical separation that maintains between us. The absurdly misshapen is metamorphosing into a comely form that commands my unbroken, wondering gaze. Scales of a peculiar geometric form fade into the pink smoothness of human skin. A warm glow surrounds what was only mere moments ago a horror of the darkest grotesquerie. What could only have been construed as his mouth has taken the shape of beautifully formed and sensuous lips. While otherwise stock-still for these fleeting yet intolerably protracted moments of physical modifications, my beast has become beauty.

Released from an appearance of suspended animation, my beauty begins to move but in an incredibly drawn-out slow motion. Slowly, very slowly, his right arm rises from his side and reaches upward toward me, his hand extended and beckoning. That mouth, those lips quiver ever so slightly ...

Beauty smiles at me.

I feel an unfamiliar restlessness in my lower body. My mind and heart coax me arise and seek what awaits outside the barrier of glass.

It is no longer a matter of fighting long-entrenched despair. A power beyond all that is humanly possible - even in the most extraordinary of circumstances - seizes hold of atrophy and regenerates what was once officially declared dead. In spite of myself, I arise from my imprisoning bed and, as if it were a completely normal occurrence, glide over to the French windows. I do not touch the handles yet, in the manner of a dream, the doors open before me.

Standing upon the balcony, I observe with the utmost clarity the pure magnificence of celestial beauty. My mind no longer questions the why, the wherefore nor the how ... My heart says I must follow its direction:

I could never lead you astray ...
    Something wonderful awaits you.
    Return to your room, stand before
    Your mirror and close your eyes...

It is still too much to believe that I arose from near total incapacity, hastened to the windows and beheld what dreams are made of. I've cast off all doubt regarding the validity of miracles in modern times. And Beauty - whether angel, alien or demon - convinces me in my heart of hearts that, truly, something wonderful is about to happen ...

Returning to my wardrobe, I momentarily close my eyes. Somehow sensing a subtle change in the direction put upon me, I open my eyes and look into the full-length mirror. I see only myself, no reflection of the room at all. There I stand, tall and erect, as in my vibrant and athletic youth. Now, however, it is as an assured, mature woman. Radiant. Smiling. Possessed, so it would seem, by an inner confidence emanating from my every pore. Behind me I sense a warm and comforting presence. It is he. The aura surrounding his now invisible self does not compete with my inner glow but interplays with it, creating a show of light, not of spectacular brilliance, but of undulating waves of luminescence.

My pounding heart fairly leaps from my chest. In the mirror are the likenesses of two men, one younger, one older. My brain must be playing tricks on me. I gasp. The older - a handsome man of not quite middle age - is clearly my husband, Jonathan. Who can that younger man be, who so resembles Jonathan? Is this father and son? No, it cannot be. Both Jonathan and Quentin were killed in the train ...

It was a lifetime ago.

I feel the gentle touch of a hand upon my shoulder. Rather than startle me, this tactile sensation calms me. As tears stream down my cheeks, I hesitate to confront the dream-like reality that remains unaltered as the mirror's reflection. I lower my head, overcome.

Beauty speaks barely a whisper into my ear:

Look again. There is nothing to fear. It is your husband
    Jonathan and your son Quentin. They've come to take
    you home.

Looking up once again into the mirror, I smile through my tears and gaze upon the beautiful countenances of father and son. My husband. My son. They reach toward me, bidding me follow them. I step closer toward the mirror ...

The bed that Sarah Gardner had languished upon for so many years is now empty. The eucalyptus continue to sway gracefully, their gentle susurration filling the former occupant's room through open French windows.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Ahhhh...CoCo...

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey, good friend, voideater ...

Good to be in touch, albeit briefly.

Thanks for stopping by.

CoCo

• snowbird
    snowbird

Just stopping by with a cheery hi!

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird

I Feel Young

I will turn 57 in November of 2010, but inside, I feel 27!

My hair is graying, gravity tugs relentlessly at my outer and inner parts, but I still feel 27!

I enjoy talking, teasing, playing with my grandkids, sending them into gales of laughter, collective groans, and rolling of eyes, yet I still feel 27!

If the inevitable should happen soon to my estranged hubby, I feel certain I will marry again for the third time. Or, should I say the first time?

At what point in my life am I supposed to "feel" old?

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Sylvia:

Let me think this over ... I'm downloading JWN to my files now that I'm online with my own pc [at a friend's and cannot concentrate much].

I understand; I don't feel old internally but sure do after working on my new job. Hope to get back again soon ... Great that you're having fun with the kiddies. !!!!!!!!

Love,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit