Through a Darkened Pane

by compound complex 730 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Astonished, incredulous, aroused emotionally.

Words, even when taken to the superlative level by that four letter word, cannot adequately describe my trembling, choked-by-sobs self. The capacious container was resting place to a multitude of books that had been lovingly and carefully arranged in a deep cushion of excelsior. Though this bevy of books had the evident look of relative antiquity about them, there was not the characteristic odor of must and damp so prevalent among cemeteries of long-forgotten books.

I reached with the utmost reverence for the volume that had caught my attention and won my affection as a mere lad: Arundel, by Kenneth Roberts. Knowing nothing then about the historicity of the American colonies' various accounts (some, I have since learned, are disputed as to accuracy), I was taken by N.C. Wyeth's cover art of Indians and settlers canoeing the swelling waters of the Dead River ... the Arundel River ... the Kennebec ... la Riviere du Loup? I cannot recall, but the deep blue waters tipped by creamy white caps, the crisp, colorful off-shore autumn foliage, the looming, inscrutable blue hill, have long since inhabited my imagination.

Once out of my memory-stirred reverie, I began slowly turning pages, traveling digitally the maps depicting the moves of Colonel Benedict Arnold and his men, the Prologue by Steven Nason (the story's protagonist). On page ten I caught sight of Steven's loving tribute to his mother, Sarah. Why my careful though somewhat random perusal took in that particular account, I've no clue - there was simply too much to take in, given my excitement and agitated sense of deja-vu. Nevertheless, the words were fitting, as I could have said the same about Elizabeth Vincent, my mother.

Steven thanked God for his mother's education ...

• musky
    musky

Hello CoCo,

I enjoyed our coffee.

You are a professional writer indeed!

Now,I wonder if,as you are basking in the books,you find yourself distracted by the beaconing of the staircase.Possibly some more books of the same caliper, just beyond the landing?

Or,maybe you are content with the current treasures, and will dismiss yourself from this uncertain house?

Thanks for your thoughts CoCo.They are very much appreciated.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Glad to see you, Musky! I was getting lonesome ...

The dark at the top of the stairs will still figure in, but I have to empty the box - talk about getting off on a tangent. Remember, this is still my imagination (from an earlier post); I haven't actually walked to the literal house in my neighborhood yet. Of course, given my mercurial nature, that could change in an instant.

I appreciate your input. Off and running again but hope to chat again soon.

All the best, my friend.

CoCo

• ziddina
    ziddina

Booooooookssss.... Sure to appeal to every bookworm/philologist who reads your story... Zid

jk

• compound complex
    compound complex

She read Shakespeare and Plato; in addition, she spoke French, some of which she passed on to her son, and that of no little benefit to him. Apparently Sarah Nason, nee Butler, wished her son to ponder matters other than the merely mundane: fish, weather, sleep. Regarding the outlay of funds for educational purposes in their district of Arundel, the citizenry were wont to decry the prodigal expenditure of fifty pounds a year. I have reason to believe that Steven rose above the loutishness of his neighbors, though he did not consider himself a man well versed in letters.

In like manner, with regard to the above comments relative to parents' mentorship of their malleable offspring, my siblings and I were encased, as it were, with books of every description. Whether the virtual overflow of every sort of reading matter in our cluttered bungalow had been principally for Elizabeth's personal enjoyment and, collaterally, that of us children, I do not know for certain my mother's prime motivation. Surely, she encouraged and promoted our literary travels by leading her enthusiastic bookworms each week to the ancient Carnegie Library of stone and ivy. I cried when the city tore down the venerable edifice where adventure and learning had come together and borne me. The replacement contained the same books of paper, spines and hardback covers, but the former atmosphere (one of enlightened decay) among the stacks was missing. The sanitized air of the new building did not sit well with me. I was just a kid; I didn't know why.

Somehow this dirty old house, whose true character I'm still not certain of, is in concert, silently so, with Elizabeth Vincent's container of books.

I must dig in further.

• musky
    musky

Thanks for you thoughts CoCo

I hope the "air" of the old house is one that will sit better with you.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey Musky,

Despite the shudders, I am breathing easier! Hope you and yours have had a good day.

Look forward to talking again soon.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

It is snowing. Silence falls upon the landscape and envelopes it, the ensuing stillness my outside and my inside.

I look upward toward my beautiful Moon's place of dwelling (we had been communing only days ago) but she has cycled out, waned her way once more into dark oblivion. Besides, what we call a snow sky - a smothering, featureless blanket of the softest gray - would, at the very least, block out her visage, if not her unbridled moonshine.

I am breathing easier. Drawing it in, blowing it out.

Momentarily removed from the life-sucking decay of the house, I enter once again into the realm of the present, the renewing, hopeful now. This drifting in and out of consciousness - how else might I describe crossing so effortlessly from flesh-and-blood reality to the pondering of memories past? - has me nonplussed. Elizabeth Vincent (mother? mentor? phantom?) has reconnected with her son who, in spite of his own accelerating advance toward the darkened, preternatural home of his parents, still deems himself in touch with the real world.

Somewhat so.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good morning, CoCo.

Can one really and truly ever go home again?

As I've mentioned before, I grew up way back in the sticks; my family were Luddites - no electricity until 1971, when we moved a little closer to "town." I want to go back, and at the same time, I don't want to go back. Does that make sense to you?

From the "aura" that emanates from your posts, I can detect your yearning to reconnect with your past. I think this longing for past familiarities begins somewhere around our 50th anniversary of being on this here earth. At least, that's what I've heard. (wink, wink)

I wanted to hyperlink "Luddites" and insert emoticons, but I can't get them to function. At work, I'm dealing with a lot of theft warrants, so I may sound a bit muddled.

I hope your day progresses quite nicely.

Sylvia

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear friend, Sylvia:

Wish you could see our unusually heavy snowfall ... my walk today will be beyond the ordinary inspirational.

Thank you for your understanding.

Despite the volcanic personality of Elizabeth Etna Vincent and its seismic consequences to our family, she was my original, beloved mentor. She is the primary connection, albeit broken, to my educationally golden childhood. Your posts reflect your actual as well as instinctive comprehension of the glory of knowledge and how its acquisition and imbibing deep into one's persona is life itself.

You tune in so beautifully ...

Love,

CoCo

BTW: what are theft warrants and why do they "muddle"you? And thanks for info on Luddites; will investigate further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit