Is it sexual harassment...

by keyser soze 129 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Hey, I could have some fun with this!

• AllTimeJeff
  • palmtree67
    palmtree67

I hate to break it to you, Doe, but that woman has no "hoo-hoos".

• John Doe
    John Doe

Forgive me if I don't take this very serously, but I think the sexual harassment pc movement has resulted in more abuse than it's helped anything. For instance, I knew a supervisor at a place I worked for years ago who didn't get along with a subordinate. He was a nice guy.

One day, as the female subordinate was coming in, he made the comment "You look brighted eyed and bushy tailed this morning." Now, that's a comment I've heard all my life applied to everyone, men and women, who look chipper. It has no sexual connotations whatsoever. However, she took that comment to hr and made a stink, and the guy got fired. That sort of story causes me to lose respect for the movement. The ridiculous notion that casually glancing at a woman is sexual harassment also causes me to lose respect for the movement. People need to pull their heads out of their collective asses and get real.

• watson
    watson

LOL @ JD.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    One day, as the female subordinate was coming in, he made the comment "You look brighted eyed and bushy tailed this morning." Now, that's a comment I've heard all my life applied to everyone, men and women, who look chipper. It has no sexual connotations whatsoever. However, she took that comment to hr and made a stink, and the guy got fired.

Bull. That may be what you heard, but I doubt seriously that got him fired. I agree it can go overboard, but it started because there was a problem. Let's hope most people have thier heads on straight, from both sides.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Bull. That may be what you heard, but I doubt seriously that got him fired.

You haven't noted the key language in the rule, have you. The key word is "offended," and if the person is offended, the superior is in trouble. Doesn't matter if there is also a personal vendetta involved.

I don't have personal knowledge of this type of case, but I've heard stories of where a woman made sexual advances, got offended when they weren't returned, and made accusations against the male party. To prevent this kind of abuse, the standard of proof needs to be fairly stringent, and companies should face punishment for firing someone based on unproved accusations as well as failing to fire someone on proved accusations.

• beksbks
    beksbks

It's not that loose Doe. It's actually pretty hard to do. I've seen this stuff happen.

• John Doe
    John Doe

It's not that loose Doe. It's actually pretty hard to do.

You're confusing a conviction in court with being unfairly fired and unfairly accused. Firing has a much more subjective standard and is different for every company. That's the abuse I'm talking about.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ok

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit