Is it sexual harassment...

by keyser soze 129 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

I worked at a large corporation a few years back and was working in a back room one day--I was counting inventory tags. The whole area was cleared of personnel and I was the last one in the area. I was a supervisor and the VP of our division walked in. I said "Hi Bob" and continued on my task.

Bob walked over to the desk, though he didn't say a word. I looked up. He stared at me, right in the eye. I stared back--it was odd for him to be so silent. He put his right foot up on the wooden chair that was next to the desk, looked at his left hand and proceeded to grab his balls. He fondled himself with such gusto I was astounded. I could only stare in shock.

Bob looked at me, then continued to give himself a handjob. I was T-E-R-R-I-F-E-D!!!

I grabbed up the remaining inventory tickets, I said "I'm done." and RAN! I wasn't done and actually could have messed up the inventory for that sector. All I knew is that the VP was standing in the office of the farthest, back part of our warehouse and he was wacking off.

I ran to the front office, found our manager, a woman, and told her what happened. She told me to calm down, get my tags in order and meet her in her office. I did and went to her office.

History: Bob, from the day I started, was a Boob Starer. He would stare at your chest while putting his hands in his pockets. He always wore a suit and would never talk to your face, only your chest. It didn't matter if you were 18 or 60, or if you looked like Yoda. He stared at womens breasts. I pointed out numerous times to my manager, Betty, how uncomfortable this made me. She always told me to shut up. Bob, I knew, was a son-in-law of one of the Board of Directors. He was a complete loser, IMO, who got his job due to Neopotism.

All the security guards knew about Bob and were told to follow at a distance when he was in the warehouse. Just in case Bob decided to act upon his impulses. (I found this out waaayyy later)

When I met Betty in her office that day, Bob never came back to the front office. Betty came back and told me the best thing would be to forget it ever happened. I told her I couldn't. He was digusting. He was beating off in front of me!!! She should understand. She said she did, however, both our jobs were on the line if I said anything to anyone. I couldn't believe she would tell me that. I asked to go home early. She let me.

I told my husband who wanted to go find Bob and beat the crap out of him. Between him and some friends, I was advised to call the company hotline and report Bob. I did and was told an investigation would ensue. I told them of Bob's history and all of my complaints. An investigation was opened.

A few days later things at work changed. Suddenly the security guards were following me around. I was being stalked around the building. I told all the other supervisors what happened. Men and women, they all agreed it was only a matter of time before Bob was caught doing something like that and they were thrilled that someone finally called Bob to task and reported him. They also said they saw him staring at women for years. All the women said he did it to them and all of their subordinates. I asked why no one had called the hotline before. They pretty much agreed that it was an unknown entity and were afraid to.

As I would walk through the warehouse, I would look at the security cameras, and mouth "Fuck you". I had to. The guards used to be my friends-co-workers. We were trying to do the same thing--get the product in and out without being stolen by employees. Now, I was being stalked by them--all because of Bob. I knew that they had been told to watch me and make sure I was just doing my job--supervising other employees and make sure I wasn't talking too much. They interrupted me if I talked to someone too much.

About three weeks later, I got called in to HR. The VP of HR, the President of our division was there, my manager and I. They said they were really disappointed that I hadn't taken Betty's advise (shut up and ignore what happened) and escalated the situation to corporate. As a result of that investigation, it was found that Bob did nothing wrong and he had a severe medical condition which required him to put his hands in his pockets and fondle himself periodically.

Jock itch. They said this sick bastard had jock itch and that was why he had to give himself a hand job, alone with me, in a back room. It wasn't sexual harassment. It was jock itch.

Since they felt the trust was broken with me, I was let go. I was given 2 weeks pay. Oh, and COBRA.

Was that Sexual Harassment?

I thought so, I never bothered to see an attorney. I couldn't believe that could happen. I asked if I could say good-bye to my co-workers and they let me. I told every employee what happened. They were appalled. I told them that unless someone else reported Bob, he would continue and the company would get away with it. Someone had to report him. They agreed, though they were full of hot air. No one did. They needed their jobs and the company effectively shut them up by firing me.

I have never shopped at that company and wish them ill. I hope they go bankrupt.

Bottom line? People who have power over another should keep it in their pants/skirt. If they can't then throw the book at them. They are in a position of power for a reason.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for that, VIII.

Wow!

Sylvia

• John Doe
    John Doe

vii, you should have seen a lawyer immediately. Did they give you anything in writing?

• VIII
    VIII

Weirdest part? They gave me a GLOWING review. Still do. I called the VP of HR and specifically asked about that, he agreed to be my reference. I could see he was the one person who not happy about what happened. His conscience kicked in I guess. I have been told, numerous times, I should have sued them. Yes, probably. I just couldn't see myself suing someone. Didn't know where to start. I got a new job immediately and wasn't out any income. I did find out they canned Bob as soon as the Director left the board.

I will never forget Bob's face as he put his foot on that chair or when he started grabbing himself. Jock itch my ass. If that was jock itch, I'm the tooth fairy.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Weirdest part? They gave me a GLOWING review. Still do. I called the VP of HR and specifically asked about that, he agreed to be my reference.

Of course they gave you a good reference. You could have made a shitstorm of trouble for them. First of all, they admitted to you that the guy was grabbing his crotch when they gave the lame assed excuse of jock itch. Secondly, they fired you as a result of your legitimate complaint. Additionally, aside from actual damages, this seems like a case where punitive damages were not out of the question.

Thing is, you don't have to know about suing someone. That's what lawyers are for.

• VIII
    VIII

No John, I never got anything in writing. I didn't know to. This was in the mid-90's and I was so caught off guard by what happened that I never thought to ask for anything. I thought for sure they would get people in the building to say "Yes, Bob does that all the time and I'm sure VIII is not lying."

I do know I signed some stuff, they let me clean out my desk and had security follow me around as I said good-bye to everyone. That was when I got to tell everyone what happened and to not let him get away with it again.

That is where calming down would have come in handy. I was so caught off guard by what they said I think I was a blob of jelly. I couldn't believe what I heard. I didn't want him fired. Just tell him to stop and desist. Leave us alone and don't let him wander and do that crap again.

• VIII
    VIII

Yeah, a friend, a few years ago, who is an attorney, different state, when I told him, was hopping mad. He wanted me to try to dig up what I could. I can't even find our tax returns from back then. I'm sure the statue of limitations has kicked in. I have seen the VP of HR recently, at Home Depot of all places, and he was very friendly. I was surprised. He didn't want to talk about that, but, was still pleasant. I am sure I saved them a lot of cash. I just didn't know how or where to start. Especially without the internet to help. Now? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• VIII
    VIII
    You could have made a shitstorm of trouble for them. First of all, they admitted to you that the guy was grabbing his crotch when they gave the lame assed excuse of jock itch. Secondly, they fired you as a result of your legitimate complaint. Additionally, aside from actual damages, this seems like a case where punitive damages were not out of the question.

Doh!!!!

I didn't realize that. Double Doh!! The admitting he grabbed himself....oh, f7ck! Honestly, it never occured to me that mattered. No wonder I got the great review. My husband, a really nice guy, has always just said "Just let it go". I've always agreed because, why rock the ship? We really weren't out anything, just really mad for a long time. Mad about Bob getting off. In every way shape and form.

Now, I'm more mad. Damn. But, it's kind of funny, because, I was so dumb. I always wore high neck tops too. Never anything that even showed a hint of boob.

• AGuest
    AGuest

And take it to an attorney (may you have peace!)!! Along with this thread. True, there is a statute of limitations but I can ASSURE you... that the company will offer you SOMETHING by way of a settlement. They do NOT want this kind of publicity... and who knows who else there is doing something similar NOW... because they never did anything with Bob?

They'll settle becaue they don't want ANY of this getting out publicly. Why? Because... it COULD lead to an ALL OUT investigation and a possible CLASS ACTION SUIT (given the fact that others knew about it and said it happened to them)! An investigation COULD show that you were not the only person fired for stuff like this, that the conduct occurred over many years, involved other "Bobs,"... and is still going on!!

Once a suit is filed, it become PUBLIC RECORD... and the news media will have a FIELD day! There are people's who JOBS it is to sit and go through court records to see who filed what against whom. That's how we always find out when some celebrity files for divorce, etc.

DO it, girl! Save a co-worker!! Look for whatever your attorney friend told you to... and get it to him or to another attorney. Call him and ask him someone, if you have to. If there was NO chance of ANYTHING... he would have told you that.

I bid you peace... and wish you success in this matter if you undertake it.

A slave of Christ,

SA, who knows how you feel 'cause I had another employer sit with his feet propped on his desk and look at me while pouring over the latest Penthouse magazines. Sick bastard. (Shaking head)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hey Shelby, always nice talking with you. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

VIII, sue their @$$. Really. Some corporations have binding arbitration, others don't. Look into it. You can and should get something for what you went through. It's about accountability.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit