Name Some Stupid Watchtower Rules or Ideas

by minimus 120 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

There's a lot.

One rule that is dumb is that a brother must wear a suit for a Sunday public talk that he is giving. Any other time, the brother could wear a suit coat with a different pair of pants and not be counseled for it.

Another dumb idea is that you cannot date a person unless you seriously might marry them. If you're on a date, you were supposed to always have a chaperone and holding hands might not be allowed as well as sitting together.

What other dumb rules and ideas can you add?

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

If you haven't gone to the meeting, or out in service, you better not attend any social functions. Very poor form.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

No beards for men.

No slacks for women at meetings/service.

No organized sports for children/teenagers.

No university education. (though this one has ebbed/flowed over the past 15 years or so)

• cantleave
    cantleave

Don't know if it was an official rule but Brothers were not allowed to grow their hair over the tops of their Ears in the 70's. They weren't allowed to have hightlights in the 80's and they weren't alloweed to have a "step" in their hair in the 90's i.e brothers are never allowed to have fashionale hair - Thank God baldness was never fashionable I would have been stuffed.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Women were not allowed to wear trouser suits or coulottes to meetings or FS.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sisters were not allowed to have more than piercing in each ear and Brothers were consdiered gay if they even thought about a piercing.

• minimus
    minimus

The Watchtower taught that blacks were inferior.

• undercover
    undercover

You must shun people who are announced as no longer a JW, even when you don't know why.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Didn't affect me personally but wasn't it also an informal rule that sisters should not wear thong underwear?

On the serious side, higher education was strongly discouraged.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Don't hold hands during a prayer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit